Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How dyed-in-the-wool as a commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-11-19, 05:08 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts

I did twelve years all seasons to work and wondered how many folks do that? I only bike about eight miles, but eight miles in winter can be tough. After semi-retiring I am less dedicated. At 0200 a few days ago it was already 78* in Misery and I decided to drive. What a wuss. I guess I'm not as dedicated as I used to be. I'm 67 and have a few wrecked body parts so it is interesting. But that is the way life can be. How about you folks? I can't believe I misspelled dyed but it was pointed out in a humorous way. Be Well. Bluesfrog

Last edited by Bluesfrog; 07-13-19 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 05:27 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I only ride in good weather. The driver in my area are bad enough in good weather. They are dangerous in bad weather and in the dark. The first rain of every Fall has a lot of them in the ditch. They are not smart enough to slow down to the distance that their headlights show in the fog and rain.

If I could ride off road to and from work, I would. I won't as long as I am sharing the road with the drivers in my area.
Old 07-11-19, 06:01 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Driving to work in snow or rain here is miserable. Additionally, the road salt rots out your car. Even rain slows cagers to a crawl. No way in hell I would consider taking anything but a bike to work. Dedication has nothing to do with it -- cycling is easier and far more practical. My car is for weekend fun and never sees rain or snow. So, yeah -- twenty-plus years of year round, bike commuting, because it's the easiest way. I kind of admire cagers because of the way they accept suffering.

Last edited by PaulH; 07-11-19 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 06:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I'm in the middle. I ride in conditions some wouldn't dream of riding in. And I really think it's not so bad. And yet there are conditions that people ride in that I won't, especially with the surface is slippery with slush or ice.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-11-19, 07:01 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I was until I wasn't. I commuted by bike and/or mixed mode in the Denver area year-round for a couple of years (6, 36, or 66 miles RT), then year-round in southern California (6 miles RT) then made it a little over a year in Alabama (18 miles RT), got depressed, and drove for about eight months.

Since 2013, I've been year-round, all weather in western Wisconsin, but my commute is a joke (3-4 miles RT). I got rid of the car entirely after a few months. The next commute will be ~19 miles RT in North Carolina. It looks like there are some nice routes, but I'll have a backup vehicle again, so we'll see how that goes.

Violent thunderstorms are probably the biggest deterrent; I can handle most temperatures. Feral dogs and dangerous infrastructure are also a deterrent.
Old 07-11-19, 07:23 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I try to commute by car as much as I can, but when there's snow or freezing rain, I take the car. This year I drove the car a total of 15 times so far. Rain doesn't bother me as I have a shower and clothes dryer at work. I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep my feet dry in heavy rain. My commute is 12 miles one-way. If it was half that distance I wouldn't let the snow or freezing rain bother me either.
Old 07-11-19, 08:09 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I'm 57 and bike commute 9 miles each way sun, rain, snow or ice. My main commuter has long fenders and my old MTB has fenders and wears studded snow tires in the winter. I'm good up to 100F but it rarely gets over 97F officially in Colorado Springs. As of last winter I pushed my cold limit down to 7F from 10F where it's been for a few years.

I have a weekly meeting after work on Mondays so I usually drive on Mondays, and I drive on any other day I have an errand I can't accomplish on the bike due to having to provide lifts for family members or having to ferry items not possible on one of my bikes.

The only other times I drive are illness (seldom), or when my body says "no" louder than my brain says "yes" which isn't too often. Three things that help motivate me are the unpleasantness of afternoon traffic; plus not riding for more than a day makes me cranky. And riding clears my sinuses, so when I don't ride I'm more prone to sinus pressure.

