Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

GORTEX for Cycling? Suggestions for cycling jackets.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 08:15 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Is GORTEX and good material for a cycling jacket? Is it breathable enough for the average cyclist that is not really hammering down?

Suggestions for a cycling jackets?
Old 09-01-20, 08:23 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
It's actually really steamy in goretex. Have tried it a couple times and too hot. Would rather just get wet or not go
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-01-20, 09:17 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
The GORETEX Shakedry jackets are absolutely amazing virtually waterproof and breath just like a regular wind shell. Can not recommend enough.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-01-20, 09:50 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
The GORETEX Shakedry jackets are absolutely amazing virtually waterproof and breath just like a regular wind shell. Can not recommend enough.
I have a Gore C7 Shakedry Stretch jacket that has been a gamechanger in the wet. I would say it breathes much better than any old regular wind shell.
Old 09-01-20, 10:17 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I have tried GoreTex and many of the other brands and not one ever breathed enough where I was not soaked after a MTB ride.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 09-02-20, 02:46 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I too generally find Gore-Tex not ventilating enough.
If it rainds hard enough, you eventually face the choice wet-from-outside and cold, or clammy from inside and warm(er).
GT will work for the latter.
Otherwise, for semi-miserable weather I prefer jackets with a high-resistance front panel and a more breathable back panel.
Old 09-02-20, 04:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
100% waterproof and 100% breathable at the same time is a fantasy. There is no such thing out there. Gore-Tex and other similar fabrics are only good for low intensity activities. Anything higher intensity and those fabrics become a sweat bath.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-02-20, 05:59 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
What sort of temps are we talking about? 90 and rainy is not something to use goretex or any rain jacket for. 50 and rainy? The Gore-Tex jacket will be great. The one thing that people tend to forgot is that you need to wash a gore tex jacket. As the pores get filled with dirt, dust and other particles, they won't breath as well.
Old 09-02-20, 06:29 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
To each his own. I've tried them in 40 degree weather, still too hot. Might be good for running errand here or there but 2-3 hours on the bike and you will be taking it off
Old 09-02-20, 07:48 AM
wilson_smyth

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Cant do much better than columbia OutDry. Its quite breathable, at least as breathable as goretex and IMO a little better, and the waterproof layer is on the outside so there is zero risk of wetout which is the major downside of goretex or any material that has a layer outside the waterproof layer. Outdry is also exceptionally light as it can literally be a waterproof layer made into a jacket, which also helps with reducing sweating.

Its also very very durable.
Old 09-02-20, 08:11 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
To each his own. I've tried them in 40 degree weather, still too hot. Might be good for running errand here or there but 2-3 hours on the bike and you will be taking it off
Spent hours in them. Actually last years Hincapie ride, I had my bright red gore tex jacket and it honestly, saved me.

The Gore riding gear is huge in Europe as it works great in those conditions. Also, a Gore jacket does not have a water proof layer added, the Gore layer is the water proof layer. All their patent was is the ability to make variable pore sizes. So they can make a pore that allows air to escape (small particle) but won't allow a water particle to pass (too large).

Also you have to keep in mind that there are two major types of Gore Jackets. Certain jackets, the "Wind Stopper stuff, will actually block wind so the layer beneath the Gore layer will get wet from sweat and won't dry as the Gore layer is blocking it.

That stuff should be used to keep warm and that is about it. Use regular Gore stuff to keep dry.
Old 09-02-20, 10:22 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I do not have any water resistant cycling clothing. I don't see the point. If I'm not getting wet from the outside in, then I'll certainly get wet from the inside out. Even while cycling in the teens (°F) my base layer is at least damp, and it's usually fairly wet. If getting getting chilled due to evaporation of moisture is a risk, then I'll wear insulating clothing that retains heat when wet (wool) and a wind barrier.

IME, even backpacking pushes "breathable" fabrics to the limit, especially in humid weather. I don't claim to have tried everything, but personally I've never worn a breathable synthetic that will repel rain and wind and not act as a sweatbox during aerobic activities. YMMV.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 09-02-20, 10:26 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
I specified the Shakedry material as amazing and the difference is night and day from standard GORETEX with regards to breathability and packability. But don't expect it to be cheap or durable.
Old 09-02-20, 10:30 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I very much doubt that most have tried Shakedry, especially since nearly all the replies seem to think Gore-Tex is a single type of fabric. Gore-Tex is a brand that makes different waterproof breathable grades of fabric. Shakedry is just the membrane without the other fabric layers and DWR used in 3, 2, and 2.5 layer systems that fail over time. It's the shiznit.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-02-20, 10:34 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by velopig
I specified the Shakedry material as amazing and the difference is night and day from standard GORETEX with regards to breathability and packability. But don't expect it to be cheap or durable.
Shakedry is the thinnest layer of Gore-tex and nothing else. Packable and form fitting. Much better in terms of fitting and wicking compared to my "old" gore tex jacket.
Old 09-02-20, 10:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've not found Goretex to work as advertised, except in limited conditions. Cycling in general, I generate a lot more heat than can be dissipated through Goretex or any other "breathable" jacket.

The limited conditions where it works fairly well are cold and dry. 50°F is generally too warm; 40-45° with dewpoint 15-20° cooler works OK, but I don't get a lot of that where I live. For more common conditions, I've got jackets with pit zippers, two-way front zippers, sleeves that can be opened (velcro around the cuffs) and a back vent.

