Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting over bike shorts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Getting over bike shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-19, 11:55 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
It doesn't bother me because:

1. People watch American football with dudes in spandex pants slapping each other on the bottom and reaching their hands between the guy's legs.

2. Guys and girls wear what are essentially panty hose as pants these days. So tight you can make out a female's vulva from 30 yards away. Gasp if you must, but don't you look at car accidents or fires? Cause you know they're going to do some yoga in the middle of the grocery store aisle.

3. Once you've snagged shorts on a saddle or part of the bike, you'll wish you weren't covering your bike shorts up.

4. Bike shirts are soooooo handy and good at what they're designed for. They hold your food, a hand pump/spare, a wallet, wick away sweat better..........etc.

5. Cause more aero.
Old 09-05-19, 12:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by scotton
When you start going far enough and fast enough to realize that the two parachutes strapped to your thighs are slowing you down, your give-a-crap meter will reset to zero and you will get some tight shorts. Shortly after that, you will feel every flap of your shirt is a wasted watt and you will start shopping for tight jerseys. Face it, if you are on a bike, 90% of Americans already think you're a dork. Might as well lean into it and be a fast dork. The pros aren't wearing skin suits to show off their spaghetti arms and ridiculous quads, they wear them because the enemy is wind and tight clothes are armor.
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Sorry, but the practicality of the "skin suit" (i.e. tight cycling clothing) goes well beyond mere aerodynamics. I commute 7-8 miles (each way) every day. I ride hard and I arrive at my destination drenched in sweat. There's a massive difference in comfort (and healthiness) when riding like that in tight clothing vs. regular clothing (and yes, I tried both). So, no this is not just "playing dress-up".
Originally Posted by surak
No one suggested that the OP should wear a skinsuit. At most people are explaining why not having flapping clothing has its advantages. But do carry on amusing us coming into threads bringing nothing but opinions that somehow prove that you can flout reality, supported by unverifiable stats as though you are an exception to physics, and making absurd interpretations to rational arguments to make yourself look like the only sane man in the room.

Surak--I just hope your grasp of reality is a bit better than your ability to describe a thread.

If the comparison is between "flapping clothing" and aero kit, there would obviously be a bigger difference than there would be if the comparison was between aero kit and what I wear, which is a relatively snug t shirt and cargo pants.

Yes, I understand that my claims are "unverifiable" but so are pretty much everyone else's on this forum. I don't lie, but I really don't care whether you choose to believe me. But you know what else is unverifiable? A pro's claim that X factor caused his victory, and there's plenty of reason to be skeptical of the pro's motivations in saying so.
Old 09-05-19, 12:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Pro cycling's dirty little secret: pros are only wearing cycling kit because they're being paid!
Old 09-05-19, 12:03 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
4. Bike shirts are soooooo handy and good at what they're designed for. They hold your food, a hand pump/spare, a wallet, wick away sweat better..........etc.
Yes, the rear pockets. They're a HUGE convenience, though I often get a cramp in my neck trying to reach for something back there on really long rides.
Old 09-05-19, 02:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Awaqa909
I would like to get more into cycling. The goal to eventually commute to work, witch is 10~ miles away. But there are problems with doing that, like arriving sweaty/smelly
riding more will help you adjust to perceived discomfort. 10 miles is an ideal commuting distance. if you drive now, you can stock supplies with your car & try a bike commute once. also try it on a quiet Sunday morning. a nice 20 mile round-tripper. check out the bike commuting subforum for strategies to deal with cleanup & changing, etc. such as a shower before you leave home & doing a complete strip down, washcloth wipedown & dressing in fresh clothes. I put up a list here
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-05-19, 03:53 PM
Illgot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
When you start going far enough and fast enough to realize that the two parachutes strapped to your thighs are slowing you down, your give-a-crap meter will reset to zero and you will get some tight shorts. Shortly after that, you will feel every flap of your shirt is a wasted watt and you will start shopping for tight jerseys. Face it, if you are on a bike, 90% of Americans already think you're a dork. Might as well lean into it and be a fast dork. The pros aren't wearing skin suits to show off their spaghetti arms and ridiculous quads, they wear them because the enemy is wind and tight clothes are armor.
I quicky got over how silly I looked when it was 109 degrees with 90% humidity and my regular shorts kept pinching my manhood.

