Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I'm almost not a Clyde anymore!

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-28-19, 11:47 AM
RVH
Bob in the mountains

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 (2004 model bought used)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Not quite three years ago I tipped the scales at 252 lbs. At 6'3" I didn't look fat, but I was a big guy (42-inch waist). But after riding 500-1000 miles a summer and changing my eating habits I lost the weight. This morning I weighed in at 203! (36-inch waist)

People ask me "the secret" and I tell them I realized that no one ever tied me down and forced me to eat a Twinkie! EVERYTHING I ate, I did so voluntarily. So, with that realization, I started asking myself if I really wanted to eat it or not? I found that I was eating out of boredom. I still eat
my ice cream every night and still eat sweets, but when I do, I do it consciously. That way, it's ME deciding, not eating what some stupid diet told me to do or to restrict portions because a book told me to.

I hope this helps someone. Understanding that I control my destiny has made my life better.
Old 08-28-19, 12:08 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Congrats!

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-28-19 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 01:11 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts
Congrats! My doctor has set a similar goal for me. It's not easy when you work for a candy company.
Old 08-30-19, 07:18 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts
Congrats !
Old 08-30-19, 07:22 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Good job! I’ve slipped below 200# for the first time since 1977. Peaked at 275 in 1999 or so.
Old 09-04-19, 05:29 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by RVH
So, with that realization, I started asking myself if I really wanted to eat it or not? I found that I was eating out of boredom.
I still eat out of boredom, but at mealtime, I really want to eat it. And I really want to eat seconds.
Old 09-12-19, 08:33 AM
Oli_Aponte

Bikes: Custom steel bicycles made by me and a Felt B12

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats!! I'm currently down almost 25 pounds.. I'm 5'11" currently sitting at 274.. with a 38" waist. A lot of people dont believe how heavy I am.. I guess its the wide back and big quads, and some gut where all my weight is at. Been doing keto on order from the doctor (pre diabetic, high blood pressure). Its a challenge, changing all my terrible eating habits, but the progress has kept me motivated to keep on track.

I guess the hardest part is keeping the weight off.. In highschool and college I was pretty fat.. I was able to lose almost 100 pounds and looked lean and athletic.. but I got a 9 to 5 with plenty of snacking.. sprinkle in some depression.. and packed on about 120 pounds.
Old 09-12-19, 09:50 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
That's a bit harsh, JudithJohnson

Oli, I'm similar, my frame is such that everybody guesses I'm 30-40lb lighter than I actually am.

The key is really limiting intake, that has way more of an effect than exercise (though of course exercise is good). I find I need to pile on projects/hobbies/whatever to keep me busy and my mind engaged in something, otherwise I want to snack out of boredom.

The fundamental insight I have come to (that I have trouble following through on) is I need to be hungry sometimes. If it's mealtime and I'm not actually hungry for a meal, then I ate too much during/since my last meal.
Old 09-12-19, 10:04 AM
Oli_Aponte

Bikes: Custom steel bicycles made by me and a Felt B12

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JudithJohnson
You need to go to the gym.
who says I dont?.. even when I was the fattest I've ever been, I went to the gym.. zero self control and very poor eating habits got me to where I am.

Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's a bit harsh, JudithJohnson

Oli, I'm similar, my frame is such that everybody guesses I'm 30-40lb lighter than I actually am.

The key is really limiting intake, that has way more of an effect than exercise (though of course exercise is good). I find I need to pile on projects/hobbies/whatever to keep me busy and my mind engaged in something, otherwise I want to snack out of boredom.

The fundamental insight I have come to (that I have trouble following through on) is I need to be hungry sometimes. If it's mealtime and I'm not actually hungry for a meal, then I ate too much during/since my last meal.
My current job does not help me keep my mind busy on work.. I have a lot of slow days at the office, got a bunch of cafes near my work... plenty of snack machines.. I also snacked out of boredom. I guess what kinda shook me into getting serious about my body, health, and fitness were those blood labs that showed high blood sugar while fasting.. and high blood pressure. Got a family, a 4 year old boy, and I really want to be there for him. The wife has been pretty supportive of my efforts, so thats helped.

I think the keto diet has helped me curve my sugar/carb cravings, and can go long hours without eating, not feel anxious... keep me focused on tasks at hand.
Old 09-15-19, 05:29 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,607 Times in 2,113 Posts
@RVH Congrats!