Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The young see things differently.....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 06:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts

Just got back from a short ride with my oldest son. Every time I caught up with him, he was standing still on the side of the trail.

I accused him of having to take too many rests. He said he was just waiting for the old man.

Am I seeing things wrong?
Old 03-13-18, 07:06 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Not wrong
Seeing it from
A different point of view

He’s kicking your butt
&
All you see is his butt
LOL
Old 03-13-18, 07:41 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Just got back from a short ride with my oldest son. Every time I caught up with him, he was standing still on the side of the trail.

I accused him of having to take too many rests. He said he was just waiting for the old man.

Am I seeing things wrong?

Ain't it amazing how the perspectives differ?
Old 03-13-18, 07:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
So far I can still blow my Nephew and Niece off the road.

But... is only time until the story changes... if they actually ride more than a few times a year.

Perhaps the trick will be to keep them in something I can match them with... open road... and keep away from the technical MTB trails
Old 03-13-18, 08:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I never see things wrong. In group rides I always see people's behinds. If the rides are long enough eventually those same people ahead of me seem to get really tiny. Must be some sorta optical illusion.
Old 03-14-18, 11:18 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I never see things wrong. In group rides I always see people's behinds. If the rides are long enough eventually those same people ahead of me seem to get really tiny. Must be some sorta optical illusion.
^^^ This.

Ten years ago, one of my secret pleasures was spotting an old guy up ahead and dropping him. Now I'm that guy.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-14-18, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Tell him you are purposefully riding slower he is because you want him to feel good about himself. If he challenges you to a race, threaten to not let him use the car or go to the prom or something.
Old 03-14-18, 11:38 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Yep.

Old 03-14-18, 11:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
I miss the old days when we all rode together & stayed together
Old 03-14-18, 03:53 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm riding a three Generation RAGBRAI this July. It will be interesting to see how the bike speeds sort out between the grandson (16) his father (42), his uncle (39) and me (68).

Hope the young'uns can keep up with the Grandfather in the group!

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-14-18, 07:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

The RAGRAI has intrigued me for quite some years now. Maybe one year I'll have to at least show up.

As for my son, he's 30 yo. I don't think threatening to curtail his driving will work. I actually wish he wouldn't wait. I finally got him off the mountain bike and doing road biking last year. I think he could really post some good times at some of the century rides we do if he'd not worry that I've had a heart attack or collapsed somewhere.
Old 03-15-18, 09:54 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Several years ago I was visiting family in my home town. My nephew's daughter was then 12 years old and is a competitive swimmer which she has been for several years. We arm wrestled one afternoon and I had all I could do to beat her. Swimmers are very strong. I was going to challenge again last summer but decided not to risk it.
Old 03-15-18, 12:37 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
The RAGRAI has intrigued me for quite some years now. Maybe one year I'll have to at least show up. .
I have ridden RAGBRAI 16 times but the last time was 2006. My oldest son rode it once when he was 14 whereas my youngest son has ridden it six times. The first time he was 10, on the back of my tandem. The last time he was in his mid 20's. My grandson, on the other hand, has very little idea what he's getting into.

Should be fun.

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-16-18, 06:06 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Next ride out, just keep pedaling past him when he has stopped. Remember the tortoise and the hare yarn? Just getting on your bike and completing a ride is well ahead of the majority of the 50+ population, take the small victories as the come your way.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-16-18, 09:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Next ride out, just keep pedaling past him when he has stopped. Remember the tortoise and the hare yarn? Just getting on your bike and completing a ride is well ahead of the majority of the 50+ population, take the small victories as the come your way.

Bill
I did.... considering any two bikes, sailboats or what have you going the same general direction are by default always engaged in a race, I won! I was the first back to our starting point by at least .5 seconds.

I had several things against me that day. For one, it was 51℉. My legs don't work well in anything less than 75℉. I'd also put on an old pair of compression pants for warmth that were way too tight. I think they were hindering the blood circulation, or at least that's my excuse. My legs were unusually sore after that ride.

As a plus on that ride, I did still beat him up the more challenging hills on the ride.
Old 03-17-18, 10:19 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I did.... considering any two bikes, sailboats or what have you going the same general direction are by default always engaged in a race, I won! I was the first back to our starting point by at least .5 seconds.

I had several things against me that day. For one, it was 51℉. My legs don't work well in anything less than 75℉. I'd also put on an old pair of compression pants for warmth that were way too tight. I think they were hindering the blood circulation, or at least that's my excuse. My legs were unusually sore after that ride.

As a plus on that ride, I did still beat him up the more challenging hills on the ride.

Ahh, the tight pants excuse. Good one.
Old 03-17-18, 12:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
...I'd also put on an old pair of compression pants for warmth that were way too tight. I think they were hindering the blood circulation, or at least that's my excuse. My legs were unusually sore after that ride.
Yeah, I've tried compression socks, including knee-highs, during rides. They constrict my circulation and my toes went numb. No perceived advantage during a ride.

I'll wear compression socks at home during recoveries, especially when my shins and ankles swell. But no more during rides.

Just tying my shoes too snugly, or snugging down the clipless shoe straps a bit too much, can interfere with my circulation. I have to cope with a little slop in the footwear.
Old 03-18-18, 10:28 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I kind of envy you. My son will ride to work or to his university now and again, a few miles, but that's it. I'd love for him to ride enough to be able to drop me.
Old 03-25-18, 06:25 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
My son is an avid cyclist in his own right and co-owns two bike shops in Montreal. In 2009 I rode a week in Tuscany with him. I was 51 at the time, and he was 19. I could keep up with him and in fact I remember one day when I out endured him and he had to draft behind me for a long stretch into a stiff headwind.

But since then, he's crossed the Andes three times on an epic 3 months in South America, and he just got back from a month of riding in the Andes in Colombia, and has done a whole bunch of other stuff in between.

He's now 28 and in top shape, small stature and thin, and unstoppable on the hills. I turn 60 in June with all that implies in the way of aches and pains... but I can still ride centuries if they're not too hilly, and metric centuries that are very hilly.