Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Any flat Century rides in the Bay Area?

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 10:22 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

I have been doing half century rides regularly lately. Mostly in the Peninsula. Canada Rd, Portola Rd, Crystal Springs, etc.. I am wondering if the South Bay has any century rides that are relatively flat. I love hills, but I don't think I could do my first century with massive hills. There's a 30 mile trail Coyote Creek Trail in San Jose which is mostly flat. I wouldn't mind adding that part to a century ride if possible. Once you're on the south side of Coyote Creek Trail, is there a way to add in a bunch of miles to Morgan Hill or Gilroy and beyond? What are the primary cycling roads in Morgan Hill and Gilroy?

Also I heard there is a sanctioned ride in San Jose that is 100 miles. The Tiera Bella. Do people have to wait for that event or can they just do it on their own? What's the difference?
Old 07-27-20, 11:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Hmmmm. It's not too hard to put together 60 or so miles without any big climbs, but getting up to 100 is harder, depending on where you start. From San Mateo, you can add 16 miles just getting to Canada Road and back.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-27-20, 12:56 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Drive to Tracy. Do some loop that involves Modesto, Manteca, and a barrel of sunsreen.

Bart to Pittsburg, Ride via Rio Vista to Stockton and via Hwy 4 back to Pittsburg.

Drive up to Sac. Ride 50 miles, turn around and ride back. Or ride 25 miles, turn 90 degrees, repeat x3.

Warning; Hills may sometimes be miserable, but they are a lot more fun that getting stuck in some headwind that won't relent for 12 miles.
Old 07-27-20, 08:31 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Also I heard there is a sanctioned ride in San Jose that is 100 miles. The Tiera Bella. Do people have to wait for that event or can they just do it on their own? What's the difference?
Tierra Bella Century route map attached. Not Flat. In particular, the Metcalf Mauler is a rather well known leg-buster.

Old 07-31-20, 12:16 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by genejockey
Hmmmm. It's not too hard to put together 60 or so miles without any big climbs, but getting up to 100 is harder, depending on where you start. From San Mateo, you can add 16 miles just getting to Canada Road and back.

Yea. 16 miles on Canada Rd. There is a 55 mile route or so in that area. Start from Northern part of San Andreas Trail, then Skyline to Crystal Springs Trail, then Skyline to Canada Rd. Then Home Mountain Rd, Portola Rd and Alpine Road in Portola Valley and back. That's about 55 miles, but hard to add more to that without detours.
Old 07-31-20, 12:17 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Tierra Bella Century route map attached. Not Flat. In particular, the Metcalf Mauler is a rather well known leg-buster.

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 07-31-20, 09:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Yea. 16 miles on Canada Rd. There is a 55 mile route or so in that area. Start from Northern part of San Andreas Trail, then Skyline to Crystal Springs Trail, then Skyline to Canada Rd. Then Home Mountain Rd, Portola Rd and Alpine Road in Portola Valley and back. That's about 55 miles, but hard to add more to that without detours.
Well, there's the way Luca and Carlo Simonetti used to take the PenVelo Recreational/Century ride on Saturdays -

From Portola and Alpine, take Alpine to Arastradero, then left on Page Mill and right to get back on Arastradero. Right on Purissima, Right on Robleda, left on Elena, which will eventually merge into El Monte, then right onto Summerhill, right onto Magedalena, left onto Hillview, which turns into Loyola (I think), then right on Granger before you get to Foothill, go down a few blocks to, I think, Arboretum, turn left and across Foothill at a light. Then get onto Foothill and just take that back up through Sunnyvale and Palo Alto to 84, take that back to Canada and back up. From the North end of the San Andreas Trail and back, that should be about 67 miles.

I used to ride this every week, starting from San Mateo, but that was almost 2 decades ago, and I was following the Simonettis!

You can also turn right onto Page Mill and climb up to Altamont and take that to El Monte, but as I recall there's a nasty, decreasing radius off camber turn on Altamont that can take you by surprise, and I know a guy who wiped out there on a group ride.

Old 07-31-20, 09:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Anyway, the point is that you can add miles by going down Alpine instead of turning back. Hard to get to 100 without adding SOME climbing, but you can get to 70 or so.

Old 08-02-20, 12:01 PM
DreamRider85

Well, there's the way Luca and Carlo Simonetti used to take the PenVelo Recreational/Century ride on Saturdays -

From Portola and Alpine, take Alpine to Arastradero, then left on Page Mill and right to get back on Arastradero. Right on Purissima, Right on Robleda, left on Elena, which will eventually merge into El Monte, then right onto Summerhill, right onto Magedalena, left onto Hillview, which turns into Loyola (I think), then right on Granger before you get to Foothill, go down a few blocks to, I think, Arboretum, turn left and across Foothill at a light. Then get onto Foothill and just take that back up through Sunnyvale and Palo Alto to 84, take that back to Canada and back up. From the North end of the San Andreas Trail and back, that should be about 67 miles.

I used to ride this every week, starting from San Mateo, but that was almost 2 decades ago, and I was following the Simonettis!