Even then, over 60° the rain jacket is optional. I'm going to get wet either way, sweat or rain.
Old 09-02-20, 10:43 AM
wilson_smyth

Originally Posted by vespasianus
Shakedry is the thinnest layer of Gore-tex and nothing else. Packable and form fitting. Much better in terms of fitting and wicking compared to my "old" gore tex jacket.
its the goretex version of Outdry. outdry was made available and gore had to get something out to compete. Shakedry is good but not nearly as durable as outdry.

Last edited by wilson_smyth; 09-02-20 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-09-20, 11:06 AM
barakah

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTrax
Is GORTEX and good material for a cycling jacket? Is it breathable enough for the average cyclist that is not really hammering down?

Suggestions for a cycling jackets?
yes and yes! I love my gortex pants and poncho. They are not cheap but will keep you dry for sure,
Old 09-09-20, 11:13 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
base layering would be better when using with a thicker jersey
Old 09-09-20, 10:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Ehhh most jackets in the waterproof category don't really breathe all that well. I had a RAB jacket with Polartec NeoShell and my current Mountain Hardwear shell with their DRY.Q Elite and they are excellent jackets but I still sweat in them and they were/are some of the supposedly more breathable membranes.

This all being said Gore-Tex does make some excellent waterproof membranes and the Shakedry seems like a great cycling companion for cooler wet weather pursuits. For the hot times I would go jacket less but as it gets cooler my MHW Dry Q shell is just fine and dandy.
Old 09-10-20, 01:42 AM
wilson_smyth

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ehhh most jackets in the waterproof category don't really breathe all that well.I had a RAB jacket with Polartec NeoShell and my current Mountain Hardwear shell with their DRY.Q Elite and they are excellent jackets but I still sweat in them
This kind of sentiment is thrown about all the time.

The jacket wont prevent a person sweating. People expect magic from jackets. must be wind and waterproof, but must also be fully permeable from the inside out. thats a huge ask.
Couple this with the fact that most people wont wear appropriate layers under the jacket and it really doesn't have a chance at behaving close to expectations.

If your underlayers are cotton, forget about it, thats where the sweat stays, regardless of how fancy the jacket material is.
If your underlayers are wicking but too heavy, and youre sweating while cycling, again, theres only so much the jacket can do.
If you have too many underlayers sweat will build up between them.

The best shot at reducing sweat is to wear a wicking layer next to the skin, lighter than you think you need. Be a bit colder than you would like setting out, with the idea that you will warm up with a few mins cycling.
The jacket over this will keep water out, while the wicking layer and the jacket will do a reasonable job at keeping you dry from the inside.
I have found goretex and similar fabrics less breathable when "Wetted out" but for the commute, it rarely makes a difference. If wetout is a big issue, get Outdry or shakedry and remove the problem.
Thats what ive learned from experience anyway.

Again though, dont expect miracles, the jacket is trying to do two opposing tasks here, waterproof & windproof from the outside, permeable with airflow from the inside.

Last edited by wilson_smyth; 09-10-20 at 03:58 AM.
Likes For wilson_smyth:
Old 09-10-20, 08:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson_smyth
The best shot at reducing sweat is to wear a wicking layer next to the skin, lighter than you think you need. Be a bit colder than you would like setting out, with the idea that you will warm up with a few mins cycling.
The jacket over this will keep water out, while the wicking layer and the jacket will do a reasonable job at keeping you dry from the inside.
I have found goretex and similar fabrics less breathable when "Wetted out" but for the commute, it rarely makes a difference.
I think this is landing where I staked out a position before, just from a slightly different angle:
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've not found Goretex to work as advertised, except in limited conditions. ...
The limited conditions where it works fairly well are cold and dry. 50°F is generally too warm; 40-45° with dewpoint 15-20° cooler works OK, but I don't get a lot of that where I live.
Again though, dont expect miracles, the jacket is trying to do two opposing tasks here, waterproof & windproof from the outside, permeable with airflow from the inside.
And part of the problem we have at BF is that so many people see the Goretex ads, drink the Kool-Ade, and and expect waterproof, windproof, and permeable in whatever weather they ride.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-10-20, 03:47 PM
Troul 

Goretexs material isn't all inclusive to doing the entire proclaimed expectations. The material may do some of it, but knowing how to use the clothing takes it to the rest of the expectations. If the ventilation isn't adjusted correctly, you'll overheat then you'll perspire. If the ventilation is allowed more than what is needed, you'll be cold & likely have precipitation intrusion.
Old 09-10-20, 03:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
This kind of sentiment is thrown about all the time.

The jacket wont prevent a person sweating. People expect magic from jackets. must be wind and waterproof, but must also be fully permeable from the inside out. thats a huge ask.
Couple this with the fact that most people wont wear appropriate layers under the jacket and it really doesn't have a chance at behaving close to expectations.

If your underlayers are cotton, forget about it, thats where the sweat stays, regardless of how fancy the jacket material is.
If your underlayers are wicking but too heavy, and youre sweating while cycling, again, theres only so much the jacket can do.
If you have too many underlayers sweat will build up between them.

I have found goretex and similar fabrics less breathable when "Wetted out" but for the commute, it rarely makes a difference. If wetout is a big issue, get Outdry or shakedry and remove the problem.
Thats what ive learned from experience anyway.

Agreed with all of that. When I said I still sweat I probably should have worded it differently.
Old 09-10-20, 03:55 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Agreed with all of that. When I said I still sweat I probably should have worded it differently.
I wouldn't sweat it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.