Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roadies, not on board with assist - prepare to be C&V'd

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roadies, not on board with assist - prepare to be C&V'd

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 09:40 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I think that's quite a stretch.
So are discs on road bikes.
Old 07-22-19, 09:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
A few people misunderstand my initial post.
I think that people understood but didn't see much merit in that conversation and so decided to take it in a more practical direction.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-22-19, 09:44 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Keep in mind that there are two types of e-bikes.

Throttle operated don't need to be pedaled.

e-assist need to be pedaled and the motor only assists. Assist is supposed to cut out above 20 MPH.

Assuming that either are unmodified, both types should not be lumped together. A rider with disability or an older rider getting an assist is not the same as someone twisting a throttle and going from 0 to 20 in two seconds.

-Tim-
Old 07-22-19, 09:51 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Keep in mind that there are two types of e-bikes.

Throttle operated don't need to be pedaled.

e-assist need to be pedaled and the motor only assists. Assist is supposed to cut out above 20 MPH.
There are 2 types of e-assist bikes. Some top out at 20mph, and some at 28mph.

Who is selling throttle operated e-bikes? I'm not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen them.
Old 07-22-19, 09:53 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
So are discs on road bikes.
Old 07-22-19, 09:55 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
The only place you see these is in museums now. Sad!

Old 07-22-19, 10:19 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The main problem/negative I see is when the E bikes start hitting the A rides and egos begin taking hits. The arms race will really heat up. When the best riders in the group see their advantages disappear, watch out. When they are no longer first to the top of the hill or can't win the road sign sprints any more, what do you think will happen? They will go to e-assist as well. People will find a way around the assist cutouts, etc. They'll start souping up those motors as well. The group cruising speed of 28 is going to jump to 35. Then it will keep on jumping. You will have those hammerfest coal train pace lines flying down the road at 40+mph. That will be creating some dangerous situations. Absolutely no room for error/mistakes. Bear in mind that any performance increase will help the better riders more.
Old 07-22-19, 10:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The main problem/negative I see is when the E bikes start hitting the A rides and egos begin taking hits. The arms race will really heat up. When the best riders in the group see their advantages disappear, watch out. When they are no longer first to the top of the hill or can't win the road sign sprints any more, what do you think will happen? They will go to e-assist as well. People will find a way around the assist cutouts, etc. They'll start souping up those motors as well. The group cruising speed of 28 is going to jump to 35. Then it will keep on jumping. You will have those hammerfest coal train pace lines flying down the road at 40+mph. That will be creating some dangerous situations. Absolutely no room for error/mistakes. Bear in mind that any performance increase will help the better riders more.
Any group ride that welcomes ebike sprints to the town sign ebikes is a group ride that I'll happily skip.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-22-19, 10:38 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

A significant reason for the increase in rate of e-bike sales at the leading edge.
No longer for those who just want to 'stay with the group' in the hills.
…..Stylin with your e-SWorks, eTimeMachine, e-TRC, e-Emonda...
Old 07-22-19, 11:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
No it won't. No self respecting hammer group would allow an e-bike. That's not a hammer ride, that's go karting. The group would simply disband or tell the person/people not to come back.

There might be a separate "motorized bike gang" running round town like a bunch of sportbike squids. But that group wouldn't be welcome on the hammer ride.

Also, any self respecting Sunday coffee ride WOULD allow one.

Let's be honest though, the off-road group has a LOT more to lose in this battle than roadies. You can't tear up the road on an e-bike (literally break it). You can destroy a trail with an overweight rider plus an overweight bike with a whole 1/2 horsepower at disposal at all times treating it like a motorbike.

I think what bugs me most about the interaction is that people riding them try to insert themselves into pedal bike fitness based competition and pretend it's the same thing. It's not. All the videos of the e-mtb races and e-races are motorbike races. They aren't bicycle races. Calling it such is pretty disingenuous. It's like trying to say you bowled a 200 with the gutter guards up.

It's closer to motocross or a really slow class of motorcycle racing than it is to bicycle racing.

I don't think people realize how MUCH power these things give people. 250w additional? How many people riding an e-bike could ever even do 250w for 5 minutes?

If I added 250w to an hour ride of mine at my hour power, I'd essentially be a freaking moped or mini-motorcycle flying around. 520w combined is 2/3 of a horsepower! The max for a moped to be a moped is 3hp.

At my 2min power it would be close to a whole horsepower. That's just silly.

If you're a decent size and have the gears, you can climb grades at about 150w. I think the limit needs to be a LOT lower on how much power these things are allowed to contribute.

Guess what, if it doesn't give enough assist uphill.......you might be big enough a moped wouldn't help super much either!

God bless the people the bikes can help with their lives.......but the lazy childish idiots out there will ruin it.

This is our future:
Old 07-22-19, 11:08 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I think what bugs me most about the interaction is that people riding them try to insert themselves into pedal bike fitness based competition and pretend it's the same thing. It's not. All the videos of the e-mtb races and e-races are motorbike races. They aren't bicycle races. Calling it such is pretty disingenuous. It's like trying to say you bowled a 200 with the gutter guards up.
Old 07-22-19, 11:09 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'm on the board of a club which just outlawed ebikes on our signature endurance ride. Unanimous. That's a good start.

