Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need a bike computer

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need a bike computer

Old 08-05-20, 06:47 PM
kajero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a bike computer

My Garmin 810 bit the dust. It's bee repaired twice and I think It is time to replace it. I don't need all the extra bells and whistles on the 800. Right now I am looking at the Garmin 520 Plus

I want to be able to track distance, speed, average speed, as well as time ridden and time elapsed. I also would like to upload my activities like I was able to do with my defunct Garmin.

I am looking for recommendations. I don't have to stick with Garmin Brand.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-20, 07:23 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I was in a similar position a few years ago and bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I would do it again.
Old 08-05-20, 07:32 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I recommend the new (?) Garmin Explore. I don't have personal knowledge of it but my GF likes hers. Pairs with the cadence sensor and the Varia radar blinky. All the data readouts except for the current temperature. My old Garmin Edge Touring has the temperature sensor but it is very sensitive to direct sunlight. Reads as hot as it feels.
Old 08-05-20, 08:16 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I was in a similar position a few years ago and bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I would do it again.
I have the same. It does what I need it to do although the screen seems a little small.
Old 08-05-20, 08:18 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I've really liked my Lezyne Super Pro. Garmin had priced themselves out of my comfort zone when my previous Garmin broke. I actually stretched a little for the Super Pro. Lezyne has several models below that in cost and some below $100, as well as at least one with more features/larger display.
Old 08-05-20, 09:09 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
+1 Wahoo Bolt
My first GPS bike computer. I move it between my bike and my trainer, no issues.

Barry
Old 08-06-20, 11:50 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by kajero
My Garmin 810 bit the dust. It's bee repaired twice and I think It is time to replace it. I don't need all the extra bells and whistles on the 800. Right now I am looking at the Garmin 520 Plus

I want to be able to track distance, speed, average speed, as well as time ridden and time elapsed. I also would like to upload my activities like I was able to do with my defunct Garmin.

I am looking for recommendations. I don't have to stick with Garmin Brand.

Thanks.
For zero bells and whistled, the Edge 130 works great. Doesn't synch with all other devices, worthless on a trainer, but easy to program and use on multiple bikes.
Old 08-06-20, 11:53 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What's the cheapest computer that will talk to an Ant+ powermeter? (asking for a friend whose Garmin 500 is probably going to die one of these days).
Old 08-06-20, 12:09 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Another jote for the Wahoo bolt. I would like the screen a bit larger but the function and data are all good.
Frank.
Old 08-06-20, 12:12 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by kajero

Thanks.
Very recently upgraded from Garmin Edge 200 to an Edge 520 Plus, primarily to take advantage of mapping/navigation/course features. 520 Plus is overkill for your stated purposes. The no-longer-in-production 200 or a current basic model would take care of what you mention.
Old 08-06-20, 01:12 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I recommend the new (?) Garmin Explore. .
Ditto:

Generally about $249, so about $20-$30 more than a Bolt. It seems to be a rock solid unit, larger than the 520/820/Bolt and Roam. uses a touch screen, which is the better way to deal with maps. The larger screen comes in handy when navigating. Doesn't have the fitness/training bells and whistles of the pricier Garmins.
Old 08-06-20, 01:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
$20 & you get something that stays on the bike converts a magnetic pulse as your wheel goes around.
multiplied by the wheel size you input, to give you speed & distance.. 1 battery good for a year..
Old 08-06-20, 02:26 PM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by fietsbob
$20 & you get something that stays on the bike converts a magnetic pulse as your wheel goes around.
multiplied by the wheel size you input, to give you speed & distance.. 1 battery good for a year..
I've seen those at the local hardware store on sale for $7.50. If I didn't already have two almost like them in a drawer, I would have been sorely tempted.
Old 08-06-20, 02:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Whatever you get, don't just assume it will connect to any sensor you may currently use or might want to use in the near future. Lower end Garmin's may not give you all the ability to connect and use things to their fullest. Power meters to simple cadence sensors, some lower models of the edge don't handle everything. The 520+ will handle most anything sensor wise though.