I wouldn't say I'm dedicated as much as not riding is uncomfortable and unpleasant.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-11-19, 08:55 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I try to commute by car as much as I can, but when there's snow or freezing rain, I take the car. This year I drove the car a total of 15 times so far. Rain doesn't bother me as I have a shower and clothes dryer at work. I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep my feet dry in heavy rain. My commute is 12 miles one-way. If it was half that distance I wouldn't let the snow or freezing rain bother me either.
You should try to ride your bike more often.
Likes For alan s:
Old 07-11-19, 09:25 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I’m a year ‘round guy but then I’m doing it in what may be the most temperate climate in the country. If I had to face freezing temperatures with snow and ice I might not be so dedicated. Weather wise, the SF Bay Area is about as easy as it gets.

I’ve said before that a rainy ride is not all that bad and frankly sometimes I find it enjoyable. There’s something almost primal about the close connection with nature I experience riding in the rain. I’ve only ever had similar feelings with staring into a campfire or catching a sail full of wind.

-Kedosto
Old 07-11-19, 11:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I did twelve years all seasons to work and wondered how many folks do that? I only bikes about eight miles.
but eight miles in winter can be tough. After semi-retiring I am less dedicated. At 0200 a few days ago it was already 78 in Misery and I decided to drive. What a wuss. I guess I'm not as dedicated as I used to be I'm 67 and have a few wrecked body parts so it is interesting. But that is the way life can be. How about you folks? Be Well. Bluesfrog
"Dyed" in the wool, please. I'm not ready to die in my wool yet!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-12-19, 12:12 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
So far, I've been a pretty reliable bike commuter. Started when I got suspended from the bus when I was 13 -- my parents weren't going to reward me with a car ride (14 miles RT) for misbehaving.

Have always ridden since then, including 10 years of 40+ miles RT which included a 47 month stint where I never drove once.

For the past 7 years, have 15 miles RT with 1k of climbing and have never driven. But I'm healthy, so it's not a big deal. We'll see how I'm doing in a few years since I'm only 52 right now.

FWIW, I think merino wool is da bomb for cold and wet weather.
Likes For banerjek:
Old 07-12-19, 12:32 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Is wool dye especially tenacious?
Old 07-12-19, 07:53 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i've been a 4-season bike commuter in chicago for over 11 years now (i'm 43).

my one-way distance has varied between 4.6 and 15.2 miles. currently i'm at 8.0 miles.

i'm fairly dedicated, but there is some weather that will put me on the train:

- active thunderstorms (i'm a bit lightning phobic)

- polar vortex BS when wind chills plummet into the -50s (F that)

most importantly to me, my bike commuting/transportation cycling allows us to be one-car family, even as we've grown from 2 to 4 people over the past 5 years.

i pray that we can keep a 2nd car at bay forever (the real money saving in bike commuting is not in using a car less, it's in not having the car in the first place).

Last edited by Steely Dan; 07-12-19 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For Steely Dan:
Old 07-12-19, 08:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Is wool dye especially tenacious?
Compared with painting on the surface, yes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-12-19, 09:46 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
In AZ, all year, no problem. My commute ranged from 14 to slightly over 20 miles each way.

In KS, I was lucky to be able to commute 6-8 months, depending on how early the first ice storm hit. I hate the cold, and the ice and ruts in the streets would last for months, since they didn't use salt at all.

In Seattle, 12 months, but there was usually a 2-3 week period in the winter where it just wasn't feasible, and again, I hate the cold, and wasn't willing to risk putting studded tires on my bike just for that few weeks.

Southern OR was about the same as Seattle. I was about to pull the trigger on a trike, since it wasn't terribly cold, but was cold enough that random bits of ice would cover the trail. (Then I moved back to AZ....)

Now that I'm in UT, I have my 2 wheel bent for most of my commuting, and a velomobile for when the streets get sketchy, and it gets cold. It can be made fully enclosed for really cold weather, and with 3 wheels, I don't have any issues with a little snow or ice. If there's a lot of snow on the ground, I'll just drive, but even with the really bad snow we had this past winter, they do such a good job salting and plowing that I don't think I'll miss too many days do to weather.
Old 07-12-19, 09:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
impressive history, you can be rightly proud. I did a full year back in 2009-10? regardless of weather, but not every day. I was planning on continuing, until circumstances outside my control, threw a stick in my spokes. I ain't as good as I once was, but you can't take away my glory days
Old 07-12-19, 10:06 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Merino Wool or Cashmere. Preferably from Salvation Army. I'm a wool commuter from below freezing to 80ish (although thin wool can go warmer). Wonderful temperature range, sweat wicking, no smell fabric.

