Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Talent vs tech

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 11:39 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Talent vs tech

at bike races I notice some riders are sooo tech heavy they have every bell and whistle available to a rider and other riders are minimalists or they don't have the money to spend on tech...it seems either races are determined by who can afford the most advantages or who actually is the better racer....talking about the local races that is
Old 02-16-19, 11:47 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
at bike races I notice some riders are sooo tech heavy they have every bell and whistle available to a rider and other riders are minimalists or they don't have the money to spend on tech...it seems either races are determined by who can afford the most advantages or who actually is the better racer....talking about the local races that is
Hi tech rider or better rider wins. So what's your point ?
Old 02-16-19, 11:48 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
The actual speed difference between a $600 bike and a $6000 bike isn't that vast. The cyclist is still vastly more important. Only between athletes with extremely well-matched ability will the equipment be a deciding factor.
Old 02-16-19, 11:56 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by General Geoff
The actual speed difference between a $600 bike and a $6000 bike isn't that vast. The cyclist is still vastly more important. Only between athletes with extremely well-matched ability will the equipment be a deciding factor.
its not just the bike its the helmets the shoes the body suit the aero water bottle the special aero handle bats the list goes on and on....ive seen people with none of these advantages dominate those that do have them
Old 02-17-19, 12:03 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by frogman
Hi tech rider or better rider wins. So what's your point ?
talent and ability should be why someone wins and athletic event ….not the amount of money they have to spend making their mediocrity less prominent
Old 02-17-19, 12:06 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
its not just the bike its the helmets the shoes the body suit the aero water bottle the special aero handle bats the list goes on and on....ive seen people with none of these advantages dominate those that do have them
The human body simply isn't that aerodynamic. If you're wearing lycra at all, you're already about 90% as aero as you can get, without using fairings or a recumbent.
Old 02-17-19, 12:07 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
If one is beaten by a water bottle, they should give up racing.
Old 02-17-19, 12:13 AM
frogman

I agree robnol. But your statement didn't say the win would go to the one with the tech advantage, it was ambiguous. Your statement was: "EITHER races are determined by who can afford the most advantages or who actually is the better racer." So following your statement either one can win not just the one with more advantages. That is what prompted my question of what was your point. It didn't make sense. I know what you were trying to say though and I agree.
Old 02-17-19, 12:27 AM
frogman

This thread brings up some interesting questions. Should professional bike races have limits on how aerodynamic the bike frames can be so as not give an advantage over other bike frames. Where should they draw the line ? They already try to control and minimize the advantage from drug use.
Old 02-17-19, 12:36 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Should professional bike races have limits on how aerodynamic the bike frames can be so as not give an advantage over other bike frames. Where should they draw the line ? They already try to control and minimize the advantage from drug use.
Are you implying that they don't have regulations regarding bicycle aerodynamics? Because they do, and very strict ones. That takes the form of both limiting the use of fairings (and limiting the extent to which components can be designed as fairings), and very very very strict rules about posture on the bicycle.

Without those rules, nearly all road and track and triathlon competition would be done on recumbents.
Old 02-17-19, 01:11 AM
frogman

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Are you implying that they don't have regulations regarding bicycle aerodynamics? Because they do, and very strict ones. That takes the form of both limiting the use of fairings (and limiting the extent to which components can be designed as fairings), and very very very strict rules about posture on the bicycle.

Without those rules, nearly all road and track and triathlon competition would be done on recumbents.

I guess I am pretty naive about bike racing regulations. I didn't realize they had strict rues about aerodynamics. Thanks for educating me !
Old 02-17-19, 03:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
If somebody in expensive kit wins, it doesn't logically follow that they won because of the kit.

I've seen plenty of riders on expensive bikes in super-aero kit who can't ride for beans, and they don't get fast.
Old 02-17-19, 04:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Since the OP is talking about local races, those are mostly crits. Assume comparable conditioning, those are usually won by tactics and the best sprinters. You don't need the most aero bike and kit if you're mostly drafting, especially a teammate, friend or cooperative competitor exchanging favors. You mostly need to be in good shape, recover quickly from burning matches and a turbo charged blast furnace in the lungs and legs for the final sprint. Most of the better racers could do that on a good bike from any era.

