Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are rim brakes obsolete on higher end bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 07:48 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts

I guess I was out for a smoke when disc brakes won the nomination and election. I was bored this afternoon and wasted an hour or so wandering through the current offerings of the major bike companies. All I could find in the world of carbon frames are disc brakes (with the exception of the obligatory entry level model). I'm a firm believer that disc brakes are overkill for the road - but as usual I guess my Luddite tendencies along with my white hairs are starting to show. Yes I know there are other frame materials and have owned and ridden a version of most offerings but I have decided that I like the ride of a stiff plastic frame. So what do I do when my 6 year old Synapse assplodes and I survive?
Old 08-14-18, 08:43 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
I'm a firm believer that disc brakes are overkill for the road - but as usual I guess my Luddite tendencies along with my white hairs are starting to show.
I understand what you are saying, but I wonder if you've ever tried riding CF wheels in the rain.

I didn't really want discs, but I got an insane deal on a bike that had them. I can't say that they are necessary in my area, but they really work well, and the weight penalty is very small.
Old 08-14-18, 08:57 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Look at the catalogues again. You'll notice that the very highest level bikes and frames are rim brake only. As in UCI-level team bikes.

This is because racers cannot afford the performance handicap of disc brake bikes, except maybe during the flat sprinter stages where sponsors pour money on riders to ride discs.

Then there are the upper mid-level bikes where discs are ubiquitous. These are called doctor/lawyer bikes, for riders who have more discretionary income than riding time. These folks grew up on mountain bikes, so (innapropriately) expect road bikes to have mtb-like features such as sloping top tubes, discs, and fat tires.

Then there are the entry-level bikes that feature rim brakes, solely for cost savings.
Old 08-14-18, 08:58 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Are down tube shifters obsolete on new high end bikes? Technology moves on. People appreciate it or keep the old stuff.
Old 08-14-18, 08:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Yes.
Old 08-14-18, 09:10 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
There are options available for both rim and disk brake on higher end bikes. You are not limited to one or the other.
Old 08-14-18, 09:16 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Look at the catalogues again. You'll notice that the very highest level bikes and frames are rim brake only. As in UCI-level team bikes.

This is because racers cannot afford the performance handicap of disc brake bikes, except maybe during the flat sprinter stages where sponsors pour money on riders to ride discs.

Obviously you don't watch much racing. Team mechanics actually have to add weight to some bikes so that they aren't under 6.8kg .

Last edited by noodle soup; 08-14-18 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 09:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
I guess I was out for a smoke when disc brakes won the nomination and election. I was bored this afternoon and wasted an hour or so wandering through the current offerings of the major bike companies. All I could find in the world of carbon frames are disc brakes (with the exception of the obligatory entry level model). I'm a firm believer that disc brakes are overkill for the road - but as usual I guess my Luddite tendencies along with my white hairs are starting to show. Yes I know there are other frame materials and have owned and ridden a version of most offerings but I have decided that I like the ride of a stiff plastic frame. So what do I do when my 6 year old Synapse assplodes and I survive?
trek Madone and Emonda both have multiple versions with rim brakes.

I agree- its overkill on a paved road bike. But it's apparently the way of the future even if its excessive.

just go steel and get a high end frame with carbon fork instead. Itll be beautiful, unique, and fit you great. All for the same or less than a lot of the high end carbon road disc bikes.
Old 08-14-18, 09:41 PM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last I heard there was a stop in the trial of UCI legal discs because of an erroneous injury claim.

Is UCI allowing discs now? Cool!

There is some stupidity when it comes to what the UCI bans or doesn't, but it's interesting to see how the competitive bikes evolve, since they're chasing every (legal... mostly) advantage. If discs were a total waste, no one would be using them. In the same way if rim breaks had zero benefit they'd be gone too. But both exist? If that's true, I think that's kind of cool. Last I was paying attention, rim breaks were a staple in the UCI races and top level retail bike lines.

Ride like the pros!
Old 08-14-18, 09:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts

Havent teams have ridden disc brakes for entire races? Also, some disc brake bikes are at the 14.96# limit in 54cm which is a common frame size(so not an extremely small size thats lighter).
wheel changes arent as fast, so thst is a handicap, but that isnt what you were referring to.

Then there are the upper mid-level bikes where discs are ubiquitous. These are called doctor/lawyer bikes, for riders who have more discretionary income than riding time. These folks grew up on mountain bikes, so (innapropriately) expect road bikes to have mtb-like features such as sloping top tubes, discs, and fat tires.
That's some hilariously revisionist history. Sloping top tubes weren't created to meet the expectations of high spending doctors and lawyers who grew up with mountain bikes.
Sloping top tube road bikes have been around on mass production frames for 25ish years now. Mountain bikes came to the mass market about a decade before sloping top tube road bikes.
so that part of your comment is just wrong.

as for disc brakes and larger tires-
larger tires can be as fast as narrower tires and run at lower pressure for more comfort(high quality tire needed). This trend didnt start because high spending lawyers and doctors wanted it. It's a trend that has moreso come from cx/rando/gravel/touring bikes and is now possible on road bikes due to not being restricted in width by the caliper.

