Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Switching over a complete groupset, but....

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-21-20, 12:19 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread as computer acting weird...

Primary bike

I have a League Fuji which currently running Suntour ARX friction shifting with a 6 speed freewheel. I currently have tubulars mounted and have freshly rebuilt Campy hubs and wheels freshly trued. Groupset is pretty near worn out.

Donor bike

I have a Ascente Aerolite with Exage 300 Motion indexed shifting and a 7 speed cassette. It has clinchers. Groupset is in excellent condition.

I want to switch over the bars with levers, headset and bottom bracket, brakes, front and rear derailleurs, cranks and either stay with the Exage downtube shifters or install brifters (I have shifter boss covers that allow the cables to function when used with brifters or barcons).

Basically I'd be keeping the Brooks and seat post on the Fuji and everything else would move. Assuming I like it, I'd be powder coating this fall/winter.

My issue is the tubular wheelset on the Fuji. Hubs are Campagnolo and were just rebuilt. Wheels were professionally trued recently. I prefer the tubular ride and don't want to return to clinchers. I have heard of axles breaking when used with 7 speed hubs so if needed can move to a solid rear axle. I'd like to move up to a 7 speed instead of a 6 speed but not married to it.

Q: 1) Are there good quality indexing compatible, freewheels? Current freewheel is Suntour and using friction.

Q: 2) Should I stick with a 6 speed? New to indexing and see the potential benefit of index shifting but can 7 speed shifters work with 6 speed rears or must it be a 7 speed rear?

Q: 3) Should I worry about the axles breaking with 7 speed freewheels stories? Do I need a solid axle??
Old 09-21-20, 12:37 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
1) I've heard IRD makes good freewheels. Personally I like older Sachs Aris LY9x 7 speeds that will index with Shimano. NOS gets a bit pricey.

2) 7 speed Shimano SIS shifters will work with Shiamno SIS 6 speed rear derailleurs.

3) I've run 7 speed freewheels for decades and have never broken an axle. My current urban bike is 7 speed freewheel. I have bent 1 axle many years ago. I would go with 7 speed. Solid axle buys you nothing.

John
Old 09-21-20, 04:03 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
I'll wait until early winter and pull everything. Might as well enjoy the last 6 or so weeks of good riding and then tear it down. Looks like an inexpensive way to upgrade....