Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Brain is tired but when DST ends

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Brain is tired but when DST ends

Old 09-16-19, 09:15 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Tough is an understatement. Time Zones were established because hyper-local time (solar time) couldn't be synced up even over short distances, resulting in the new Rail Road having many head-on collisions at all hours of day and night....killing many many people.

With computers we could avoid that problem today...but results in the impossible-to-predict business hours. the 9-5 workday at least makes it easy to know when someone will be home in the bank or office.
I think it wouldn't really be that hard for everybody to just use GMT. Here in CA I would get up about 1400, be at work by maybe 1500-1530, leave work around 0100, and go to bed around 0700. Around me, banks would be open 1700-0100. If I happened to live next to a current time-zone line, banks on the other side might choose to be open 1600-0000. Everybody's hours are posted online anyways.

It's not like people can't deal with the modular arithmetic, we all do it with noon every day.

I would call 2000 'noon'. People across the neighboring timelines would call 1900 or 2100 'noon'. People in Australia call December 'Summer' and nobody gets confused.
Old 09-16-19, 03:27 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Then there are the joggers. I call them the Madison Ninja Joggers. They are invariably dressed head-to-toe in black, and apparently unaware that the SOUTHWEST COMMUTER PATH is used by commuters.
No such thing. It's called the "Southwest Path". Yes, commuters are among the _multiple_ types of users, but it is a "Shared-use path":

On surface roads, we (cyclists) expect faster users (motor vehicle drivers) to share the facility with us in a safe manner. Likewise, on shared-use paths, slower users (pedestrians, including joggers/runners) expect us (cyclists) to share the facility with them in a safe manner.

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I think it wouldn't really be that hard for everybody to just use GMT. Here in CA I would get up about 1400, be at work by maybe 1500-1530, leave work around 0100, and go to bed around 0700. Around me, banks would be open 1700-0100. If I happened to live next to a current time-zone line, banks on the other side might choose to be open 1600-0000. Everybody's hours are posted online anyways.
And for much of the planet's population, the date would change in the middle of one's waking hours and/or business day. Run that notion by the couple billion people so affected, let's see how it floats with them....
Old 09-16-19, 03:58 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by madpogue
And for much of the planet's population, the date would change in the middle of one's waking hours and/or business day. Run that notion by the couple billion people so affected, let's see how it floats with them....
yer right I forgot about date. CA for instance would change date at 4pm. Why does reality gotta be so annoying?!

Reminds me how I wish when I was in college or grad school I had taken the opportunity to try out a 28hr X 6day week.
Old 09-16-19, 05:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Well that only makes sense, shouldn't you celebrate the new year when the - when the - well shoot, it's really pretty arbitrary, isn't? When the Earth breaks the plane of the end zone and makes a touchdown into the new year, right? Or when your time zone crosses the plane? That would make the new year travel both ways around the planet and it would happen every 365.256 days. The Earth takes about 3 and a half minutes to travel its own length so the whole thing wouldn't take very long.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-16-19, 06:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

lol I was in london for 2000, they planned a 'wall of fire' to have firecrackers along the Thames fire off exactly as the new 'millenium' line sped down the river (not using your whole-planet-break-the-plane definition). It was a sputtering disappointment done in half a second.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 09-16-19, 07:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
No such thing. It's called the "Southwest Path".
My mistake.

https://www.cityofmadison.com/news/u...-commuter-path

https://madison.com/wsj/traffic/upda...df76e9931.html

https://www.cityofmadison.com/news/s...-path-closures

I certainly never suggested that the path was exclusively for commuters, but it also wasn't really important to my point, which is that the Madison Ninja Joggers are practically invisible at night, so be careful.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 09-16-19 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 11:19 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
^^^^ Hmm, somebody's gonna have to talk to Tom Mohr about that "Commuter Path" phrase, that was phased out years ago at the request of neighbors who most certainly DON'T use it to commute.
Old 09-17-19, 11:49 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
^^^^ Hmm, somebody's gonna have to talk to Tom Mohr about that "Commuter Path" phrase, that was phased out years ago at the request of neighbors who most certainly DON'T use it to commute.
Aha. I was kinda wondering about that. I do remember the old signs.
Old 09-18-19, 06:35 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
When we switch from DST to Standard Time in November, daylight is an hour earlier. It also ends earlier in the afternoon/evening.
this is what I was hoping for in an answer.... not a discussion of the validity or lack thereof for DST.
Old 09-18-19, 08:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
this is what I was hoping for in an answer.... not a discussion of the validity or lack thereof for DST.
But that's the Bike Forums way! We drift all over the place.

That said, generate at sunrise/sunset table from the link I provided in post 18 above and tape it to your refrigerator. You'll have to add an hour to each time during Day Light Saving but at least you'll know when the sun rises and sets for everyday of the year for your locale.

And, just to drift a bit further out of the lane, there are interesting things that happen around the solstice. Many people think that the sunrise and sunset are at earliest on the winter solstice as well as thinking that the sunrise and sunset at the latest on the summer solstice. Neither is true. The summer and winter solstice are the period of longest sunlight and shortest sunlight per day, respectively, but that's only the duration of the light available. For summer the earliest sunrise occurs around June 15th (for Denver the sun rises at 0431 from June 11 to June 18) and the latest sunset occurs around June 25 (Denver: 1932 from June 22 to July 3). See chart below

Summer solstice by Stuart Black, on Flickr

For winter, the difference is between earliest sunset and earliest sunrise is about a month apart and inverted. The earliest sunset occurs around December 5 (Denver: 1635 December 5 to December 10). The sunrise time keeps going later and later until about Jan 5 (Denver: 0722, Jan 5). The days get longer after the solstice but it gets longer in the afternoon and shorter in the morning. See chart

Winter solstice by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The times and duration will vary depending on latitude.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-18-19, 11:45 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Here's the chart I created for explanations - a little confusing because Excel charts with time in reverse, so a day proceeds from top to bottom.

We should all be thankful that we live in a time when we can manipulate time itself to conform to our wishes.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 09-18-19, 12:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Right-click on the vertical axis labels, Format Axis..., Values in reverse order
Old 01-05-20, 08:59 AM
rollalongnow

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Staying on standard time year around means dawn in high summer will be near 0400. Try sleeping in when proper sun-up is before 0500, just as bad as trying to go top sleep with the sun still up.
It easier to sleep into the sunrise than it is to try and go to sleep when the sun is up. I worked rotating shifts for many years. It was always easier to go to bed at midnight and sleep until 8. Going to bed at 8pm for an early morning shift, not so much.

Last edited by rollalongnow; 01-05-20 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-05-20, 09:07 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by rollalongnow
It easier to sleep into the sunrise than it is to try and go to sleep when the sun is up. I worked rotating shifts for many years. It was always easier to go to bed at midnight and sleep until 8. Going to bed at 8pm for an early morning shift, not so much. It also depends on where you live. Northern states will have an earlier sunrise, but southern states won’t see sunrise before 5:30 am if year round standard time is used.
Depends entirely on where you are in your given time zone East/West. Birmingham, Alabama will see apparent sunrise around 0430AM in June without DST. Albuquerque NM at 0450 in June. As opposed to Miami FL where apparent sunrise wouldn't be until 530AM

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/sunrise.html