Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The NEW Performance Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The NEW Performance Bike

Old 06-05-19, 09:12 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
The NEW Performance Bike

It looks like Performance was purchased, and the website is running again under their new ownership.

Anyone know anything about it now?

I'll be honest, I didn't know how much I'd miss Performance until they were gone. I particularly liked their newest lines of "in-house" made Ultra bibs and their Ultra helmet. The quality was so good I thought they were really on an upswing in the cycling market, then they were gone.
Old 06-05-19, 11:11 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It is owned by AMain Sports and Hobbies out of Chico, California.

Last time I looked the performancebike.com website had the same inventory and pricing as amaincycling.com.

-Tim-
Old 06-05-19, 12:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
It is owned by AMain Sports and Hobbies out of Chico, California.

Last time I looked the performancebike.com website had the same inventory and pricing as amaincycling.com.

-Tim-
And Nashbar as well. As far as I can tell, the biggest differences were the color of the web pages.
Old 06-05-19, 12:21 PM
morycua

Bikes: Giant OCR3, SE Lager, Nishiki Olympic 12, Giant ATX, Gary Fisher Mamba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Is that a good thing or bad thing?
Old 06-05-19, 12:36 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Their Ultra shorts are my favorite. I'm glad to see that they brought them back.
Old 06-05-19, 01:06 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I keep getting the Performance Bike emails, but the big difference is that so much is out of stock, has a limited selection, and no local pickup. My first impression was is was clearing out what little was left since so many items were not even listed or were out of stock.

I will stick with Universal Cycles. Performance was good when they had a store to inspect the quality of the items and especially the sizing of jerseys and shoes, the two main items I bought at Performance. In my opinion cycling shoes and clothing sizings bear little relation to real world sizings so online ordering is a crapshoot. But now that option is gone.
Old 06-05-19, 01:25 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Don't miss Performance. I never, ever entered their stores.
Jon
Old 06-05-19, 02:31 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I bought a pair of Forte Metro ST 700x35 tires on Sunday. Got an email confirmation, and a subsequent confirmation that they shipped. The clickable tracking number in the email takes me to UPS and shows that as of today (Wednesday) I should have them tomorrow by end of day. The tires were the same $13.99/ea. as in the store, but of course now I payed $12.25 shipping.

Total cost $40.23, or ~$20 apiece. That's still a bargain for decent tires these days. I really like these tires, and I couldn't find any 700x35s at any bike shops in town. My next choice would have been a pair of 700x32 Kenda Kwests from an LBS for about $25 apiece.

I've run the Kwests in that size before (or possibly 700x34) and they were okay, but didn't 'speak' to me like the Metros.

But I was already familiar with the Forte Metros. I can't see myself buying an unfamiliar tire online. I need to see, touch and feel the tires before buying, and that can't be done online.

Last edited by BobbyG; 06-05-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 02:42 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Ah the good ole days. Many BF threads on how Performance and Nashbar were killing the LBS and aluminum frames were the ones that were going to assplode.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-05-19, 02:45 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by morycua
Is that a good thing or bad thing?
Definitely a bad thing.
Old 06-06-19, 12:47 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
mm does it matter? Quality of selection has gone down so much. I used to love Nashbar but it's even worse. Just stick with Jenson, Universal Cycles, Competitive Cyclist/Back country
Old 06-06-19, 01:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I remember AMain from when they were exclusively R/C stuff-- and they were never a go-to for online shopping, because they were expensive to the point of only being an option when they offered a big coupon. I doubt their pricing model has changed since they expanded into sports. If I'm gonna pay retail/near-retail, I might as well continue shopping at the LBS and keep them in business. Which is what I do.
Old 06-06-19, 02:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
amaincycling.com has a decent selection of small parts and flat rate $1.99 shipping.

Their prices on some gear such as Assos is in par with other US online retailers such as Competitive.

