Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you exceed max tire pressure?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 08-08-19, 03:16 AM
torger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

I like to have performance tires on my bikes, sure less hard-wearing than touring tires, but I find they are more comfortable, have less rolling resistance and better handling, so I can accept the higher cost and wear.

However, tandem have the special need of high pressures to support the team weight. Looking at max pressures on performance tires there are actually quite few that can handle as high pressures as we need. Reading on this forums about which tires people use it seems to me that either many run at higher pressures than the max printed on the tire sidewall, or they run at lower pressures than typical recommendations for the bike + team weight.

Many performance tires, especially for gravel, are tubeless only these days, and those often have lower max pressure than tubed tires did. Schwalbe G-One 35mm for example have a maximum load of 75kg and maximum pressure of 70psi. To use 35mm tires on the tandem we need about 80 kg load and 80-85 psi, so to use the G-One's we would have to exceed the specification. I suspect that when running tubeless tires with tubes inside as we do you could exceed it some, but I'm not sure it's safe or not. So I went for Hutchinson Overide 35mm tires instead, which are rated to 86psi, that is just above what we need.

Any experience/recommendations?
Old 08-08-19, 05:23 AM
marciero

Bikes: 2005 CoMotion Speedster, 2014 Cannondale T2, various single bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, I've not heard of "tubeless only" tires. You always have the option of putting a tube in there.

The problem with higher pressures on tubeless is blowing off the rim. All kinds of warnings about this, but people seem to have different experience. This is usually not a problem with wide tires since the pressures are lower. I've run 47 and 48mm tires at 45-50lb tubeless on our tandem without issue. But tubeless on a tandem, regardless of pressure, seems to be beyond some teams' comfort zone.
Generally, I run much lower than "max" on single bikes, and higher but still well under max on our tandems. Of course it depends on team weight, but do you really need 85psi? Our 700c bike has 35mm tires and we run about 55-60psi, though this is admittedly on the low side.

But again, just use a tube if dont want to go tubeless.

Last edited by marciero; 08-08-19 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 06:14 AM
torger

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
I should have been clearer with what I meant with "tubeless only". Panaracer Gravelking can be bought in a tubeless version and in a tubed version. Schwalbe G-One too at least a couple of seasons ago. But many models only exist as a tubeless version, and these often have quite low max pressure markings. As you say you can of course run tubeless tires with tubes, but the max pressure put on the side is generally for tubeless operation as that is what they are designed for. Maybe one can push it when a tube is in?

On the Panaracer tubeless tires they specify two max values, one for tubeless operation, and one when it is used with a tube. One example: 35mm tubeless max 60 psi, with tube max 70 psi, that is a bit higher. That got me thinking that if using tubeless tires with a tube one could push the max spec a bit, 15-20% or so, which would bring most performance tires within limit.

...or just run with a lower pressure. I haven't had time to play around too much with pressure on the tandem yet, what I've done is using a calculator to translate the pressures I use when I ride gravel on my solo bike to the weight of the tandem+team, and then I end up at 102 psi for 28mm tires, and 82psi for 35mm. I guess I shall try drop it down 15 psi or so and see how it rides.

For reference, our weight with bike is about 150kg (330 lb), which is not super-light but not too heavy either. So I was thinking that many would have trouble to fit within the max pressure. Or my current pressures are just way higher than people use on tandem.

Last edited by torger; 08-08-19 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 07:40 AM
marciero

Bikes: 2005 CoMotion Speedster, 2014 Cannondale T2, various single bikes

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by torger
I should have been clearer with what I meant with "tubeless only". Panaracer Gravelking can be bought in a tubeless version and in a tubed version. Schwalbe G-One too at least a couple of seasons ago. But many models only exist as a tubeless version, and these often have quite low max pressure markings. As you say you can of course run tubeless tires with tubes, but the max pressure put on the side is generally for tubeless operation as that is what they are designed for. Maybe one can push it when a tube is in?

On the Panaracer tubeless tires they specify two max values, one for tubeless operation, and one when it is used with a tube. One example: 35mm tubeless max 60 psi, with tube max 70 psi, that is a bit higher. That got me thinking that if using tubeless tires with a tube one could push the max spec a bit, 15-20% or so, which would bring most performance tires within limit.

