Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Solid snacks on the bike

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Solid snacks on the bike

Old 09-13-20, 02:29 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Solid snacks on the bike

What do y'all like to eat on the bike?
I tried a homemade energy gel--obviously not solid, and pretty awful. More recently, I've been trying fig newtons. The nutritional composition isn't bad, they're cheap and readily available, and a sleeve happens to fit perfectly in my top-tube bag. They're easy to handle and easy to meter out. But they're a little hard to get down, so even over a 5-hour ride, it takes some effort to get through just one sleeve, which is about 750 calories. So I'm hitting up the hive mind for suggestions.
Old 09-13-20, 04:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
About 20 years ago, I switched to doing Hammer Nutrition style liquid fueling. At first, I experimented with their fuels. I have a low tolerance for unnecessary expenditures so I started making my own. My recipe for powdered fuel is 7 parts plain maltodextrin, 1 part chocolate flavored whey protein, by weight not volume. I buy my malto in 50# bags from a homebrew supply house and use my current favorite for the whey protein, which I buy in 5 lb. containers. Of course flavors other than chocolate work fine, and these substances are easily available in smaller sizes.

Two cups of powder mix is about 750 calories and is the max strength I use for a 24 oz. bike bottle. For me, that's about 50 miles, which is a good distance between pee and water stops. For long rides, I carry extra powder in ziploc bags. For longer rides, I supplement this drink with ordinary whatever at mini-marts, etc. Hostess fruit pies are a fave.

I take a sip about every 15 minutes and just keep it coming, the slow drip effect. It's not sweet, very mild tasting, and doesn't tire my mouth. For electrolytes, I use Endurolyte caps rather than mixing something into my drink. For long rides, I carry one liter bottle with 750 calories of drink and either another liter of plain water or a Camelbak.

I switched to this system because nothing else works even vaguely as well.
Old 09-13-20, 04:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I used to take a banana and cut it into 3 or 4 sections with the peel left on and put them in a plastic bag. Easy to fish out of a bag on the top-tube. Peel is bio-degradable, but I always tried to bring it back with me and dispose at home. Various granola bars and power bars were treat too, along with a snickers bar when temperature permits. I tried trail mix, but though I eat nuts of all sorts off the bike, they didn't like me on the bike. Currently I just take a box of raisins on trips of 50 or more miles. I tend to be happy with most of my carbs in my bottles. But if I didn't like putting carbs in my water, I suppose I'd be using Hammer's gels in their re-fillable flask. That is what my son likes to use.

Or maybe some of those strawberry jelly packets they used to give you at mcdonalds when you bought an egg mcmuffin.
Old 09-13-20, 07:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I have good digestion and I prefer solid calories to liquid calories. I avoid all the commercial made sports nutrition products and bring along normal food and drink on my rides.... If I don't bring anything along with me then I will stop along the way and buy something that is real food.....A muffin, a bunch of cookies, chocolate milk, banana, fig bars, granola bars, potato chips, a slice of pizza, subway sandwich etc.
Old 09-14-20, 01:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Usually Clif bars since they agree with me. Sometimes I'll buy cheap snacks individually wrapped at the dollar store for a change of taste in junk carbs during rides. If there's a convenience store I'm grabbing a donut and coffee. But I have a little difficulty swallowing after throat surgery a couple of years ago so I usually avoid some dry or gummy solid foods while on the bike. It's easier to wash that stuff down during a rest break when I have access to plenty of water.

So, usually gels and whatever I add to my water bottles.
Old 09-14-20, 03:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Decent quality granola bars
Oatmeal raisin cookies ... or chocolate chip if it is cooler
A little baggie of salted almonds
Fruit bars
Dried fruit
Bananas
Lollies
Old 09-14-20, 09:50 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I like Belvita Chocolate bites, poptarts, and the occasional Clif Bar when they're on sale.
Old 09-14-20, 09:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Fresh fig bars are great, like the ones from convenience stores in 4-bar packs. They're not as dry, and seem to have more flavor. Candy bars or fruit pies are great if you can stop to buy them.

I'll reluctantly eat Clif bars if I can't stop at convenience stores, like this year. I still need a bunch of fluid to get them down, but they don't melt on warm days (like Snickers and Kind bars).
Old 09-14-20, 09:58 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Solid snacks? Nuts; granola; jerky; the rest via the water bottles (with electrolyte and/or energy packets added in). Won't melt or drip, and won't go bad. Won't provide huge amounts of ready energy (as gel packs would), but for the longer-lasting energy I need for longer distances and sustained modest to moderate effort, this works for me.
Old 09-14-20, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
For those that like fig newtons but the cookie part is too dry in your mouth. You might try some dried figs. 2 figs gives about 110 calories. And they taste a little better than the inside of a fig newton. Without the crumbly dry cookie part you might not need as much water to wash it down with.

I get a big bag from Costco and snack on them way too much. Dried apricots too.
Old 09-14-20, 01:02 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Fig Newtons, assorted bag of nuts.
Old 09-15-20, 03:53 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
What do y'all like to eat on the bike?
I tried a homemade energy gel--obviously not solid, and pretty awful. More recently, I've been trying fig newtons. The nutritional composition isn't bad, they're cheap and readily available, and a sleeve happens to fit perfectly in my top-tube bag. They're easy to handle and easy to meter out. But they're a little hard to get down, so even over a 5-hour ride, it takes some effort to get through just one sleeve, which is about 750 calories. So I'm hitting up the hive mind for suggestions.
Peanut Butter Crunch Clif bars. They're mostly carbs which can be digested, don't make a mess when I return a partially eaten bar to a jersey pocket, and aren't so sweet I can't eat 9 or 10 on a 200 mile ride for 2250 - 2500 kcal.
Old 09-16-20, 09:13 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
I eat Clif bars when riding. Not a whole bar at a time. Maybe quarter bar size bites.

When I eat Clif bars I chew and keep them in my mouth until the dissolve. It makes sense to me that very well chewed solid food would digest easier and get into the blood stream easier than less well chewed solid foods.
Old 09-17-20, 06:21 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm generally a fig bar guy, try to buy them on sale in multipack, so I end up paying 30 cents vs. $1.19 or more at a convenience store stop.

Recently tried some SANS meal bars, and really liked them both for taste, quality and energy. They are 380 calories vs. 140 for the standard fig bar pack and much more expensive - on sale, in quantity 24 they were around $2/bar - calorie per $ about the same as convenience store fig bars but way more expensive than when I buy those multi-packs of fig bars in advance.

But, on long rides I'm really enjoying 1 SANS bar vs. 2 or 3 packages of fig bars.
Old 09-17-20, 08:13 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
On brevets rice crispy treats are my favorite on bike snack. Rugged, dense, packable, and easy to eat on the bike; sugar for quick energy and puffed rice for slower energy. Multigrain bars are a nice, less sugary change of pace. Later in the ride, it's whatever convenience store snacks stuff looks appealing. Often less sweet. I find small things like fig bars or crumbly things like cookies or muffins tasty but difficult to manage on the bike. Bananas are good but have to be eaten quickly. Apples are marginally worth the effort. If in France, the best cycling pocket food in the world is available: jambon beurre sandwich. Two please: one for now, one for later.
Old 09-25-20, 09:02 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
pemmican

(jk)
Old 09-25-20, 09:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Oreos