Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tire swaps on tubeless

Old 08-26-19, 11:52 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Tire swaps on tubeless

I've been wondering recently what everyone does when swapping tires on tubeless setups? I've had occasion to swap some tires recently and it was a real pain. The old tires weren't worn out, I wanted to try a different tire for a few rides. All the extra work to swap tubeless tires made me wonder if anyone has any tricks for this? I don't usually have a problem seating the bead, it's just all the messing with old dried sealant and fresh sealant that sucks. It takes something that used to be quick and easy but is now a hassle that you need to plan some time ahead for. For people who want to optimize their tire choice for a given ride, how do you do this in a reasonable time and without wasting bunches of money on sealant?
Old 08-26-19, 12:08 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Extra wheelset. I haven't gotten to that point yet, I'm just riding the stock tires. But eventually I can see two gravel wheelsets, one with aggressive tires and one with something faster. I wouldn't want to mess with swapping tires.
Old 08-26-19, 01:16 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I have two wheelsets also, one with road and one with gravel tires.
Old 08-26-19, 01:22 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
i use multiple wheelsets but I can also set up a new tubeless setup in under and hour and be rolling on the road/gravel which includes removing and installing a new set of tires. Its super easy if you are just replacing, but if you're looking to swap and save the old tires, then you simply let the air out by pulling the valve core, break the bead, use a syringe with a hose to suck up any extra sealant, remove the tire, blast the old tire and rim with a hose to rinse off any old sealant and gunk, install new tire and seat with a compressor/chamber or floorpump depending on your setup, add sealant, install valve core, repump, give the rim a spin and shake, install and roll out the door.
Old 08-26-19, 01:45 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Pick an all-rounder tire, build a second wheelset, or use tubes.

Constantly messing with sealant-laden setups is always going to be inconvenient, and it's best to not screw with a tubeless tire's bead seating more than you need to.
Old 08-28-19, 04:08 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
A second wheelset and/or use tubes is probably the best.

I use skinny strippers in my tire (effectively sealing the entire air chamber and making it tubular). If I'm careful I can swap tires (if the bead isn't too tight) which I do occasionally.

For example,
I rotate these tires front/rear a little faster than I can with an inner tubed tire.
Occasionally I put an extra big tire on the front. I can take the tubeless tire off - ride the tubed tire for a couple of weeks, and then just put the tubeless tire back on.
Old 08-29-19, 09:12 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Did I make it before the skinny strippers guy?
Wasn't familiar with this setup, but yes.

After the first time changing tires I decided to just spend the couple hundred bucks and build another wheelset. I’ve ridden with guys that have issues with the bead stretching after a couple removal/install cycles or start having mystery issues going back and forth with the tire holding air. Not to mention the additional cost of sealant, recycling it never works as well.
Do you mean built yourself? Or where are you finding good wheelsets for that price?

I wasn't aware that tubeless tires had a limited number of installations. Good to know...

Originally Posted by chas58
I use skinny strippers in my tire (effectively sealing the entire air chamber and making it tubular). If I'm careful I can swap tires (if the bead isn't too tight) which I do occasionally.
I hadn't seen this setup before, interesting. It looks very similar to the old "ghetto tubeless" I've seen though?
Old 08-29-19, 12:45 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've swapped out tires on three tubeless wheelsets this year alone. The people claiming mess and hassle have clearly never done it. It might take me 20 minutes to remove one tire, completely clean it and store it, put on another tire, mount, add sealant, and be ready to go. It's 40 milliliters of liquid latex per tire at most, folks. I use syringe to vacuum the sealant out of one tire, and squirt it into another. What little of the sealant goes rogue, Orange Seal rinses off with a little water.

That said, it is a perfect excuse to buy a second wheelset. I have a dedicated set for my knobbies.
Old 08-29-19, 01:14 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I cared any less about what you thought, pressing these keys would be too much effort.

I’ve been running 40mL in 700x35s for years. Or so I claim. Who knows. Maybe it’s all a grand illusion for some unknowable end goal.
Likes For DrIsotope:
Old 08-29-19, 03:05 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I've swapped out tires on three tubeless wheelsets this year alone. The people claiming mess and hassle have clearly never done it. It might take me 20 minutes to remove one tire, completely clean it and store it, put on another tire, mount, add sealant, and be ready to go. It's 40 milliliters of liquid latex per tire at most, folks. I use syringe to vacuum the sealant out of one tire, and squirt it into another. What little of the sealant goes rogue, Orange Seal rinses off with a little water.

That said, it is a perfect excuse to buy a second wheelset. I have a dedicated set for my knobbies.
Yep - realistically the inside of a tubeless tire should be cleaned out periodically anyway. Get rid of Stanimals, dried puddles and just excess dry gunk.

And extra wheels, running tubes, or skinny strippers are various alternatives. I like the extra wheelset.
Old 08-29-19, 03:20 PM
redlude97

FWIW I run 100ml in a 38-40c tire when new and top off with 50ml whenever the level drops off. After awhile the liquid carrier does seem to build up and dilute the solids in the sealant but I never run 1 set of tires long enough for that to become a significant problem as I'm constantly rotate tires for conditions on different wheelsets
Old 08-30-19, 09:31 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Two wheel sets
- one is narrower, the road wheels. That set is tubed... easy to swap tires
- wider rims, the gravel/dirt wheels. Those stay tubeless and no tire swapping
Old 08-30-19, 09:48 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by redlude97
FWIW I run 100ml in a 38-40c tire when new and top off with 50ml whenever the level drops off. After awhile the liquid carrier does seem to build up and dilute the solids in the sealant but I never run 1 set of tires long enough for that to become a significant problem as I'm constantly rotate tires for conditions on different wheelsets
so, how do you know when it gets low? Do you use a dipstick?
Old 08-30-19, 09:50 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by Zaskar
Two wheel sets
- one is narrower, the road wheels. That set is tubed... easy to swap tires
- wider rims, the gravel/dirt wheels. Those stay tubeless and no tire swapping

good idea. I'm tending do to that, but I have the wide tires tubed. Actually, the 40mm gets the most use, so it has the skinny stripper so I can easily take it off/on. That lets me put on a tubed 50mm when I need the flotation.
Old 08-30-19, 10:09 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by chas58
so, how do you know when it gets low? Do you use a dipstick?
Pull the wheel and give it a good shake. If it sloshes its good to go. If I dont hear it or it sounds low I pull the valve core which I do regularly to clean anyways and use a zip tie end to dipstick check
Old 08-30-19, 12:04 PM
Big R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This all seems needlessly complicated to me...I have two sets of wheels. "Road" wheels running 25mm tires, rarely take them off rim, but no big deal when I do. Orange Seal comes with a dip stick. I can deflate slowly, remove valve core, check level/add if needed--usually without even breaking the bead. Second "off-road" wheels, I swap tires pretty regularly, 5 min cleaning and re-using Orange Seal--if it was good enough to work in the old tire, no reason it shouldn't work in the new one. Whole process is w/i a few minutes of clincher tubed swap out...but I do have a compressor, which is HUGE! Lots of good tutorials on youtube and manufacturers' sites.
Old 08-30-19, 12:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Unnecessary maintenance offers opportunities to scratch and mar your stuff. Just keep riding the same ones til they don’t hold air or the tread is gone