Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tips on selling a bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tips on selling a bike?

Old 07-13-20, 04:44 AM
WaffleHouse

Bikes: Fuji Traverse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Tips on selling a bike?

Hi All,

New to the forums, and I don't have an upgraded membership to ask the question in the "For Sale" forums if that's even the right place to put it.

So I need to sell my old bike to make room for the new one in the garage (it's a SMALL garage).

It's my first time trying to sell a bike, and aside from Craig's List, not sure if there are any other recommended places to list it? One user did recommend consignment, which I am going to look into.

Are there "standard protocols" when selling? I.e. write up a bill of sale for both parties listing the pertinent information like serial number? Ask for a copy of a drivers license? Don't let the interested party take the bike for a test ride without some sort of collateral? Cash only? Etc, etc, etc?

I am probably coming off as sounding paranoid, but I'm kind of freaked out as to how to go about selling something for a couple hundred dollars and want to avoid as many first timer mistakes as possible. Thank you for your feedback!

Any tips or helpful recommendations are appreciated!
Old 07-13-20, 04:58 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
What I do.
Only CL email contact to weed out spam etc
Then my landline for more serious inquiries. Finally give a cell # when the tire kickers are done.
I've been able to feel comfortable having them come to my residence for a transaction, but have and will meet in a neutral location (mall lot/PD station etc)
Time of COVID assure precautions are in place like disinfecting item, masks etc.
Good clear pictures in ad. Bike is washed & waxed, noting any new items or services (cables, pads, tires, bearings etc) and mine are always "needs nothing, ready to ride"
Old 07-13-20, 05:24 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
It is not like selling a car. Place ad, sell bike, hand bike over, clean up space in garage for new bike. It is pretty simple.

Just a warning Craigslist can be a cesspool. Between the scammers and low ball offers and the no shows, you will lose all faith in humanity. Follow the advice from dedhed, it is good. If you are on Facebook, list in Market Place. Here people tend to be a little nicer because they aren't anonymous.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-20, 05:39 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
1) The bike must be perfect. That means nothing frayed, everything clean, every adjustment spot on, aligned and reset to optimum proportion (stem versus saddle drop, seatpost height, saddle level), bar tape clean if not new. All bearings right. Tires clean, if not new. Rims true and clean. Chain spotless, if not new. Again, make certain that everything is working exactly right.

2) Excellent photos. Choose a plain neutral background. Shoot from the drive side. Clear shots drivetrain, brake calipers, lugs, hubs, rims, head badge, saddle. A few shots from non-drive side, too.

3) Craigslist will require the serial number in the listing.

4) Demand that the responses include a phone number and a name. No name or phone number, do not respond. If the response has a name and phone number, you can begin a dialog over Craigslist contact e-mails. Share your phone and address only with those who contact you earnestly.

5) Never negotiate price over the phone or via e-mail. I rarely if ever discount from my asking price. Currently, bikes are selling above previous market values, so price accordingly. It's a seller's market.

6) Meet where it's safe to test ride. Bring your own bike, too. Ride alongside the potential buyer and explain anything about which they have questions.
Old 07-13-20, 06:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I've sold two bikes this year on CL. I've kept it simple and have had no problems. Use plenty of pics and full description of size. Ask a reasonable price, firm and cash only. That will help weed out the flippers and lookie lou types. I also specified email or text only. I met the buyers at a nearby Walmart parking lot, easy for them to find and easy to keep an eye on them as they did a quick test ride. No bill of sale, no serial numbers, etc, etc.
Old 07-13-20, 07:09 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
It depends on what kind of bike you have and where you live.

The fancier the bike, and the less populated the area, the more I'd recommend eBay instead of craigslist or some other local listing.

Bikeflights does a great job with shipping in the U.S.

Be sure to list the size in the title, and list as many details as you have. No need for narrative descriptions about how it does sweet jumps.
Old 07-13-20, 07:22 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Unless I know the buyer I am not inviting them to my garage to see the bike and anything else I may have in it.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-13-20, 07:23 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I hate Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook but FB marketplace is the best place to sell your bike.
Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 07-13-20, 07:41 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
3) Craigslist will require the serial number in the listing.
I don't think that this is required. I just listed a bike on CL last night and I left that blank. No issues with post.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-13-20, 08:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by cb400bill
I don't think that this is required. I just listed a bike on CL last night and I left that blank. No issues with post.
Good clarification, Bill. There's a data field that can include the S/N, but CL will not prevent a listing if this field is blank. I see no reason why I wouldn't include it, as it can verify my claims as to the year of manufacture of the frame. Of course, with certain manufacturers, this isn't so.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-13-20, 08:15 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by bruce19
Unless I know the buyer I am not inviting them to my garage to see the bike and anything else I may have in it.

It depends on the vibe I'm getting from them. Either way I bring bike out from in the house rather than open overhead door.
Old 07-13-20, 08:15 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Lots of photos is a plus from my experience. I always include photos of the rebuild.
Old 07-13-20, 08:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

These are the kind of photos I'll include, especially if it is an unusual size, as this bike was a very small "Terry" knockoff. They also show that I indeed serviced it.
Old 07-13-20, 09:42 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
I put the item in front of my house window about 15min before they are due to show up and watch it. The buyer usually sees it when driving so they know they are at the right place and the sun helps kills off any germs. I also wipe down the commonly touched areas (grips, stem, top tube, saddle) before putting it out. I keep my garage closed unless it is a more expensive item $500+ and I have joined on test rides for the more expensive bikes. Once you find a real buyer, it's not hard to sell. It's the scammers and low ballers that make it annoying. Even if the ad says cash only, expect questions about venmo or paypal. Lately, I've been just happy if the buyer reads my full ad, there have been several instances where someone didn't read what I am selling. For example, disk brake only wheels doesn't mean that they work with rim brakes.

