Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Bought by Middle East Oil Money

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago Bought by Middle East Oil Money

Old 05-06-20, 12:22 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Well it did not end the same as when Ford almost bought Ferrari.
Using that as a segue, Before Ferrari was spun off as a separate company from Fiat, they stated that they would limit production to 7,500 per year...
Now, expect soon to overtop 10,000 units per year, and I think that was before the eventual crossover. The Purosangue due in 2021.
There might be a return to the Win on Sunday, sell on Monday plan.
Pretty sure Ford buying Ferrari would have been a disaster. Just look at how well the whole Ford-Jaguar thing went.

And Ferrari would be wise to limit sales in some way. Maybe not by simply putting a cap on the numbers, but by trying to figure out a way to create a less discouraging clientele. Most of the brand's mystique has been ruined in the new millennium by high-profile customers that seem worse than ever.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Cipolloni. Italian-made carbon frames.
Not sure what you are trying to say here. They aren't the only ones.

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
I’m glad Ernesto and family got a payday. I’m sure he’s lived comfortably but my guess is not extravagantly. Looking around and seeing the numbers of insanely wealthy around who have contributed nothing to the greater good, I’m glad a bike guy gets to cash in.
Agreed
Old 05-06-20, 01:59 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Pretty sure Ford buying Ferrari would have been a disaster. Just look at how well the whole Ford-Jaguar thing went.

And Ferrari would be wise to limit sales in some way. Maybe not by simply putting a cap on the numbers, but by trying to figure out a way to create a less discouraging clientele. Most of the brand's mystique has been ruined in the new millennium by high-profile customers that seem worse than ever.
Well at least it is private equity that bought it.
Ferrari has to answer to the shareholders now. And justify that $250M per year F-1 program
Old 05-06-20, 03:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
...and justify that $250M per year F-1 program
If there is F1 after 2020...

DD
Old 05-06-20, 03:47 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,772 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
If there is F1 after 2020...

DD
I watch from my boat in Monaco.

Don't you?
Old 05-06-20, 04:31 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
What exactly does anyone feel has been lost here? Perhaps Italians have mixed feelings of wounded national pride and thankfulness that the Colnago family received substantial financial recognition for their decades of dedication to advancing cycles and cycling - but this is mere speculation.

Having only ever owned one (or I'm not certain - possibly two) Italian bicycles (the budget Maserati city bike was donated to a charity auction at a Cirque, and fake Colnagos are a "thing" and I may have had one that my son never took a shine to - so I sold it on), and as a cycling Anglophile, I may have an emotion-free perspective. I have far too many Raleighs (my wife's words, not mine). Their offerings in their heyday (sorry for all the parentheticals, but that's how I write... post ww-II to circa 1980) have quite an appeal to me. The marque was not without it's own bits of drama, having in varying degrees of benevolence (or opportunism) acquired and absorbed many other beloved marques... Rudge, Hercules, Robin Hood, Dunelt, Sun, Carlton, etc. Haunting other communities, it is clear that there is nostalgia and followings for each of those which were bought out. This said, there's also quite a lot of nostalgia for Raleigh also. I happen to have a rather "weak spot" for their lightweights from post WW-II to about 1980.

Sorry for the bit of digression. I do get nostalgia. It can take many forms. What I hope I've been illustrating is that, while this sale is actual news, I don't see it as an event to mourn. Celebrate the great bicycles that Ernesto and the family built. If you like the direction the new owners take, great. Support them. If not, they probably weren't meeting your hopes these last couple years/decades. Raise a glass to them if you like, but don't mourn. As long as the Earth takes laps around the sun, there's going to be change. If there were no change, would we even have gotten to hobby horses? Would the TdF have been raced on ordinaries? Would we even have any better appreciation for lightweight steel bicycles and have the nostalgia that many of us do for them.

I say, "well done" to the Colnago family, and wish them the best.