Originally Posted by dsaul
Their Ultra shorts are my favorite. I'm glad to see that they brought them back.
This is very interesting. I had not seen where AMain/Performance was offering former Performance products but only AMain inventory. They seem to have resurrected the Ultra bibs but they look different from the ones I've seen.

-Tim-
Old 06-06-19, 03:42 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Don't miss Performance. I never, ever entered their stores.
Jon
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Definitely a bad thing.
Guess I'm too new to know the backstory here.

Up until the beginning of this year, I was just a casual rider, with a 20-year-old mountain bike and blissfully ignorant of The Bike Forums.

We had a Performance store nearby and I used them for tubes and misc accessories. Prices and selection were good. On occasion, used their repair shop and in one case, they fixed something for me at no charge.

One day in January, I drove by and noticed the "STORE CLOSING" banner. Popped in and picked up a nicely discounted Giro helmet. Over the next month, my wife and I, like vultures hovering, visited weekly, picking up a number of additional accessory items and clothing. With each visit, I paused and looked longingly at the new bikes, thinking it could be a good time to upgrade my ride. Each visit revealed increasing discounts of 25%, then 35% and finally, a nicely equipped 29er hardtail with disc brakes and a mix of Deore and SLX components was marked down to $880 from a retail price of $1600, too good to pass up.

A negative effect on the other LBS? Likely. At least temporarily. But in fact, riding the new bike sparked a renewed interest in cycling, enough so that within a couple of months, I decided I wanted a road bike. By this time, too late for Performance, so I began to acquaint myself with the local bike shops, eventually spending a tidy sum all told with a CF road bike, pedals, shoes and added accessories.

In a way, I guess my LBS can thank Performance for that.
Old 06-07-19, 06:56 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Me too. But I just ordered a pair yesterday and they're back ordered. I don't know when I'll get them. Maybe I should order 2?
Old 06-08-19, 06:52 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Forte Metro Tires ordered from Performance came to the office Thursday. Mounted them and rode home. Tires came in plastic bag, no box, but were in perfect shape.
Old 06-08-19, 07:41 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I bought a pair of Forte Metro ST 700x35 tires on Sunday. Got an email confirmation, and a subsequent confirmation that they shipped. The clickable tracking number in the email takes me to UPS and shows that as of today (Wednesday) I should have them tomorrow by end of day. The tires were the same $13.99/ea. as in the store, but of course now I payed $12.25 shipping.

Total cost $40.23, or ~$20 apiece. That's still a bargain for decent tires these days. I really like these tires, and I couldn't find any 700x35s at any bike shops in town. My next choice would have been a pair of 700x32 Kenda Kwests from an LBS for about $25 apiece.

I've run the Kwests in that size before (or possibly 700x34) and they were okay, but didn't 'speak' to me like the Metros.

But I was already familiar with the Forte Metros. I can't see myself buying an unfamiliar tire online. I need to see, touch and feel the tires before buying, and that can't be done online.
Those were nice tires, I use them on my commuter/beater bicycle. The only issue I had with them was their weight (quite a bit heavier than other similar size tires), but for the price they couldn't be beat. When the shop near me was going out of business I bought 4 of them and that should last me quite a while.

The shop near me was in a convenient location so a great place to stop and pick up tubes, tires, and tools (a great selection of bicycle-specific tools that was second to none). Their on line shop looks very generic, nothing on the site that makes them stand out from all the other on line merchants.
Old 06-08-19, 08:15 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Performance/Nashbar was in bankruptcy, right?

Maybe some company picked up the brand for a very low price out of bankruptcy. No more big box store or small box store expenses. Just mean and lean.

Old inventory mostly gone but the supply chain stayed intact, maybe. That's the value, plus old customers who still scrounge around for deals.

Remember the guy who said "No Cervelo for you!" ??
Old 06-08-19, 09:46 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG

Those are good tires, I used them for years and am still not sure if switching to a different tire with a flat guard was the right thing to do after getting a series of flats a couple of years ago.