I never wore a wicking jersey or sportswear before bike shirt/shorts and was amazed at how cool/dry it felt when the wind hit me.

Last edited by Illgot; 09-05-19 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 04:04 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
How did you get the confidence to wear nothing over your bike shorts?
Once upon a time, I refused to wear bike-specific clothing. Even did a century in "normal" clothes.

Then, padded shorts happened - under other clothes, of course. It was much more comfortable and put an end to various problems. Next, I got tired of carrying a bag around and got a jersey with pockets. I already felt like a dork in the jersey, so stopped wearing anything over the shorts. Eventually, I found tighter jerseys and bibs more comfortable and decided that bright colors were probably a hot idea.

Somewhere along the line, I just stopped caring. Now, I have no problem wearing bike kit in the grocery store or walking into work. The stuff is comfortable and practical, especially in non-ideal weather conditions. At this point in my life I'm too old to be cool, anyway.
Old 09-05-19, 04:11 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
If the dude wants to ride in his underwear, who are we to judge...
Old 09-05-19, 07:06 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 07:35 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
If the dude wants to ride in his underwear, who are we to judge...
You ever hear of "eye candy?" Well the reverse also exists. Answer: because we're the ones that have to see him.
Old 09-05-19, 09:51 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
For the OP. Years ago,I resisted wearing cycling shorts. But a 50 mile ride without padding changed my mind. I was in pretty decent shape at the time, but I wasn't super comfortable in my skin, so to speak. After a month, I wasn't even thinking about it. Before the cycling shorts, I was running in unpadded compression shorts. And for some reason, that didn't bother me... Odd, I know. Took a couple more years to switch to a jersey... The pockets are great, but being able to unzip the front when getting hot is killer!!!

Fast forward 20 years or so... After 15 years off a bike, I had a knee replaced and decided to get back in shape. The bike was my choice, and after losing a few pounds I ordered some shorts, for my hour plus on the bike on a trainer. When the weather warmed, I didn't even think about the shorts when I started riding outside again. Had that pair cut off me a few months later when I crashed bad...

I won't bore you with that recovery and such. I gained a LOT of weight. Last year I had weight loss surgery. I'm down 110 pounds form that, and 132 from my heaviest. And I thought nothing of bike shorts. At first. I think I need a better padding... As my posterior has lost all of the excess and then some. Basically, I wear the shorts away from the bike as I need to, and just don't even think about it. Actually, I look a lot better in kit now than I would have a year ago!

Last week, I stopped at a convenience store after a ride. A little old lady, prim and proper, whispered to me, that I shouldn't be wearing such obscene shorts in public... I whispered back, "you shouldn't be looking!" And winked at her... My inner fat guy was jumping up and down... But my grin was stuck on my face for hours... Best compliment ever for a guy at 246 pounds...
Old 09-06-19, 09:15 AM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I take spin class three times a week, for about 8 years now. I always wore padded shorts and have gotten many pairs free or used online. I would never want to ride without them.
Old 09-06-19, 10:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I would never buy used cycling shorts.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 09-06-19, 01:53 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
stuff a banana down there and walk with confidence
But make sure you stick it down the front.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-06-19, 01:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Are there threads on scubaforums.net where people post about not wanting to wear a wetsuit lest people think they look like scuba divers?
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-07-19, 09:18 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Are there threads on scubaforums.net where people post about not wanting to wear a wetsuit lest people think they look like scuba divers?
Yes.
Old 09-08-19, 07:16 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I would never buy used cycling shorts.