Last edited by USAZorro; 05-06-20 at 04:34 PM.
Likes For USAZorro:
Old 05-06-20, 09:10 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Ernesto gets to retire. The company still exists. The new owners may or may not be able to turn out good bikes.
In the end, I'd rather see this than see the company fold and the name end up on generic no-name bikes on an internet-only seller's website.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 05-06-20, 11:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
As a promotional offer with the purchase of ANY bike, the new company is including a free 'Barrel of Light Crude Oil', June delivery required, no exceptions permitted.
Old 05-07-20, 12:20 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
guessing this frag grenade tossed into the c & v world will not be received well.
Old 05-07-20, 12:34 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
If a bike made after 1980 has not been serviced regularly, I am reluctant to work on it. It comes as no surprise that this was when the mass-production British bike industry was sold off/collapsed. It's painfully obvious going cheaper doesn't work out in the long run for anyone. Sure there are a few wonderful bike makers remaining in the UK but their budget marque start at around $5000 and they make 100s per year rather than the millions of my parents generation.
Last week I stripped and rebuilt a 1947 Sunbeam. Some of its componentry had never been serviced. Sure it took some teddy to get some bits off but no damage - even the tiny 1/16 of an inch oil cap bolts came out whole.
I work with high end manufacturing plant - some of it costing tens of millions of dollars a piece. All of it is European or North American made (none of it British anymore I'm sad to say) but we are seeing some of the smaller bits of ancillary kit - still with the same brand but " Made for ……… in China " on the paperwork - creeping onto the manufacturing floor. .
More often than not it looks identical to the original but it is junk. No other word for it. Kit that lasted 30 years plus made BITD now struggles to go six months before bits start failing, sagging, jamming and even breaking. In my field that can be dangerous and this stuff is not cheap to buy. Experienced folks are retiring early out of genuine fear for the way things are going.
I know I've posted this link before but Colnago was always my favourite for performance with style. Watch this video if you want to know how good bicycles used to be made for reasonable cost. My favourite bit is when they paint the frame. I couldn't believe it - not a drip or dribble and after 70 plus years still a bastard to try and get off for a repaint.
Likes For Johno59:
Old 05-07-20, 01:42 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
And British motorcycles from BITD never leaked oil! Not even lots of it.
Old 05-07-20, 02:18 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Yeh right

Originally Posted by Wildwood
And British motorcycles from BITD never leaked oil! Not even lots of it.
My first paid job (as a skinny six year old) was changing the soak paper in drip trays beneath Jags, MGs, Rovers , Morris's, Enfields and Triumphs in a BMC showroom for brand new vehicles! Oil was cheap back then so maybe they didn't think it was necessary.
Old 05-07-20, 02:48 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
guessing this frag grenade tossed into the c & v world will not be received well.
You know, my favorite bikes have been the Colnagos I've owned and still own but this doesn't bother me in the slightest. As I get older I appreciate things as they were and as they are - but I don't worry so much about what they may become. If Colnago goes this, that or the other way, it doesn't affect the ride or appearance of my example(s).

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 05-07-20, 10:05 AM
repechage

You know, my favorite bikes have been the Colnagos I've owned and still own but this doesn't bother me in the slightest. As I get older I appreciate things as they were and as they are - but I don't worry so much about what they may become. If Colnago goes this, that or the other way, it doesn't affect the ride or appearance of my example(s).

DD
If there is a market, there will be new lugged steel Colnagos. Often a firm sells out, and the buyers are compelled to prove they still know the roots.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-08-20, 02:28 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Well at least it is private equity that bought it.
Ferrari has to answer to the shareholders now. And justify that $250M per year F-1 program
That's their marketing program. All of it. Seems fairly reasonable to me, although I suspect that the best marketing Ferrari ever did was having (or allowing) Christie Brinkley drive one in Vacation.

Originally Posted by USAZorro
What exactly does anyone feel has been lost here? Perhaps Italians have mixed feelings of wounded national pride and thankfulness that the Colnago family received substantial financial recognition for their decades of dedication to advancing cycles and cycling - but this is mere speculation.
You know, it's all those cliches about "soul" and "character" that are so difficult to put into words, but unmistakably apparent for those discerning enough to perceive it.

