Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Handlebar advice

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Handlebar advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 02:53 PM
JAE75

Bikes: Trek 920

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Handlebar advice

Hi all! I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice or suggestions. I have a Trek 920, which I love for the type of riding I do (touring and mixed-surface riding), but the stem is a bit long. I'd like a bit more control on gravel and trails, and a slightly more upright position (touring is just as much about seeing as it is riding!). I still prefer drops, but I'm wondering if sweeping drops and a shorter stem would be a good mod for the 920. If so, does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks!
Old 08-23-20, 05:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6233 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 3,335 Posts
Maybe. But you need to try and simulate where you'd be on them in all the different hand positions you use.

I've generally been able to come up with pics or drawings with detailed dimensions of the bars I've been interested in buying by looking at the bar manufacturers site and doing searches on it and looking through all the doc's they publish for them. Sometimes I've found good info on other sites by googling.

Mostly you just need to know how much drop they have from top to bottom and how far out front of the top horizontal part they go. Then you can measure and imagine how you will feel in those different positions. If you are good at CAD or 3D drawings on a computer, then that can help you imagine too.
Old 08-23-20, 05:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
& maybe a stem raiser if the fork is too short..
Old 08-24-20, 07:17 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
tools that might be helpful:
Whatbars.com this is not exhaustive, but it has a LOT of handlebars listed for comparison
stem comparison tool this will show you exactly what differences will occur if you swap one stem with another stem. unfortunately, the stack height of most stems is hard to find without having the stem in your hand to measure but you can still get a good idea with this tool
Bikepacking guide to flared drop bars the guides on this site are usually close to exhaustive
The Path Less Pedaled prolific YouTuber who focuses on more slow-paced bikepacking and gravel road exploration type of riding

there are also a few handlebars on the market that have a raised top section, so you can make the handlebar taller overall without changing much on the stem. Surly Truck Stop, Ritchey Ergomax, Specialized Hover, Soma Condor, etc.
Old 08-24-20, 07:10 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by JAE75
Hi all! I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice or suggestions. I have a Trek 920, which I love for the type of riding I do (touring and mixed-surface riding), but the stem is a bit long. I'd like a bit more control on gravel and trails, and a slightly more upright position (touring is just as much about seeing as it is riding!). I still prefer drops, but I'm wondering if sweeping drops and a shorter stem would be a good mod for the 920. If so, does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks!
Regarding the stem being a bit long, think about how much further back you'd like your hands to be at the shifters and in the drops. (You could go either a shorter stem to suit, or a shorter-reach drop bar if not too far back).

As mentioned, a riser bar would allow you to run a stem that doesn't have a tall rise.

Ritchey WCS model? is 10mm rise.
Hover bar is 15mm.
Control Tech is 20mm.
Condor 2 is 50mm.

If its more control in the drops you're chasing, then look at the flared gravel bars.

Look up the specs of, or measure yourself the reach, drop (and width) of your current bars. Compare those numbers against anything you look at.
Old 08-24-20, 07:57 PM
JAE75

Bikes: Trek 920

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!