5) Never negotiate price over the phone or via e-mail. I rarely if ever discount from my asking price.
This probably comes down to your list price, but as a buyer I usually negotiate over the phone / email as the seller will have a strong advantage if I have already driven 30min or more to see a bike. I think the same when I sell and the buyer hasn't negotiated previously. I've had to explain this to sellers who say that they won't negotiate previously. 5-10min away, sure I'll wait and negotiate in person.
Likes For katsup:
Old 07-13-20, 09:55 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by katsup
This probably comes down to your list price, but as a buyer I usually negotiate over the phone / email as the seller will have a strong advantage if I have already driven 30min or more to see a bike...
Fair enough. I set prices where I intend to sell. If a prospective buyer starts out by negotiating down, I know that I won't be selling to him or her. Regardless or drive distance or any other mitigating circumstance, my answer is "no". This seems to work out fine.

If I'm buying, money doesn't matter that much to me. So, I'll willingly pay a fair price. I recently gave $100 to a fellow who had intended to give the bike to me for free, as I felt that he could/should have at least asked for money.

I will be prepared to walk away from a purchase if it isn't exactly what I thought that it was from the description or photos, and I explain why to the seller. If he comes back with "well, I want to sell it today. what will you offer?", then all bets are off. I then take into account the costs to bring the bike to where I had believed it was, and offer accordingly. Often, they say no, and I'm good with that. But I don't initiate...
Old 07-13-20, 10:13 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
I've been using Nextdoor before I go to craigslist. You can choose how wide of an area you want to sell in. Little less random than Facebook and I've never received spam.
Old 07-13-20, 10:20 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
"Tips on selling a bike?"

Be realistic on the price.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-13-20, 03:43 PM
WaffleHouse

Bikes: Fuji Traverse

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for your input, everybody. There's some great information here and is helping me feel a whole lot more confident in this process!
Old 07-13-20, 06:28 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
1) The bike must be perfect. That means nothing frayed, everything clean, every adjustment spot on, aligned and reset to optimum proportion (stem versus saddle drop, seatpost height, saddle level), bar tape clean if not new. All bearings right. Tires clean, if not new. Rims true and clean. Chain spotless, if not new. Again, make certain that everything is working exactly right.
This one really made me laugh, especially the perfect part on Craigslist. I realize that the if you are selling a high end bike you need to do this. But there is no way I be selling anything expensive on Craigslist.

Our son likes OfferUp, but he says that is getting more like Craigslist. He usually meets at a large parking lot rather than a residence.

Right now bikes are so scarce that you can sell almost anything decent pretty quickly.

If it is a desirable bike, you might find an LBS that sells on consignment, especially if they don’t have much inventory. I’ve sold a few surfboards on consignment as it is even more sketchy with that group..

John
Old 07-13-20, 07:24 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
This one really made me laugh, especially the perfect part on Craigslist. I realize that the if you are selling a high end bike you need to do this...
Right now bikes are so scarce that you can sell almost anything decent pretty quickly.
Three thoughts: first, I only touch good bikes, and don't waste time on any bike that's not an excellent rider; second, I treat each bike the same, making it as close to showroom perfect as practical; third, the principle of leverage applies as well to bikes as it does to real estate. Higher end products yield greater return. But you know all of this...
Old 07-13-20, 07:29 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Facebook has very good cycling group pages. List it there.
Old 07-13-20, 07:44 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
Three thoughts: first, I only touch good bikes, and don't waste time on any bike that's not an excellent rider; second, I treat each bike the same, making it as close to showroom perfect as practical; third, the principle of leverage applies as well to bikes as it does to real estate. Higher end products yield greater return. But you know all of this...
Nope.

John
Old 07-13-20, 07:45 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
Here:

Say your used bike is reasonably worth $1,000. Here's how you post on Craiglist to lower your final bike sale price, and by how much:
  • Only pictures of the non-drive side of the bike: subtract $400
  • Limited number of blurry pictures: subtract $400
  • Vague description that does not include list of major components: subtract $300
  • No listing of size: subtract $300
  • Use of all CAPS or all lower case run-on text. This indicates that posting was made by a 14 year old on a smart phone: Subtract $200
  • Seller indicates illiteracy through the inclusion of words such as: 'breaks', 'peddles' or 'helmut': Subtract $50 per use.
  • Highlighting how the bike comes with an irrelevant and likely worthless accessory such as a lock or helmut. This indicates that the seller is unclear as to what constitutes relative value. Plus we don't want your head lice, or have to spend an hour hacksawing off of your old lock: Subtract $50.
  • Indicating that the bike was made by Shimano: Subtract $500.
  • Use of exclamation marks or irrelevant juvenile expletives such as: "Awesome!!!": Subtract $50 per use.

Dave Mayer is online now Report Post
Edit
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 07-13-20, 08:56 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I sold a bike on CL recently and it was painless. It is a sellers market right now. You have to weed out the SPAM/fraudulent messages. CL is a wait game, the right buyer may come along but you will have to be patient.
Old 07-14-20, 06:05 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 09-18-23 at 01:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.