I guess that if they keep making a few models by hand in Italy, as they had been, then not much will really change. Some people thought Audi would ruin Ducati, but it didn't seem to have too much of an effect. They had already messed up with the Diavel...

Originally Posted by Johno59
... All of it is European or North American made (none of it British anymore I'm sad to say) but we are seeing some of the smaller bits of ancillary kit - still with the same brand but " Made for ……… in China " on the paperwork - creeping onto the manufacturing floor. .
More often than not it looks identical to the original but it is junk. No other word for it. Kit that lasted 30 years plus made BITD now struggles to go six months before bits start failing, sagging, jamming and even breaking. In my field that can be dangerous and this stuff is not cheap to buy. Experienced folks are retiring early out of genuine fear for the way things are going...
Thanks for the cool video.

Couldn't agree more with what you wrote (although don't say it too loud, otherwise people will start accusing you of things), and one hopes that younger generations will retain some ability to recognize and appreciate quality craftsmanship.

Well it might make the ones you own more valuable, so...
Old 05-08-20, 05:42 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
If there is a market, there will be new lugged steel Colnagos. Often a firm sells out, and the buyers are compelled to prove they still know the roots.
I still like Master Extra Lights, but they could likely snap that offering up quite a bit.

They should look at a Hampsten Strada Bianca and think about wider tire capability. More water bottle mounts and all day comfort would be important to me.

I don't care about discs, although many do.

Frankly, I would rather see them do a model or two that gives a nod to gravel or all road capabilities.

I know they weren't known for that, but I would be very interested in a Colnago that could handle 700x50s.

Do they want to sell bikes or be a history lesson?
Old 05-10-20, 04:38 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I suspect that the best marketing Ferrari ever did was having (or allowing) Christie Brinkley drive one in Vacation.
Near opening scene of Against All Odds- the 308 vs 911 on Sunset Blvd in LA. So, LA.
Who did not cringe when the Ferrari went into the pool in Ferris Bueller's Day off? (product splashment of a sort)

Or the real life meeting a a Lambo Countach I was following from the 110 onto the west bound 10, On the ten as if on cue was a Testarossa in the #1 lane-
They saw each other and it was like a drag strip christmas tree going off- They were Gone. No idea who lost, but no one crashed at least to Santa Monica.

Actually Colnago might need a stiff capital infusion to kickstart the brand.
As to gravel bikes, they did make cyclocross bikes over the years. Smaller max tire size but they should be able to adapt.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-10-20, 04:49 PM
iab

Near opening scene of Against All Odds- the 308 vs 911 on Sunset Blvd in LA. So, LA.
Who did not cringe when the Ferrari went into the pool in Ferris Bueller's Day off? (product splashment of a sort)

Or the real life meeting a a Lambo Countach I was following from the 110 onto the west bound 10, On the ten as if on cue was a Testarossa in the #1 lane-
They saw each other and it was like a drag strip christmas tree going off- They were Gone. No idea who lost, but no one crashed at least to Santa Monica.

As to gravel bikes, they did make cyclocross bikes over the years. Smaller max tire size but they should be able to adapt.
Gumball Rally, 1976 - Ferrari Daytona Spyder vs. 427 AC Cobra

And of course the Jaguar gag - "Beautiful car. I wish it ran."
Old 05-10-20, 04:54 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'm neither surprised nor saddened by the announcement. My respect for Colnago (both the man and the bicycle) started going downhill in the late 1970s and by the turn of the century, I considered Colnago the most over-rated of the high end Italian brands. Colnago seemed to be more interested in stroking his huge ego and promoting himself. He's the self-proclaimed greatest bicycle manufacturer and discoverer of cycling talent. The only bicycle manufacturer I've ever seen him give any credit too was De Rosa, and that was grudgingly. He shamelessly pursued free advertising by giving bicycles to high ranking religious figures, monarchs, head of state and celebrities. The flow of designs from his shop became prodigious and perplexing. It was like to throwing a handful of darts, hoping one would stick and become his next breakthrough. All the while, workmanship was getting worse. I wasn't surprised when production started to move to Taiwan and the latest announcement only warrants a big "Meh"!
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-10-20, 05:08 PM
iab

