Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Inherited old Stumpjumper

Old 09-20-20, 07:11 PM
CC3@Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inherited old Stumpjumper

Hi!

I inherited an old Specialized Stumpjumper, Direct Drive and I don't know what to do with it! The tires are totally shot but the Shimano components seem to be in good shape (no rust, brakes work, etc). I don't know how to tell how old it is (maybe early 90s?) and how much it's worth (looking on ebay the prices range from $200 - $1200). Or just fix it enough for my son to use it for tooling around the neighborhood?
It won't let me post photos until I"ve been more active here, but I have photos. It's bright yellow btw.
Old 09-21-20, 08:24 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by CC3@Stumpjumper
Hi!

I inherited an old Specialized Stumpjumper, Direct Drive and I don't know what to do with it! The tires are totally shot but the Shimano components seem to be in good shape (no rust, brakes work, etc). I don't know how to tell how old it is (maybe early 90s?) and how much it's worth (looking on ebay the prices range from $200 - $1200). Or just fix it enough for my son to use it for tooling around the neighborhood?
It won't let me post photos until I"ve been more active here, but I have photos. It's bright yellow btw.
Welcome. Post some more replies (here and on other threads that interest you) and get to the 10 min so you can post photos.

If it’s an early 90s steel hardtail it’s likely worth closer to $200 than $1200, but anyway it’s also a great, sturdy, versatile thing to have around.
Plus there’s lots of parts available for bikes like this if something does need to be replaced.
Old 09-21-20, 08:42 AM
CC3@Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much! I'll see if I can find a local bike shop to help fix it up.
Old 09-21-20, 11:13 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Photo assist:

An overall photo from the drive side, and photos of the components, would help, as would the serial number. Appears to be mid-'90s, by the markings.

Appears to be an attempt at a "geezer pleaser" setup, with the, er, comfy saddle and bar ends turned backward. Common fate of many MTBs from this era.
Old 09-22-20, 04:02 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Very nice. This looks to be a 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper with largely a Deore DX group. I have one that I am currently fixing up. With a little elbow grease, it might make a good bike for your son to tool around the neighborhood. I don't know how old your son is but he may find a one speed a better bike to tool around with than this. Multi speed bikes are easier to destroy and don't deal all that well with neglect. $200-$300 is about right for a local sale with no work done on this bike.
Old 09-24-20, 03:42 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
Agreed, with the added bonus of an original fork.
Old 09-24-20, 07:06 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
It has the key components for a vintage hard frame frame fork with good paint stem and crank set in great shape all great all matching and near prefect. So a easy build wheels. tires, nice shift and brake stuff are pretty easy to find if the ones on the bike are not on very good shape can't tell on these from just a pic. So $250 or so as is this bike is very nice and a bit special a knowing buyer will likely pay up in most markets.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-25-20 at 09:52 AM.