You can also turn right onto Page Mill and climb up to Altamont and take that to El Monte, but as I recall there's a nasty, decreasing radius off camber turn on Altamont that can take you by surprise, and I know a guy who wiped out there on a group ride.

Wow that sounds like a good route. I'm looking into this. What's your opinion on 84 though? I've heard others say it's not very safe. Is this part of it bad or is it okay?
Old 08-02-20, 02:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Wow that sounds like a good route. I'm looking into this. What's your opinion on 84 though? I've heard others say it's not very safe. Is this part of it bad or is it okay?
You couldn't pay me to take 84 from Portola up to Skyline. Too much car traffic to be climbing at 6-9 mph. The only thing worse would be 92 to Skyline.

BUT, the other way, from Skyline down to Portola, it's a fast, semi-technical descent. The speed differential with cars is a lot smaller - often you'll find THEY slow YOU down! It's my preferred route down from Skyline.

From Skylonda to the Pacific, 84 starts out a nice, quick, but not blindingly fast descent, but the last - what, 4 miles?- can be a mind-numbing slog into the wind. You just have to put your head down and keep going.

From the Pacific to Skylonda, it's not terrible. It's wide enough that if you're not skittish the cars won't bother you much, and it's not even bottom-gear steep for a lot of it.

The best way to get up to Skyline is probably Old La Honda. It's tough if you don't climb much, but there's not much car traffic and I think it's the lowest of the passes after 84. It's shaded the whole way, which is nice. Start out gentle, though, because there's some steep stuff the last mile. Oh, and the insides or right-hand turns are THE STEEPEST way take that turn, so you might flare a little wide, BUT keep your ears open for descending freewheels!

Old 08-03-20, 08:36 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
If you’re interested in doing a flat, scenic and SAFE century a bit farther from the Bay Area I can tell you about a nice one near Truckee.
Old 08-04-20, 02:42 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
https://www.strava.com/routes/2725830969967913752

I have not done it, but someone on my feed did.. seems pretty flat to me with a little of 2k of climbing and over 110mi.
I copied his ride and made it a public route.

Last edited by spdntrxi; 08-04-20 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 07:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The biggest problem I can see is getting from San Francisco, through Brisbane, South City, San Bruno and Millbrae, down to Burlingame. It's hard to find a road through there that's cyclist friendly, and most of the overpasses going over 101 are loaded with cars, either coming off or going onto the Freeway.

Old 08-07-20, 12:02 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi

I have not done it, but someone on my feed did.. seems pretty flat to me with a little of 2k of climbing and over 110mi.
This part that goes across the SFO runway and over the bay probably needs some detail added

I have no idea what the streets are like, but maybe consider one of the SF2G routes, like the Bayway route (out and back) or any of the variations on that page, adding extra at either end such as going over the Golden Gate, or getting to and from home to make it a door to door ride.

Or check Ride With GPS. Not only is there the SF2G Byway, but there's also the Tierra Bella Century, and the easier version.

Last edited by Geekage; 08-07-20 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-07-20, 08:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Geekage
This part that goes across the SFO runway and over the bay probably needs some detail added

I have no idea what the streets are like, but maybe consider one of the SF2G routes, like the Bayway route (out and back) or any of the variations on that page, adding extra at either end such as going over the Golden Gate, or getting to and from home to make it a door to door ride.

Or check Ride With GPS. Not only is there the SF2G Byway, but there's also the Tierra Bella Century, and the easier version.
Really busy. Loaded with big trucks, double right turn lanes, off ramps, etc. Basically Brisbane to Burlingame the bay side is just really not good for cycling. If I were coming across the Golden Gate into SF, I'd consider just going through the Presidio and onto the Great Highway, taking that along the beach to Sloat, following that to Skyline, and taking that to San Bruno to get on the San Andreas trail, and that puts you on the route the OP described. With my additions, you get all the way down to Sunnyvale. with mostly rolling, not deadly climbs.

Old 08-07-20, 01:52 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Really busy. Loaded with big trucks, double right turn lanes, off ramps, etc. Basically Brisbane to Burlingame the bay side is just really not good for cycling. If I were coming across the Golden Gate into SF, I'd consider just going through the Presidio and onto the Great Highway, taking that along the beach to Sloat, following that to Skyline, and taking that to San Bruno to get on the San Andreas trail, and that puts you on the route the OP described. With my additions, you get all the way down to Sunnyvale. with mostly rolling, not deadly climbs.
The SF2G site claims the Bayway is "lowish traffic" but maybe that applies to an early morning commute.

As for getting out of the west side of SF, no need to take Sloat, Great Highway intersects Skyline just south of the zoo, though the bike lane does get a bit narrow, especially with sand drifts.

Skyline Blvd around Hwy 1 is a bit of a pain since it briefly turns into a freeway, albeit with bicycle access. I prefer to jog over one block west to Skyline Dr in Westlake, east into Gateway Dr under Hwy 1, then back onto Skyline Blvd at Hickey. Then, as mentioned, San Andreas Trail, Sawyer Camp Trail, Skyline, 92, Cañada, Woodside, etc.