God forbid marketing is used to keep a business in business.
Old 05-10-20, 05:09 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
Ernesto gets to retire. The company still exists. The new owners may or may not be able to turn out good bikes.
In the end, I'd rather see this than see the company fold and the name end up on generic no-name bikes on an internet-only seller's website.
Really?
Old 05-10-20, 05:23 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Gumball Rally, 1976 - Ferrari Daytona Spyder vs. 427 AC Cobra

And of course the Jaguar gag - "Beautiful car. I wish it ran."
Great Movie!
Old 05-10-20, 07:00 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 122 Posts
I remember reading an article in a cycling magazine, many years ago, written by Robert Millar (now Philippa York) reflecting on his years in the pro-peleton. Within the article he stated the bicycle he and many other pro-peleton riders would love to ride was a red Colnago - for Robert it had to be red. I too had that dream from the 1970's and finally realised that dream in the 2000's. I've still got my red Colnago and it always reminds me of Robert Miller.

I had been collecting bikes since the 1970's and had only had one red bike which happened to be my first Italian bike, a red Daccordi. The Daccordi was my daily ride for a number of years but then I traded it on a beautiful Pinarello in the late 1980's. I really missed the Daccordi, still do, and went without a red bike until I found a beautiful second hand, mid-eighties, red (re-paint) Colnago Superissimo frame in the late 1990's. On first seeing the frame I remembered Robert Millar's article as well as the many times I had drooled all over the Colnago's in my local bike shop. It wasn't my first Colnago but it was the one that was (up until then) the most satisfying purchase.

How does it ride? I've come to appreciate Colnago's geometric formula for 'off the peg' framesets; they just work for me. Rideability is right up there with anything else I have ridden. They just fit me.

I have rectified my lack of 'red' within my bike collection as well as my once unobtainable 'thirst' for a Colnago bike. I now have a Colnago for every day of the week. Colnago's always represented the pinnacle of cycle desirability for me but were always out of reach when I was younger.

Now the news that Colnago company has been sold. I suppose I should have considered the prospect as Ernesto is getting on in years but it never crossed my mind. I suppose I thought Colnago, the man and the company would go on forever. How do I feel about this news? I really don't know? It's been about a week since I heard of the company's sale and I still can't mentally process this news. You see, for me Colnago more than just a bicycle brand, it's a feeling or state of being. It's a microcosm of all things Italian; brashness, flair, confidence, art and flavour with a splash of arrogance but with a background of real knowledge and experience.

Bicycle brands are always in a state of flux, they come and they go but as far as steel frames go, they can last forever. Colnago will always be there as long as the collective memory of those of us that care for the brand continues.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 05-11-20 at 05:05 PM.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 05-10-20, 07:23 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Sven Nys was an absolute beast riding a Colnago Prestige. With a Shimano drivetrain.

I would love to see a new lineup with GRX options. I'd really like to see a Colnago at Dirty Kanza or Almanzo 100.

Why not? If Specialized can figure it out so well with their new Diverge line-up, why shouldn't Colnago?
Old 05-11-20, 01:04 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

When I passed through the LA metro area not long ago, I saw several nice cars like these mentioned. One was a relatively new BMW, that looked a lot like a Lamborghini in the next lane. I meant to look up that BMW, intriguing, to say the least. 🤔
Old 05-11-20, 01:27 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,209 Times in 1,102 Posts
Colnago was my first Italian bike. I get the "cult" thing. Ernesto did a good marketing job, much like Harley Davidson. Are they the best in their respective markets, probably not. It is the consumer that makes the judgment call. Intel insn't/wasn't the best processor and Microsoft is not the best provider of O/S or apps.
So I guess I have an affinity for "not the best!" I don't have all of those items listed above, but most. The Colnago is on the wall, the Pinarello is ready ahd waiting to be ridden and the De Rosa is almost ready to launch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.