Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hmmm, what Colnago and how did this happen?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hmmm, what Colnago and how did this happen?

Old 09-13-20, 08:58 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,932 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well, as time allowed I've been messing with this one here and there. I had noticed how easily the wheels with it were mounting and how wide the dropouts seemed. So this morning I grabbed some spare Fulcrums I've had bouncing around on other bikes and they fit just fine. Found a crap 7 speed cassette in my spare, a 4.5mm spacer, and then mounted it to the Fulcrums. Without any adjustment the RD shifts six of the seven gears just not the smallest. More importantly it does not overshift into the spokes. Found a Thomson seatpost in my stash also that allows me to get the height I need on this frame so I mounted that up too. As pictures a respectable 20 lbs 3 ozs. Right now I've got a Veloflex Master 700 x 25 on the front and a Conti GP4000s II 700 x 25 on the back. I think these tires were on the wheels for clearance issues when I had they on the Y-Foil. Gonna test as is today and then sort out a decision on the tires and fix that RD.

As light as it already is I'm seriously tempted to go find some good components for it now. That saddle came with it and I don't know if my butt will like it. With the way things look now I think if I leave the black seatpost on then a white saddle will be the bees knees.

Ready for the first test.

Need to decide on bottle cages too. White, black, or maybe the metallic red I have on the Basso which is pretty much the same color. Hmmm.........
Old 09-13-20, 07:18 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
I really like the way this bike looks, the color with those wheels is perfect.
And I always liked the look of that gruppo, perhaps more than the higher-end offerings!

True story:
I once found a pair of those "2-way fit" Fulcrums in a bike shop dumpster, nothing wrong with them but one broken spoke in back. Literally like new, though by that time perhaps 7 or 8 years old!
I did have to search far and wide to get that one spoke though, since normally the spokes are sold as sets for almost $200 (and why said wheels ended up in the trash, since with labor the customer would be out $3-500 depending on whether the rim trued up).
I finally found a source for single spokes (in Germany) and now have the wheels up and running (wishing that they fit better on my red Klein Performance with it's 126mm spacing).
Only in America I guess, or only in California? Anyhow, the shop had just down-sized and I also found my discarded/free Centurion Pro-Tour there at around the same time.
Old 09-14-20, 12:46 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Maybe consider mounting gum wall tires on it, like Vittoria G's, to restore it to its original looks?....
Old 09-14-20, 09:27 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Maybe consider mounting gum wall tires on it, like Vittoria G's, to restore it to its original looks?....
Yep, been looking for some Veloflex Master's. I like the dark brown on the Grand Prix Classic's for some bikes but not sure about it on this one.

And Edit: Package arrived from Merlin today with some 700 x 28 Master's in it. I forgot I had ordered them, LOL!

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-14-20 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 09:31 AM
jamesdak 

I did get about 12 miles on this after a 40 mile ride on the Y-Foil. All I can really say is the brake pads must be original. I had like no brakes, LOL! Not liking the brake lever location either. Bike felt pretty responsive when I got on it but to me honest I got to feeling sick will riding the Y-Foil and didn't put too much effort into this. Don't know if it's all the smoke or what but I just felt flat the whole day on both bikes. Gonna source some replacement Kool Stop pads for this beast if I don't decide to upgrade the components.
Old 09-19-20, 11:38 AM
jamesdak 

Finally getting some very much needed rain. So I'm spending the morning working on the bikes. Mounted up the Veloflex Master 700 x 28 tires on the Colnago with some Vittoria latex tubes inside. This setup yields more clearance than the Continental GP4000s II 700 x 25 when they were on the old narrow wheels this came with.

Gained an ounce with the new tires, oh no! LOL!!
Old 09-19-20, 12:15 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
Nice. Quality wide-ish tires with latex tubes are a treat.
Old 09-20-20, 02:56 PM
jamesdak 

Well, still waiting for the Kool Stop pads to get in so I shouldn't be riding this. But with that Tour de France win how could I not take out the Campagnolo equipped Colnago? So after putting 31 test miles on the Serotta Nova Special I hopped on the Colnago for another 10 miles. A seat post that didn't slip this time combined with the tire upgrades made this ol' beast feel like a completely different bike. I was loving it today despite the really poor rear shifting of this Victory setup. Now I really want to upgrade the components on this!

Before heading out I set the brake pads real close to the rims after filing them down a bit. Didn't help, LOL!