That's about 6000-6500 feet if you make a century of it, but I think I might prefer it over the lower "easy" Tierra Bella century since it'll usually be milder weather in San Francisco and maybe even down to Cañada Rd. Just remember that the water temple on Cañada closes early, but there are open water fountains on Saywer Camp Trail, and of course in Woodside.
Old 08-07-20, 02:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The SF2G site claims the Bayway is "lowish traffic" but maybe that applies to an early morning commute.

As for getting out of the west side of SF, no need to take Sloat, Great Highway intersects Skyline just south of the zoo, though the bike lane does get a bit narrow, especially with sand drifts.
Oh, that's right! I'd forgotten that since moving farther South 26 years ago.

Skyline Blvd around Hwy 1 is a bit of a pain since it briefly turns into a freeway, albeit with bicycle access. I prefer to jog over one block west to Skyline Dr in Westlake, east into Gateway Dr under Hwy 1, then back onto Skyline Blvd at Hickey. Then, as mentioned, San Andreas Trail, Sawyer Camp Trail, Skyline, 92, Cañada, Woodside, etc.

That's about 6000-6500 feet if you make a century of it, but I think I might prefer it over the lower "easy" Tierra Bella century since it'll usually be milder weather in San Francisco and maybe even down to Cañada Rd. Just remember that the water temple on Cañada closes early, but there are open water fountains on Saywer Camp Trail, and of course in Woodside.
Yes, I have used the spigot at Roberts Market many a time. I prefer that for filling bottles, because the water is colder and comes out a LOT faster than the fountain at the Water Temple.

Old 08-07-20, 02:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I would not want to ride a bike on that route from Millbrae Ave to Gateway. I've driven there, and it's my idea of hell. Not as bad as trying to get past 280 on Page Mill, but WAY too many times when you need to avoid right turn lanes (for example). Plus too many trucks.

Old 08-08-20, 06:52 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by spdntrxi

when I click the link I don’t see the route. Oh now I do in my safari.
Old 08-08-20, 06:54 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
If you’re interested in doing a flat, scenic and SAFE century a bit farther from the Bay Area I can tell you about a nice one near Truckee.
I’m interested
Old 08-08-20, 10:46 PM
DreamRider85

The biggest problem I can see is getting from San Francisco, through Brisbane, South City, San Bruno and Millbrae, down to Burlingame. It's hard to find a road through there that's cyclist friendly, and most of the overpasses going over 101 are loaded with cars, either coming off or going onto the Freeway.

I wish that wasn't the case. Is there any safe way to get to San Francisco biking? I've never really rode in San Francisco, just the suburbs.
Old 08-08-20, 10:53 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I’m interested
I’m putting together a small group of folks who will be riding a 50 mile loop (x2) through beautiful ranch country in the Sierra Valley probably before October. The route is predominantly flat, wide shoulders and very little traffic in most parts. My gf will be the support vehicle and she’s also a nurse.
The route starts in Sierraville traveling on 49 to Sattley, you then head north for about 10 miles on the Sattley cut off road which puts you on 70. You take 70 East towards Reno and turn right (south) on 49 taking you back to Sierraville. On the second lap you stop in Loyalton ( about 10 miles before Sierraville) for a total of approximately 104 miles.
you are welcome to join if you like 😀
Old 08-08-20, 11:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I wish that wasn't the case. Is there any safe way to get to San Francisco biking? I've never really rode in San Francisco, just the suburbs.
If Skyline is the safest way, and it may well be, I'd say...no.

Old 08-09-20, 03:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I went up Old La Honda, and down 84 from Skylonda to Woodside today. First observation - riding on flats and rollers, even with a couple 5-10 minute 4 or 5% hills is not really enough to train for 3 miles of 8% average. It just isn't. I have ridden OLH dozens of times, but not in the last 6 years (too chicken, I guess), and I made THE rookie mistake - went out too fast and blew up. Had to stop and get re-passed by all the people I'd blown by so confidently on the lower part of the hill. THAT was embarrassing! At least I took my helmet off so they could see I'm an old guy. Maybe they took pity?

Anyhow, OLH is still a good climb. It's a bit busier, especially with descenders - used to be nobody went DOWN OLH, because the surface was horrible and it's steep. The surface is a lot better now. I can't wait to try again next week!

Descending 84 was just like I remembered - pretty wide lane, a few hairpins but mostly sweepers, good surface - EXCEPT on the inside of one of those hairpins. This was my first time going down with disc brakes, and WOW, does that make a difference!!!! I could take off exactly the amount of speed I wanted with two fingers on each lever. Highly recommended!!

Old 08-09-20, 09:52 PM
DreamRider85

I did the southern part of this ride today starting Home Mountain Rd. Got lost a couple times by turning the wrong direction but then found my way. I should have it memorized by next time. That was a very interesting route extension and I’m glad I now have it in my routes! Would have never known if you didn’t tell me.

The Simonettis were able to turn this into a century?

Last edited by DreamRider85; 08-09-20 at 11:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.