Another group which I lead had an ebike come out maybe 3 times. I gather that the experience was unsatisfactory because he went away and hasn't been seen again. Good.
Old 07-22-19, 11:11 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
There are 2 types of e-assist bikes. Some top out at 20mph, and some at 28mph.

Who is selling throttle operated e-bikes? I'm not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen them.
https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike/
Old 07-22-19, 11:14 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

OTOH, one of our fastest riders has a 25 mile commute, each way. He bought an ebike, and now it's an hour commute and he doesn't arrive sweaty. That's on the road, not a MUP. I'm fine with that. Dice with the MVs like any motorbike.
Old 07-22-19, 11:16 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Not gonna happen. It's not about winning, it's about busting the nuts of your competitors. Ebikes take that fun away.
Old 07-22-19, 11:20 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Hikers like them (but not the price or power limits) for closed and decommissioned roads. The 3 Fingers trail is 15 miles round trip, but the road washed out 8 miles from the trailhead, and nobody wants to add a 16 mile road walk to an already long trip.
Old 07-22-19, 11:26 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Egos won't take hits in the A rides, certainly not if they know that the e-bikes are e-bikes. Nobody is impressed by people going fast uphill with a motor.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-22-19, 11:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
No it won't. No self respecting hammer group would allow an e-bike. That's not a hammer ride, that's go karting. The group would simply disband or tell the person/people not to come back.

There might be a separate "motorized bike gang" running round town like a bunch of sportbike squids. But that group wouldn't be welcome on the hammer ride.

Also, any self respecting Sunday coffee ride WOULD allow one.

Let's be honest though, the off-road group has a LOT more to lose in this battle than roadies. You can't tear up the road on an e-bike (literally break it). You can destroy a trail with an overweight rider plus an overweight bike with a whole 1/2 horsepower at disposal at all times treating it like a motorbike.

It's closer to motocross or a really slow class of motorcycle racing than it is to bicycle racing.

I don't think people realize how MUCH power these things give people. 250w additional? How many people riding an e-bike could ever even do 250w for 5 minutes?

If I added 250w to an hour ride of mine at my hour power, I'd essentially be a freaking moped or mini-motorcycle flying around. 520w combined is 2/3 of a horsepower! The max for a moped to be a moped is 3hp.

At my 2min power it would be close to a whole horsepower. That's just silly.
A lot of the e bikes I see are fat bikes. Or eMTBs. We're talking about tires with 100w more rolling resistance than anything you'd ever consider. Plus bikes with terrible aerodynamics and riders in a sit up and beg posture. 500w on a slow bike is like 200w on a road bike.
Old 07-22-19, 11:48 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I think it's largely a fad that'll come and go.
How were motorcycles invented? By motorizing bicycles. It's been done.
I've got nothing against motorcycles, but can't see much point in trying to go halfway.
If you're too slow for the group, that's okay, just go find a slower group.
Bicycles have advantages (exercise, fitness) and disadvantages (exposed to elements and traffic). Electric bikes get you the disadvantages without the advantages. About as pointless as a Segway.

Now, all that said-
I do randonneuring. I ride 125 miles and average maybe 15 mph.
When I get too old for that, I'm going to buy a tractor. Then I'll do the same routes at the same speed on my tractor. We'll call that "tractorneuring".
Old 07-22-19, 11:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Heck, you don't need to soup up the motor or use it on the sprint to have an advantage. Someone who usually competes for line sprints and is now fresher because the used the assist to help them up a hill (where the current governor restricted 28 is still faster than most riders - assuming a solid hill here, not a little roller), is going to see a nice advantage. Don't think most rides will allow it due to the whole getting faster before you've got the skills thing.
Old 07-22-19, 11:58 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Cool story. I will watch the movie when it comes out.
Old 07-22-19, 11:59 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The A rides I go on are pretty much all racers, with a definite skew to 1s and 2s. I don't see it happening.
Old 07-22-19, 12:12 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Not gonna happen. It's not about winning, it's about busting the nuts of your competitors. Ebikes take that fun away.
For you maybe.
Current society = it's about winning, not about busting any nuts, especially your own.
Old 07-22-19, 12:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
For you maybe.
Current society = it's about winning, not about busting any nuts, especially your own.
We're not talking about society, we're talking about the Tuesday Night World Championships.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-22-19, 01:04 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Egos won't take hits in the A rides, certainly not if they know that the e-bikes are e-bikes. Nobody is impressed by people going fast uphill with a motor.
I can vouch for this. I'm over 50 and a Clyde. I'm doing really good if my average ride speed over my morning 30 mile ride is 15 MPH. I've been passed by a couple of groups and I've sat at stop lights with a few of the riders from these groups. I'm not going to say they're unfriendly...I'll just say that they make sure I understand that we're of different species.

I would imagine the interaction would be even colder for an e-bike rider that dares enter their ranks.

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.