Died in the wool, wool wearing commuter.
Likes For chas58:
Old 07-12-19, 10:09 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I did twelve years all seasons to work and wondered how many folks do that? I only bikes about eight miles.
but eight miles in winter can be tough. After semi-retiring I am less dedicated. At 0200 a few days ago it was already 78 in Misery and I decided to drive. What a wuss. I guess I'm not as dedicated as I used to be I'm 67 and have a few wrecked body parts so it is interesting. But that is the way life can be. How about you folks? Be Well. Bluesfrog
i have commuted year round for about 7 years I guess now. I have 11 miles one way (straightest shot) So I am careful with the weather but have ridden as low as 13F and HOT and humid.
Old 07-12-19, 10:13 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I am a teacher; so I don't have to go in every day in the summer (but it sure seems that there are a lot of meetings scheduled for the summer months). Other than that, I ride every day.
Old 07-12-19, 01:40 PM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have been a year round, 8 miles each way commuter for 3 years. I don't ride below 30 degrees or if it is raining in the morning. I don't have to skip for rain or cold very often. If I skip it is most likely because I have something to do after work.

I absolutely love bike commuting. It has made a huge difference in my health and attitude.
Old 07-12-19, 02:41 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Commuting rain or shine in PNW over 7 years. Snow and dangerous icy conditions I've stopped riding in recently, just not worth the risk as my routes are hilly!
Old 07-12-19, 05:09 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've been commuting year-round for a few years in Madison WI. Temps can get down to -15 F under normal conditions, and last year a freak "polar vortex" got us down to -27 F, the coldest I can remember. Oddly enough I was at home that week because my workplace closed and I was caring for a relative.

For me, it's an adventure. Folks do all sorts of weird things, for me, it's riding my bike in all weather. My commute is only 4 miles each way with minimal hills, and I dress pretty warm, so I'm not really in any grave danger even if I have to get off my bike and walk. Folks in the north work real jobs outdoors in much more extreme weather, and it's just a fact of life.

For heat, I slow down. For rain, I have rain gear, or I just risk getting wet.

This winter will be my first with a dedicated winter bike, but I've been using studded tires on my regular bikes. So far, I've really had no bike related problems.
Old 07-12-19, 06:45 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I was a year-round all weather bike comuter for 3 years until I took the company's early retirement package.

Before that I drove to work for 14 years. I hated it because it was only 4.5km from home but I couldn't find a safe way to cross one of the freeways by bike.

Then on bike-to-work day 2014, I took a vacation day and went downtoen to the event. A volunteer handed out free Toronto Cycling maps. I studied it and found a safe way to get to work crossing that freeway. And the rest is history.
Old 07-12-19, 08:33 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
20 years commuting year long, 20 kms round trip. But it's on flat roads,and in a mild climate - it never snows where I live.
Old 07-12-19, 11:27 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
How died in the wool as a commuter?

but eight miles in winter can be tough. After semi-retiring I am less dedicated. At 0200 a few days ago it was already 78 in Misery and I decided to drive. What a wuss. I guess I'm not as dedicated as I used to be I'm 67 and have a few wrecked body parts so it is interesting. But that is the way life can be.

How about you folks? Be Well. Bluesfrog
I have described myself as a “decades-long, year-round cycle commuter” of variable intensity, but always with enthusiasm.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
And I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons.

For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular high-level cycling outer suburbs...
For the past few years, circa 2012 to currently, I have been hampered by some medical maladies and cycling injuries, including a 2012 accident that kept me off work for three months, and off the bike for five.

However I have described my most serious impediment:
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, "How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?"...

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, "I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to."
but,
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-13-19 at 03:22 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.