...or just run with a lower pressure. I haven't had time to play around too much with pressure on the tandem yet, what I've done is using a calculator to translate the pressures I use when I ride gravel on my solo bike to the weight of the tandem+team, and then I end up at 102 psi for 28mm tires, and 82psi for 35mm. I guess I shall try drop it down 15 psi or so and see how it rides.

For reference, our weight with bike is about 150kg (330 lb), which is not super-light but not too heavy either. So I was thinking that many would have trouble to fit within the max pressure. Or my current pressures are just way higher than people use on tandem.
Having a tube in the tire greatly minimizes blow-off potential of any tire. That's why tubed tires hardly ever blow off the rim-whether they are tubeless design or not. In fact, a tubeless tire run with a tube will be less likely to blow off the rim than the same tire without the tubeless design. I cant say how much increased capacity but I think you are safe using the Panaracer as guide and adding the 17% (10/60)

Last edited by marciero; 08-08-19 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 07:42 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
We're a 320-330lb team (including bike), as well. I consider 35mm tires to be road tires, independent of what they're marketed as. In fact, I'm really glad that "gravel" tires are so popular because it makes for a wider selection of tandem road tires. I'm a big fan of the Panaracer Pari Moto and Gravelking series of tires. We've used 38, 42, and 48 slicks on the tandem - all performed wonderfully. I also really like the 2.35" Schwalbe G-One Speed, but not many tandems have clearance for it.
For your purposes, you might consider the 40mm G-One Allround, 38mm Gravelking, 33mm Challenge Strada Bianca Race. You can also use rims with more internal width to get wider tire profiles.
Old 08-10-19, 12:41 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
It should never be necessary to exceed the posted max psi stamped on the sidewall. At max psi a tire should be incapable of any significant deflection no matter the weight of a team.
Old 08-10-19, 07:00 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We don't exceed max pressure. As the OP pointed out, it's possible to find tires which will work below max pressure. We run Conti 4KIIs in 28mm (31mm inflated on a 23mm rim) at 95 lbs. Max is 116.
Old 08-15-19, 07:59 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It should never be necessary to exceed the posted max psi stamped on the sidewall. At max psi a tire should be incapable of any significant deflection no matter the weight of a team.
+ one!!
Old 08-15-19, 09:49 PM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Torger,

We are a 350 lb team and have been tandeming for the last 19 years with 700x28 or 700x32 32 mm road tires. The heaviest tires we have run were probably 32mm Gatorskins (wire bead). I also like tires that lean towards performance versus durability for comfort and lively feel. Currently we are running Continental Grad Prix 4 Seasons on the rear and Continental GP 4000Sii on the front, both 700x28mm. With 28mm tires I generally run 105 psi/115 psi (front/rear). With 32mm we run 95 psi/105 psi. These pressures are generally about 10 psi over the sidewall max. We've had no problems doing this for the last 19 years (~25,000 miles).

Tailwinds,
Charlie

P.S. We don't incur a flat that often, also I am not afraid of flats. So for me, there are only negatives to using heavier, more "durable" tires.
Likes For Chancy:
Old 08-16-19, 06:32 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
We, as Chancy, may run our pressures at or just above the recommended sidewall numbers. We are a tall large team (400 lb) and have had many good years with the Gaterskins. We run our 28's at 115 front and rear and our 32's 105 front and rear. We rarely have flats and they typically come at the end of the tire life when I should have already replaced the tire. :-)
Old 08-23-19, 03:46 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
We are also a 400(+) lb team and have/still do run 28mm gator skins front and rear at 115-120 lbs for years with no issues at all.
Old 08-27-19, 05:26 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I do tubulars. Some don't have numbers. Generally I run about 130 on anything from 25-28s cause I like the feel. At one time I was running 23s at 170s (Tufos) and like riding on cardboard.
I did get a small glass cut this week (1st time on the Vittoris's ) and used Stands and pumped to a full CO2 16g cartage on the rear 28mm. That took us to around 70PSI and worked fine, but I could feel the sqush.
130 makes me feel better.

I used to run MAVIC ceramic rims and clincher 23s @~140. That was for a spell to see if these clinchers were all that as I had heard around 1992. They were not. 2 X blew the brake tracks off, once blew the front hitting a rock and spent the day getting stitched up with this lovely girl I asked to marry me. Went back to tubulars about 25 years ago which is all I trust having by bride on the back.

Last edited by Doge; 08-27-19 at 05:30 PM.