Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trainer Time--Too much-Too little?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 09:20 AM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Got a nice little trainer for Christmas and believe it is useful in keeping me fit during the winter. Problem is the more I read about methods the more confused I get. Had been settling in at 80 minutes a day. Now I read that one should not train too long on one. "most people find they don't want to do more than 45 minutes". And that every other day is sufficient. Good lord, I am 75 and doing 80 minutes! Am I not peddling hard enough or fast enough? Usually work up a sweat to some degree and yesterday took my pulse and found it to be around 75 percent of my maximum heart rate for my age during the middle phase (I start out easy and then work harder through the middle phase then easy again before quitting.) The other day I did 20 minutes of easy peddling and then an hour of cross country skiing.
Old 01-07-10, 09:38 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have no idea how long you should ride one. I ride mine until the boredom gets to me and I'm afraid Ill commit suicide if I stay on the infernal contraption one more minute.

edit - that's usually about an hour
Old 01-07-10, 10:20 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I have no idea how long you should ride one. I ride mine until the boredom gets to me and I'm afraid Ill commit suicide if I stay on the infernal contraption one more minute.

+1 with the minor modification. It's usually about 10 minutes before the boredom sets in. From that point on it's close to unbearable. Quitting smoking 35 years ago seemed easier than riding the trainer.
Old 01-07-10, 10:41 AM
bill_pfaff

Bikes: Treks 7300

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
Got a nice little trainer for Christmas and believe it is useful in keeping me fit during the winter. Problem is the more I read about methods the more confused I get. Had been settling in at 80 minutes a day. Now I read that one should not train too long on one. "most people find they don't want to do more than 45 minutes". And that every other day is sufficient. Good lord, I am 75 and doing 80 minutes! Am I not peddling hard enough or fast enough? Usually work up a sweat to some degree and yesterday took my pulse and found it to be around 75 percent of my maximum heart rate for my age during the middle phase (I start out easy and then work harder through the middle phase then easy again before quitting.) The other day I did 20 minutes of easy peddling and then an hour of cross country skiing.
Wow, God bless you for getting on the damned thing at all!
Old 01-07-10, 11:05 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like anything else, it's good to work up to a goal. Because of my work hours and desire to ride, I often (3x week) do 2.5 hours on Kreitler rollers with the Headwind resistance attachment. I have an iPod mounted to aero bars and watch or listen to stuff.

You get used to it...
Old 01-07-10, 11:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Too much time on a trainer sounds like BS. IMO, the reason that most do not want to spend more than 45 minutes is that it is boring. In general, I like to ride the trainer but I always have a goal in mind when I start. Just getting on to ride for fitness would be difficult.

I like your trainer / cross country skiing routine. Keep it up. I sounds like you are doing great.
Old 01-07-10, 12:45 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by jmccain
Like anything else, it's good to work up to a goal. Because of my work hours and desire to ride, I often (3x week) do 2.5 hours on Kreitler rollers with the Headwind resistance attachment. I have an iPod mounted to aero bars and watch or listen to stuff.

You get used to it...

builds character!

I think the advice the OP got was not a prescription, just a description of how most trainers get used. I'd say use it as much as you like, with whatever kind of training plan you like. One training book coach, Dirk Friel, has written a set of workout plans specifically for trainers. "Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cycling;" Velo Press, ISBN 1-931382-75-1. Start lobbying now for your early Valentine's present!
Old 01-07-10, 09:09 PM
ShootingCoach

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I feel too lazy to get on the trainer, I think about how much fun I had last year on the road, and about the goal to be stronger and faster this spring! Makes it easy to get on the beast and fire it up.

Right or wrong, one hour at a pretty good resistance, try to maintain 85 rpm for an hour three times a week. Have been a pedal masher forever, this spring I intend to FLY.

Three days a week at the gym on alternate days, and I patiently await warmer weather. Eighteen degrees now.
Old 01-08-10, 08:02 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShootingCoach
Right or wrong, one hour at a pretty good resistance, try to maintain 85 rpm for an hour three times a week. Have been a pedal masher forever, this spring I intend to FLY.
I highly recommend the Chris Carmichael "Cycling for Cadence" DVD. Done correctly, it will raise your cadence (and fitness) dramatically with just a couple of sessions.
Old 01-08-10, 11:54 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg

ROTFLMAO!!!! AMEN, I feel your pain!

Old 01-08-10, 02:17 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
ROTFLMAO!!!! AMEN, I feel your pain!
I'm here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.
Old 01-08-10, 03:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Here is a link to my coaches website that discusses trainers, time and use etc.... https://sportvelo.com/tips/stationary_trainers.htm
Old 01-09-10, 08:07 PM
Doubleplay

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Aside from the boredom factor riding indoors on a trainer is much more efficient training method than riding outdoors. There are no outside factors such as traffic, stop signs/lights, weather, etc.. and most important of them all no coasting. It is a great tool to increase your level..