Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I almost got doored - yet most drivers blame me. How do we improve car culture?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I almost got doored - yet most drivers blame me. How do we improve car culture?

Old 10-12-19, 12:30 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Saw this today - couldn't resist posting it. Seems appropriate.

https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/theothercoast/

EDIT: Whoops - Seems that the URL will take you to the current cartoon for that day. I intended to reference only the Oct. 12 cartoon. It can be reached by selecting the back arrow to the left of the current date.

I could post a pirated jpeg file of the correct graphic, but hesitate doing so due to copyright stuff . . .

Sorry!

Last edited by MNebiker; 10-13-19 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Mistake!
Old 10-31-19, 05:54 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Well, the great majority of cyclists are motor vehicle owners/operators so by definition that's where we start. I was in a club years ago and it was during that time that we and other VA clubs were successful in getting the State vehicle code revised with the bicycle now treated as a vehicle and subject to all of the vehicle code while also having the cyclist's right to be on the highway codified. Many non-cyclist drivers still are not aware of this.
Back in those days I rode the highways but now things have really changed - I wouldn't be caught dead on an arterial street or highway. People have gone insane on the road now. I stick to the subdivisions, parks and dedicated trails. The greatest danger now is distracted drivers weaving to the right into the bicycle area without even being aware they are doing it. I don't know about any other areas of the country but here we have had a tremendous increase in vehicles leaving the road for no apparent reason and plowing into emergency vehicles, crossing the highway and entering the opposing lanes and hitting obstacles. it seems like there is at least one in the news every day. Of course, it is the cell phone that is occupying their attention span. This is an epidemic and is only going to get worse regardless of laws or enforcement.
The only thing I can think of is to pray for mandatory autonomous vehicles.
Old 11-01-19, 04:58 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Things that some people here are saying is only remotely likely.

From 2/2018.

Not sure if it would work to detect bicyclists but it doesn't appear that it would hard to do.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/see-...ure-in-action/

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/why-hyundai/smartsense.aspx
Old 11-01-19, 05:07 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Cool idea. One question I have, though, is how large the object being sensed has to be for the system to actually work. A cyclist is a lot smaller that any car.