Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

orientation of small ring on a tripple crankset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 01:01 PM
jim p

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This new small ring has a raised ring below the teeth. Should this raised ring be toward the bb? The teeth on the new ring seem to have a little tilt. Should this tilt be toward the rear of the bike when viewed from the top of the ring. ( the old ring seemed to have worn with a small tilt to the rear.)
Old 09-16-20, 03:03 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
do you have a picture of it? link to the product listing? it's pretty hard to give advice if we don't know what you're looking at.
Old 09-16-20, 03:09 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I couldn't find the answer on line when I ran into this problem. So I tried it both ways. In one orientation (don't remember now and there's rain between the computer and the garage) the middle ring was equidistant from both the small and the large ring -- that was the right way!
Old 09-16-20, 03:32 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I will check for equal distance between the rings and install it with the slant on the teeth to the rear.
Old 09-16-20, 08:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
One way to find out can be to compare the old ring's center of tooth from it's contact face with the crank spider then repeat with the new ring. In a perfect world the two rings will have their center of teeth sit the same distance from the crank mounting surface. But in this real world there's generally some drift. So the key is how the chain clears the middle ring's teeth when in the inner ring and most outboard cog you'll be using (hopefully not the cross over combo) and also clears the other ring bolt's back sides. Andy