Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Saronni Thread (Show us your Red Colnagos!)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago Saronni Thread (Show us your Red Colnagos!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19, 09:33 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
Just Unboxed...

Cool!

You know, it’s kind of ironic looking back and I remembered Wesley Snipes wearing this:

At the same time, we never once saw him ride a Colnago in “White Men Can’t Jump.” Those shorts, though...

Still, that cap is cool, and I got one just like it. I wish Pace could make more of these 3 panel cycling caps, but they don’t. Anyway, on with the Saronni show.

I went online to the bane of my existence; eBay, and found a 1st Generation Colnago Master with a mixture of Campagnolo Super Record components some good, and some worse for wear. Especially the rear derailleur jockey plates and the front derailleur inner plate. The chain was an 8 speed Japanese made Taya, and the freewheel was a Regina America Extra 7 speed. None of it matched up.

Please excuse the cell phone picture. I just opened it up, unboxed it, and absolutely everything was wrapped up in bubble wrap, shrink wrap, and my three cats were playing in the bike box. But that’s the Saronni Colnago Master.

That’s a yucky picture! Here is what it looked like initially:

I had restored BMX bikes, Mountain bikes, Hybrids, Road bikes, and Touring bikes. Some for me, and some for others, but you know something? I’ve never owned anything like this before, and I hope to restore it, repair and replace as many major parts as I can, and make this bike look right. Now, I know many of you are more Campagnolo savvy than I am, and that can be helpful. But when this bike is done? It’ll fly on the road.

Thanks for letting me post here.

Last edited by Writenride; 08-25-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-24-19, 06:49 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
My 1983 Super. Bought new when I lived in Italy. I really need to ride it more.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-31-19, 02:58 PM
alexander55

Bikes: Looking for the next one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Just acquired this one. I'll have it in my possession
and have better pictures in a week or so. Sorry, but this is the only picture I have at the moment but I wanted to comment so as to see updates on this thread. Ha. (I'm not very excited or anything.)
Old 03-11-21, 04:04 PM
yeslek

Bikes: Tommasini Prestige, Bianchi Campione Del Mondo 12V, KHS Team PRO, Nishiki Prestige, Mercian KOM, MKM Pista, Specialized Roubaix, Torpado Italia, Saronni by Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Saronni project

Old 03-11-21, 04:19 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
While this is bumped, does anyone have a half-way decent paint/nail polish match for Saronni red?

I remember someone here mentioning Testors 1629T Enamel Red Metal Flake, not sure if there’s a known closer match.
Old 03-11-21, 11:18 PM
Velikus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
While this is bumped, does anyone have a half-way decent paint/nail polish match for Saronni red?

I remember someone here mentioning Testors 1629T Enamel Red Metal Flake, not sure if there’s a known closer match.
I've been using Color Therapy 370 Unwine'd nail polish that I got at TJ Maxx or Target and it matches OK. Passes the five foot test anyway.
Old 03-11-21, 11:21 PM
Velikus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Velikus
I've been using Color Therapy 370 Unwine'd nail polish that I got at TJ Maxx or Target and it matches OK. Passes the five foot test anyway.
Actually, maybe ten foot test...not in too bright sunlight...as long as your not looking for it...
Old 03-12-21, 06:31 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Velikus
Actually, maybe ten foot test...not in too bright sunlight...as long as your not looking for it...
Ha! Sounds like a perfect match to the previous owner’s touch-ups then! Thanks.
Old 03-12-21, 07:12 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well, since this is bumped I guess I can share mine here. Picked this up last year right at dusk. Paid too much but it looked good in the dark. Got it home and found a lot of paint imperfections and new but poorly applied decals. Brakes were terrible, shifitng was balky and imprecise but the ride was good on the first test test ride. Tore it pretty much completely down. With some cleaning and polishing I realized the parts were pretty much mint even though the paint was abused. I also found stuff like a pulley in the RD with more wear and play in the bushing than I've ever seen. The only thing in good shape on the bike was the new tape job on the bars. The levers are in the wrong spot by my standards but I've left them like that for now. Everything else was reworked. New cables, modern housings, red pulley in the RD, serious service of all the parts, new brake pads, and some crazy Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels that match up well for a non-classic look. The bike is now a dream to ride with all the original shifting issues gone. No balky shifts, no over shift and trim, just precise clean shifts. I'm sure the modern housing and cables with the modern cassette and new chain have a lot to do with that. So the bike frame still looks a mess close up but it's a joy to ride.

How I finished it up with some nice cushy Veloflex rubber.

Spokes match well as the pulleys that had been in my parts bin forever finally found a home.

Out on the road.

How it was when I brought it home.