-Tim-
I don’t know where that comment came from, but I wholeheartedly agree.
Old 09-08-19, 12:14 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Haha...
Old 09-08-19, 12:16 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
But make sure you stick it down the front.
Don't want to mistake sides!
Old 09-08-19, 04:10 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Used bicycle shorts! I will pass on that.

I hate padded shorts.

And the OP is not getting over wearing cycling shorts, he is trying to get over wearing underwear as an outerwear!

I would have a hard time getting over that too. Clothing etiquette you have to admit is a bit weird anyway. What passes as appropriate in one place is not in another. But generally speaking, perhaps some exceptions, underwear is generally not appropriate as outerwear.
Old 09-08-19, 10:02 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I've been cycling a couple times a month, about 5 miles. On my cheap road bike. I'm slowly building up my cycling gear. I just got another "Baleaf Men's Bike Cycling Underwear Shorts 3D Padded Bicycle MTB" and am wondering when I should get a top and cleats. Though I kinda have a problem with cycling clothing. I'm not sure if the shorts I have are supposed to be underwear or what. I usually wear them commando, with basketball type shorts over them and a t shirt. I see cyclist riding without my basketball shorts. I just find it... well embarrassing. They're kinda revealing and it looks like there's a giant pad stuffed in. (male here) At least with my shorts. How did you get the confidence to wear nothing over your bike shorts? I feel like they're the speedo of the shorts world...

Thanks,
Awaqa909
When I took up riding, there was NO way I was going to wear cycling shorts. Couldn't understand why anybody did. Or: tights in the winter...I rode in street cloths..ugh. I broke down first in winter. Wearing jeans, I sweat, the wind blows through you chills you....tried a pair of tights and it was remarkable how much better I felt.
So when it got warm again, I bought my first pair of cycling shorts....left my house, and by the time I was about half a block away had to ask myself: why didn't I do this a long time ago? SO much more comfortable in so many ways (but not much fun when you're NOT on a bike).
Old 09-08-19, 10:25 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Used bicycle shorts! I will pass on that.

I hate padded shorts.

And the OP is not getting over wearing cycling shorts, he is trying to get over wearing underwear as an outerwear!

I would have a hard time getting over that too. Clothing etiquette you have to admit is a bit weird anyway. What passes as appropriate in one place is not in another. But generally speaking, perhaps some exceptions, underwear is generally not appropriate as outerwear.

Its only weird when its out of place. Imagine football players wearing suits during a game on the field. Now imagine them wearing their play uniforms at an after game victory celebration. During the activity, the uniform of the sport is not only aprpr8iate but expected.

On the other hand, I wouldn't wear biking shorts to go out away from the activity. Although women do now wear leggings as street wear so times can change.
Old 09-09-19, 07:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Wrong analogy--this is general cycling. Better analogy would be people on a swimming forum telling people they need to wear a wetsuit to do laps in a pool.

You can prove anything you want using analogies.
Old 09-09-19, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Pro cycling's dirty little secret: pros are only wearing cycling kit because they're being paid!
I assume that's addressed to me, and I didn't say that. I said that "you should wear x while you commute because pros wear x" is a stupid argument. One of the reasons is that pros do make some choices based on getting paid, so when they say "x is important" as opposed to "y is important", you really don't know their motivations. That's not saying that kit isn't important to them, just that they have a financial incentive to make the kit seem more important than it is.

The other rather obvious reason is that the kit and equipment needs of a racer have about as much to do with those of a commuter as a Formula 500 car has to do with an SUV.

I also just rode 200+ miles in 2 days wearing cargo shorts and briefs, so I just feel a need to push back against the "serious riders all wear X" nonsense I see on these forums every day.

Try them and if they work for you, great! If they don't really seem like they bestow any benefit, though, you shouldn't feel a need to wear them because people tell you they're a necessity. Most people who bike have never worn cycling shorts ever.
Old 09-09-19, 08:05 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
People need to get over themselves, not shorts.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.