Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How many ride a heavier bike to build endurance?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-25-19, 01:47 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

I have been riding my 29er lately which with its XL frame weighs in at 30+ pounds. I feel this will help me be a better road rider when I want to ride my road bike (size 60cm that weighs in at 20 pounds fully loaded). I think that by pushing the heavier bike my endurance and muscle tone will have beneficial results so that when I ride the road bike it will feel like I am putting out less effort for the same or better results (speed, distance).

So how many of you are riding a heavier bike in order to be able to ride your lighter bike with more ease?
Old 08-25-19, 02:04 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I would prefer to ride a light bike faster to get the same amount of work done.
Sometimes I will take my heavy duty gravel bike on a road ride if I am going with a slow group of other riders.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 08-25-19, 02:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
No way. I'm going to ride the nicest, most appropriate bike that I have available for a given ride. If I want to up the effort, I've got gears and increasing wind resistance to take care of that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-25-19, 03:09 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Riding a heavy bike isn't harder, you just go slower.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 08-25-19, 03:12 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Bingo. My two bikes are about 8lbs apart. The lighter one is a little faster.

But in truth, neither are "heavy." Forty pounds would be heavy. My porky one is 26.
Old 08-25-19, 03:23 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
A timely thread. I ride the BRC 43'lber all the time and I don't want to push myself too hard on it because it just takes so much damn effort to get up to significant speed and remain there. And, you slow down fast if not pedalling. Ironically, the lighter road bike is more of a workout because you are rewarded with speed and therefore want to push the bike harder.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 08-25-19, 03:35 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I've ridden my MTB when going on a ride with my wife. She's a good rider, but hasn't put quite the mileage in I have, so I'd weigh myself down a little for those rides. Worked out fine... then we bought a tandem.
Old 08-25-19, 03:46 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Endurance is a function of seat time, not bike weight.
Want greater endurance?
Go for longer rides.

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 08-25-19, 03:48 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
For the endurance rides I have done, weight doesn't seem to be all that important. I have a Rivendell that weighs in at around 40 pounds fully loaded for a brevet and a Seven that's around 30. My average speed on the bike is not noticeably different on either one over long distances. I notice a little difference in acceleration and on big hills, but it doesn't seem to be significant enough to impact average speed in any material way. I can't keep up with the same fast guys on either bike.
Old 08-25-19, 03:56 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Dragon Ball Z logic again. Get in the hyper gravity chamber and go Super Sayan.

In reality, it just makes rides harder.

On race day, go ahead and toss the 1050g tubulars on the bike instead of the 1600g crit wheels. Beyond that, you're just training to ride slow.

Back before I had a grown up job, I rode a pedicab full time. 3-6 days a week, 6pm until 3am most of the time. It weighed 190lbs empty. I was super strong at the time. It made me an excellent hiker, on a nice hike though, I had been trained to ride slow.
Old 08-25-19, 04:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Agree with most of the above. Training is a function of the watts you produce. Whatever you are riding you are limited by your watts. If you put out 300 watts it doesn't matter what you are riding, you just go slower on the boat anchor.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-25-19, 04:30 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
I don't. I always say I should take my Sirrus out, but then when it comes to it, I grab the road bike. The heavier bike is for general tomfoolery, aka "biking" while the road bike is for "cycling" - I have to keep telling my wife there's a difference.
Old 08-25-19, 04:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
In addition to not using more energy, you are missing the "time in the saddle" benefits, or specificity of the road bike.
Old 08-25-19, 06:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I ride heavier bikes than I need because I like the look/style/timelessness/fabrication of the frames.

I could easily buy a hollow sounding carbon bike with quality components...but that isn't appealing to me.

But sure- I'll gladly claim it's in the spirit of endurance training. That's why I'm not fast.
Old 08-25-19, 06:58 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
I've ridden my MTB when going on a ride with my wife. She's a good rider, but hasn't put quite the mileage in I have, so I'd weigh myself down a little for those rides. Worked out fine... then we bought a tandem.
A tandem went by on our walk yesterday morning. my wife said she would be fine riding it with me but i would need to do all the peddling.
Old 08-25-19, 07:09 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Part of why I am using the mountain bike is due to the fact it has platform pedals with the SPD clips on both sides so I can just hop on and ride which equals time in the saddle vs getting my kit and shoes on to ride the road bike.

I do have a 35 year old steel road bike, but I haven't spent much time on it in the last few years since I picked up the carbon bike.
Old 08-25-19, 07:28 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
A tandem went by on our walk yesterday morning. my wife said she would be fine riding it with me but i would need to do all the peddling.
Mine is kinda competitive when she wants to be. Once, while riding around White Rock Lake in Dallas, a guy pulled up behind us and said "Ooh, a tandem! Free ride!"
She almost tossed me out of the saddle when she engaged her turbo-legs. The poor guy looking for sweet sweet tandem draft fell back with a pained look on his face, unable to keep up.

Moments like that.
Likes For velojym:
Old 08-25-19, 07:50 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
By that logic, you could ride a 40-lb gas pipe bike from the 50s with a rusty bottom bracket and huge knobby tires and become an absolute cycling monster. IMHO you can ride a heavier bike . . . or . . . you can ride your road bike harder and faster, up more hills, into the wind, etc. The fitness benefit doesn't depend on the bike, it depends on how much the rider puts into it. How much fun you have doing so is another matter.
Old 08-25-19, 09:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My heavier bike is a 25 lb steelie. I don't ride it because it's heavier. I ride it because it's more comfortable on rough roads.

It may be tiny bit slower on climbs but our terrain is mostly roller coasters so over distance it all evens out with the carbon. We don't have any long enough continuous climbs to show any clear advantage to the carbon bike. But on smooth pavement it's a little less tiring over distance.

I have a comfort hybrid bike I use for errands. Massive aluminum tubes. Weighs about 40 lbs with racks, panniers, etc. Not sure it contributes to making me stronger. Riding my road bikes in a bigger gear and pushing harder makes me stronger on those bikes. Otherwise I'd spin and it all evens out.
Old 08-25-19, 09:32 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have a 2005 Schwinn SS DBX that I have set up with lower gearing, fatter tires, front/rear racks, fenders,etc. that is my commute/ errand and bad weather bike. It is much heavier than the 2 bikes I ride most of the time. I do not ride it for the purpose of a work out. That does not make sense to me. However, when I do ride it a fair amount for whatever reason, I sure do feel strong and fast when I get back on my favorite road wheels.
Old 08-25-19, 10:22 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I've thought about gaining weight so I would get a better workout no matter which bike I am riding.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-25-19, 10:55 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I don't intentionally ride my hybrid/fitness bike as a means to get stronger. It's simply for errands and tasks where I'm going to have to lock it up (no way I'm taking my other two bikes out if I'm not either on them, or within easy reach of them).

But as Delbiker1 says, I sure do feel stronger when I get back on my other bikes.
Old 08-26-19, 03:27 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
It is harder if you're riding in a group though. Changing to the cheaper tyres might help as well.
Old 08-26-19, 03:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I ride longer to build endurance.
Old 08-26-19, 05:01 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
As long as you're keeping up with the group, of course you'll get a better work out/stronger on the heavier bike. That's why weenies like lighter bikes... it makes going fast easier. Get a trailer and load it with bricks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.