But if you're talking local time trials, sure, aero gear matters more, unless it's the niche category for retro riders.
Old 02-17-19, 04:25 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Since the OP is talking about local races, those are mostly crits. Assume comparable conditioning, those are usually won by tactics and the best sprinters. You don't need the most aero bike and kit if you're mostly drafting,
Aero matters just as much for a crit where the difference between winning and losing is often measured in inches. Aero gear (sknsuit, wheels, etc)also helps while drafting.

At any level of racing there’s always going to be some riders ‘passing thru’ the category who are clearly stronger than most of the field. Usually young guys on there way to a higher level. They can get by with sub optimal equipment until they plateau and start racing with similarly capable riders. Then they will also need enough gear to be on a level playing field.
Old 02-17-19, 06:23 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
What an originally profound and thought provoking post
Old 02-17-19, 06:51 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If there is something to win, folks will spend money trying to do it. Some other folks will also cheat any way they can.
Old 02-17-19, 08:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Since the OP is talking about local races, those are mostly crits. Assume comparable conditioning, those are usually won by tactics and the best sprinters. You don't need the most aero bike and kit if you're mostly drafting, especially a teammate, friend or cooperative competitor exchanging favors. You mostly need to be in good shape, recover quickly from burning matches and a turbo charged blast furnace in the lungs and legs for the final sprint. Most of the better racers could do that on a good bike from any era.

But if you're talking local time trials, sure, aero gear matters more, unless it's the niche category for retro riders.
I thought crits were like in the Little500 from Breaking Away... ie. Everybody is on a supplied stock bike?
Old 02-17-19, 09:25 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by downhillmaster

What an originally profound and thought provoking post
I guess ur one of the guys that is all tech up to aid u with ur lack of ability
Old 02-17-19, 09:30 AM
robnol
Banned

I agree robnol. But your statement didn't say the win would go to the one with the tech advantage, it was ambiguous. Your statement was: "EITHER races are determined by who can afford the most advantages or who actually is the better racer." So following your statement either one can win not just the one with more advantages. That is what prompted my question of what was your point. It didn't make sense. I know what you were trying to say though and I agree.
companies are always trying to sell products to the masses that will reduce weight more aero give u the edge ….if they are not lying them then the rider with every bell and whistle would seem to have an advantage over the low budget racer...would they not...or are companies preying on the gullable and the stupid promising things that aren't true

Last edited by robnol; 02-17-19 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 09:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
I guess ur one of the guys that is all tech up to aid u with ur lack of ability
Subscribed.
Old 02-17-19, 09:54 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
companies are always trying to sell products to the masses that will reduce weight more aero give u the edge ….if they are not lying them then the rider with every bell and whistle would seem to have an advantage over the low budget racer...would they not...or are companies preying on the gullable and the stupid promising things that aren't true
Getting lighter and more aero will make you faster. Nobody is saying it will guarantee wins.
Old 02-17-19, 10:22 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
And at that point the difference is within fractions of a second. But that's only when your main concern is winning. Otherwise, your body doesn't know the difference.
Old 02-17-19, 10:40 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvo
Getting lighter and more aero will make you faster. Nobody is saying it will guarantee wins.
it definitely gives u the edge over the guy without the money to spend on all the advantages
Old 02-17-19, 11:01 AM
frogman

Lance Armstrong took advantage of a weight edge over the other riders in the tours. He did so well because he only had one testicle.
Old 02-17-19, 11:05 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've got a modern carbon aero bike with Di2, disc brakes, 17 lbs, all the bells and whistles. I also have a 1964 Legnano, old school Campy, 12 speed friction shifters, 26 lbs. Guess which bike has my personal best avg. on my Malibu run on PCH? The Legnano. Surprised me too. I love tech, and I love old steel, but it's not all about the bike. Ride what you love, love what you ride. 😃

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.