If you are looking at a Edge 520+, why wouldn't you just get a 530? 530 has a faster processor and better wireless capability. I know it's a bit more money, to me the extra speed is worth it and might make it last you longer before it dates itself.
Old 08-06-20, 02:29 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
What's the cheapest computer that will talk to an Ant+ powermeter? (asking for a friend whose Garmin 500 is probably going to die one of these days).
Do any of there talk to an ANT+ POWER METER as requested?

Because if a $7.50 hardware store device does, I can sell me Bolt and buy a bunch of them.
And still have beer money left over!

Barry
Old 08-06-20, 02:53 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Interestingly, do any of you follow GCN's YouTube channel? They are having as much fun in this bike crazed pandemic as the guys on Craiglist flipping bikes (except the racing coverage). Anyways, they recently had a video about bike computer or mounted cell phone and where do people stand on the question? Of course serious bikers shun the idea of a phone mounted on the bike but lots of people have that setup (myself included). I already pay for the phone so I might as well use it on my rides to track data through Strava.

Of course on my old steele bike I still use the Vetta C300 bike computer to track all the important data. Still can't figure out how to upload to Strava though.

Old 08-06-20, 03:08 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2

Because if a $7.50 hardware store device does, I can sell me Bolt and buy a bunch of them.

Barry
The Edge Explore does not give you power functions, AFAIK. So I would not expect an ANT+ meter to work.
Old 08-06-20, 04:31 PM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by Barry2

Barry
Nah, it's only good for current and maybe average speed, odometer and trip mileage, time the bike was moving. What is a power meter? Is that like a Strava thing? I put out some ANT poison this morning, don't want them.
Edit: if you want connected connectivity, gotta spend money.
Old 08-06-20, 05:00 PM
jandnvh

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Wahoo Bolt. Can’t recommend it to anyone else. It worked fine until about 6 weeks ago when the head unit and hrm stopped communicating. I have tried all the suggested remedies, cannot get it to work. Ready to look for something else.
Old 08-07-20, 12:42 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Nobody mentioned XOSS, I just bought it but didn't put it to test yet. There is one satisfied user though on this thread here on post #68 :
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...my-mind-3.html

I bought XOSS G+ computer bundled with one sensor and armband for heart rate, ordered second sensor to complete the package. Each sensor can be configured for either cadence or speed.
Old 08-07-20, 01:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Nah, it's only good for current and maybe average speed, odometer and trip mileage, time the bike was moving. What is a power meter? Is that like a Strava thing? I put out some ANT poison this morning, don't want them.
Edit: if you want connected connectivity, gotta spend money.
ANT (Adaptive Network Topology[1]) is a proprietary (but open access) multicastwireless sensor network technology designed and marketed by ANT Wireless (a division of Garmin Canada).[2]

A powermeter does what it says on the tin: it measures power.
Old 08-07-20, 01:28 PM
Dave9040

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Nobody mentioned XOSS, I just bought it but didn't put it to test yet. There is one satisfied user though on this thread here on post #68 :
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...my-mind-3.html

I bought XOSS G+ computer bundled with one sensor and armband for heart rate, ordered second sensor to complete the package. Each sensor can be configured for either cadence or speed.
I have a XOSS and I am mostly satisfied with it. It displays speed, distance, time, cadence and heart rate. It records all that data.
This is my first year back on my bike in 8 years. Therefore, I like that it has a heart rate alarm built in to let me know when I am approaching my max.

Some of the negatives:
It is VERY slow to sync to my phone via their app.
It displays in miles but the app only shows kilometers. I sync the XOSS data to Strava and Strava converts it to miles.
I have to power the unit off and then back on before it will sync to the app. There might be another way, I have not researched it.

I have about 40 rides on it. I will not say it has been flawless. Twice it did not sync correctly to GPS and the data was way off. I rebooted it and all was good.
When I bought it I was looking a budget computer. I think the XOSS is well worth the price I paid for it.
Likes For Dave9040:
Old 08-14-20, 04:34 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
+1 Wahoo Bolt.
Old 08-14-20, 04:55 PM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I just use an old cell phone and Polar App that automatically syncs with Strave.
Old 08-15-20, 01:34 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Switched to an Elemnt Bolt about 3 years ago or so. Never had any issues with it but, it's started having issues connecting to my phone and my hear rate monitor.....not sure what the deal is

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.