Focused1
Who said slow isn't fun..

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1, Lemond Buenos Aires, Santa Cruz Superlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turnbull Canyon climb?

I think I'd be going the west to east route. Any details? Distance, profile, traffic etc?
Old 02-17-18, 03:26 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Starting from SGRT up Beverly Blvd to Skyline it is 5.25 miles and 983 feet of climb.

It is very popular amongst hikers,joggers, roadies, motorcyclists and the occasional wannabe race driver on the weekends. Not much of a shoulder, maybe two feet max. Be aware of the road being slick from dew in the morning before the sun has a chance to dry it out.

The road itself is rough and needs to be repaved especially as you near the main trailhead for hikers from the west.

Good local place for conditioning interval training rides.
Old 02-17-18, 04:45 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It's a nice bit of road and there should be plenty of cyclists on it with the occasional hotted up civic wanna be racer.

Here's an over and back I did a while ago: https://www.strava.com/activities/558832029

and if you want to add the inappropriately named "descending", which is a very steep hill to the mix: https://www.strava.com/activities/559702990

I can't get over Descending with anything more than a compact crank and a 32 tooth cog in the back, but that's me and I'm no lightweight. The second route also shows how you can keep going around to Colima and come back down Mar Vista if you prefer - it's a little less climbing than the return leg of Turnbull.

I actually think both side of turnbull are very pleasant for climbing. Not too steep and they're long enough that you can get into a groove.
Old 02-20-18, 11:29 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
i agree with everything TrojanHorse has noted above. The only things I can add are notes about degree of difficulty.

From the Beverly side, there is only one way up. 5-6% and overall a nice climb, not too difficult.

From the Hacienda Heights side, however, you have three choices.

1. Descending (which you will be ascending) is the most difficult. From Turnbull Canyon Road, right turn on Avocado Terrace, right turn on Oak Canyon (this climb gets up to 11%) then just when you're tired out, left turn onto Descending. I would call this "brutal" and it tops out at 20%. Agree with TrojanHorse, I use a 34 x 32 for Descending. Exit onto Skyline which takes you to Turnbull Summit.

2. If you want a challenging climb that is a tad less brutal than ascending Descending, try Edgeridge. Same instructions regarding Avocado Terrace but don't turn on Oak Canyon, rather continue about 1/2 mile further and after a sharp left hair-pin, turn right onto Edgeridge. You will top out (after one false summit) on Skyline but you'll approach from the opposite side, so left turn to get to Turnbull Summit.

3. The easiest way up is just to stay on Turnbull and avoid all the Avocado Terrace options!

Have a good ride, lovely area and once you're off of Turnbull to Avocado Terrace motor traffic is almost non-existent.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-20-18, 11:34 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
What is this descending with a 34x32 cog you speak of?
Old 02-20-18, 02:39 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
What is this descending with a 34x32 cog you speak of?
A short and narrow but very steep climb in the Whittier Hills. I'm guessing they named it Descending because cars are only supposed to go down it . . . but that's just a guess. It's not much more than a car width wide.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-20-18, 05:40 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As TH mentions, there is the occasional modified Civic (S2k) racing in the area. In general, use your ears wisely and avoid headphones. If you hear an engine at high RPM, consider yielding the whole road and bail off the shoulder.

Also bring a well stocked flat kit (2 spare tubes). Even though the climbs here are short, you need to fix flats quickly and skillfully and leave the area.

The HH side has had trouble in the past with some bad actors: overly enthusiastic photographers, pot-house-security, and dogs.

I think in a one year span there were 5 pot grows found in this area, 2 outdoor and 3 in-door.
Old 02-23-18, 08:14 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by marquhar
The HH side has had trouble in the past with some bad actors: overly enthusiastic photographers, pot-house-security, and dogs.
I've never experienced any of that, thankfully. Never had a flat on either side either! Knock on wood.

As for Edgeridge, I've heard Rick call it "deathridge" before so take it with a grain of salt that it's easier.