Then there are the entry-level bikes that feature rim brakes, solely for cost savings.
Well sure, except for all the entry level bikes that come with disc brakes.

I dont have a disc brake bike and dont plan to have a disc brake bike. My gravel bike is canti. My touring bike is canti. My mtb is both 26" and vbrake.
Even I can recognize the design benefits of disc brakes. It isnt just to please the faceless wealthy professionals. There are actually design benefits to disc brakes AND sloping top tubes.
reject em, thats cool, I sure do. But dont pretend like the benefits dont exist.
Old 08-14-18, 09:55 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup

Obviously you don't watch much racing. Team mechanics actually have to add weight to some bikes so that they aren't under 6.8kg .
Some of the top riders worry about wheel changes from neutral support. Some have a fear that neutral support won’t have a wheel that fits and the time it takes to swap the wheels.
Old 08-14-18, 10:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

Some of the top riders worry about wheel changes from neutral support. Some have a fear that neutral support won’t have a wheel that fits and the time it takes to swap the wheels.
+1 I doubt disc brake wheel changes will ever be faster and probably at times slower for quite a while. So you will see the riders who specialize in competing for the GC (lowest overall time or in simple terms, the winner of the big stage races) staying away from brakes that could cost them valuable time for a routine wheel change for a flat tire.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-14-18 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 10:13 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Uh-oh, another rim brake vs disc brake debate, titled to sound like it isn't a rim brake vs disc brake schtick!?!?!
Old 08-14-18, 10:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Old 08-14-18, 10:34 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
There was a flurry of new aero bikes announced last month and if I recall correctly most of them were disk brake only. Specialized Venge, Cannondale systemsix, BMC Timemachine.
Old 08-15-18, 02:51 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
There was a flurry of new aero bikes announced last month and if I recall correctly most of them were disk brake only. Specialized Venge, Cannondale systemsix, BMC Timemachine.
All it really takes is to look at the World Pro Tour races and see that there are still a fair amount of non disc bikes. I was surprised by how few disc bikes that were in the Tour of Utah. You would think with those descents, everybody would be on discs.
Old 08-15-18, 04:58 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Are down tube shifters obsolete on new high end bikes? Technology moves on. People appreciate it or keep the old stuff.
How'd that 3DTV thing turn out?
Old 08-15-18, 05:29 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Is it really that big of a deal? Yeah I guess if you're a GC candidate then a rim braked bike would have an advantage in compatibility. Braking type is far down on my list of concerns for a road bike. I will never do anything but disc on mtb, and thru axles make it stupidly easy to deal with tire removal/install. And it really stiffens things up.

If I were to buy new I'd focus on cockpit first, then frame, drivetrain, thru axles.

Last set of pads on the mtb took me 5 minutes to swap out. Pulled the wheel, took a screw driver and spread the calipers apart with the old pads in place, yanked the cotter pin, installed new, replaced pin, inserted wheel. A couple pumps on the lever, good to go. Hydro discs are insanely awesome. Mine are just some old deores. No leaks, no adjustments, consistent performance and lever feel regardless of weather and pad wear.
Old 08-15-18, 05:35 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Dogma f10 not high end enough for you?

scott s.
Old 08-15-18, 05:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts

No.
Old 08-15-18, 05:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It was so dead when I bought my first HDTV several years ago that the Sony store gave me a pair of 3D glasses for free. They were trying to get rid of them. I ended up trashing them without ever taking them out of the boxes.
Old 08-15-18, 06:28 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Always use the current top TDF GC pro peleton rider's bike(Geraint Thomas) as a reference on what is the best technology to use on your bike! That's what I go by because every second counts when I'm riding to the grocery store. Looks like he's using rim brakes. So rim brakes > disc brakes

Old 08-15-18, 06:31 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MyTi
Always use the current top TDF GC pro peleton rider's bike(Geraint Thomas) as a reference on what is the best technology to use on your bike! That's what I go by because every second counts when I'm riding to the grocery store. Looks like he's using rim brakes. So rim brakes > disc brakes

The fork looks backwards. Must have been assembled at Walmart.
Old 08-15-18, 07:03 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
On a serious note if was getting a new bike now I would get disc brakes for sure. Makes more sense, better stopping power and don't have to worry about the braking surface wear on the wheels....especially if they are carbon wheels. Obviously neither disc brakes or rim brakes are going to be obsolete for road bikes any time soon. Maybe cantilever style rim brakes are pretty obsolete for cyclocross/hybrid use. Because mechanical disc brakes are just as cheap as cantilever brakes now. Is there a use for cantilever brakes any more?
Old 08-15-18, 07:41 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Like I said, technology moves on and people either appreciate it or keep the old. In your example lots more people voted with their dollars to not go with something new. This didn't happen with disc brakes on road bikes though, did it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.