Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why to people ride opposite traffic?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why to people ride opposite traffic?

Old 09-20-20, 10:57 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Skulking
It is also putting other riders who are following traffic laws in an unusual situation when they find another rider coming towards them against traffic.
It seems that rides approaching you from the wrong direction always take the curb, to your right, and force you wide into the traffic lane.

Just selfish.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-20-20, 11:37 AM
hedonist222

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine ONE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I accept your apology.
then you admit you weren't being snarky
You big ol' softie you

Originally Posted by Skulking
Even if you want to ignore the risks at intersections where drivers aren't expecting someone coming the wrong way as they turn or cross the intersection there are a couple of other good reasons.

Outside of intersections, you are still riding against traffic, and you are putting drivers in an unusual situation because they aren't expecting to have someone on the shoulder riding towards them. Right or wrong, unusual situations are risky because you never know how someone will react.

It is also putting other riders who are following traffic laws in an unusual situation when they find another rider coming towards them against traffic. I would expect that to throw me a bit, and it forces a pass when you meet rather than giving you an opportunity to wait for a safe time to pass if you are riding in the same direction.

And of course it also increases your closing speed in the event that you are hit.
Even when I ride with traffic, I stop are red-light junctions. If the signal is green, I won't stop.

If I were to come against traffic, I'd still stop at a traffic signal.
Our roads are laid out in a way that four lanes turn into three lanes - just as you drive under you signal, through the junction, and pass under the next signal.
Then a fourth lane is joined. (From traffic turning right).

I'm not advocating for against-traffic riding.
Just discussing.

​​​​​​​
Old 09-20-20, 06:18 PM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I still remember when I was in school the bicycle safety class and booklet told us to ride against traffic. I know that now we say to ride with traffic but I'd bet there are a bunch of people who were taught that way and teach their kids that way as well.
Old 09-20-20, 06:32 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Mandela Effect.

People believe they know something, despite getting it wrong on associations and details. But because of peer pressure and intellectual laziness they never question their own assumptions.

As a kid in the 1960s schools attempted to teach rudimentary lessons in how to be a decent human being. They called it "civics." That included teaching kids to walk facing traffic. Presumably so they could jump out of the way of murderous members of their "community" barging around maliciously in their death machines. In drivers ed I don't recall any lessons teaching drivers to be decent human beings and not run over slower pedestrians and cyclists.

Anyway, as a result of those lessons about walking facing traffic, which most people wake-slept through, they halfway remember something about facing traffic and assume it applies to cyclists too.

I encountered that same misapprehension from a friend who's my age (both born in the late 1950s). I occasionally see him outside when I'm coming home from bike rides and stop to chat awhile. He mentioned that same mistake about riding facing traffic. I told him that applies only to pedestrians and, in most states, cyclists are supposed to operate like motor vehicles.

Same reason why some drivers holler "Get on the sidewalk!" at cyclists. Never mind that there are very few sidewalks in suburbs that were built to take advantage of personal transportation.

And the misunderstanding is reinforced by people riding bikes pretty much the way most people walk -- opportunistically. To minimize our risk from reckless drivers, most of us walk with little or no regard to official guidlines -- crosswalks, intersections and walk lights. It makes no sense to cross at an intersection where the walk signal coincides with signals to drivers that it's okay to turn right on red and left against traffic on yellow. So pedestrians are competing with death machines coming from different directions. Effectively the walk signal means nothing. So for our own safety we'll "jaywalk" by choosing a place in the middle of the block to cross where we have a clear view in two directions (rather than four at the typical intersection), a median strip as a safe zone, etc.

In my area most folks on bicycles wouldn't self-identify as "cyclists." The bike is just a way to get around that's a little faster than walking. But they ride their bikes the same way most of us walk -- opportunistically. They'll ride on the sidewalk for awhile wherever a sidewalk is available. They'll ride facing traffic for awhile, then dart diagonally across an intersection, dodging vehicles, and ride with traffic for awhile, then cut through a parking lot, etc.

It might seem reckless to casual observers, and sometimes it is reckless. But if you study them closely enough, it's mostly opportunistic, trying to read the patterns of vehicle traffic and riding to suit conditions.
I'd add to that the hypothesis that riding facing traffic is self-reinforcing. People who do it experience more car/bike conflicts that they would if riding with traffic. Of course, they mostly avoid the other traffic and believe that they could do this because they were opposing traffic.This reinforces the idea that facing traffic is safer.
Old 09-21-20, 08:19 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by hedonist222
average speeds of 22 kph

do you mean when you ride aggressively, you don't have time to look up?

still cannot figure out the harms of riding against traffic

Not trying to be argumentative - genuinely do not know
I believe that Princess Allez was inferring that the mirror would be in the way of your hand when you went into the drops as you would when trying to reduce drag when riding fast or to lower your center of gravity for hard cornering.
Likes For Just Mark:
Old 09-21-20, 11:01 AM
hedonist222

Originally Posted by Just Mark
I believe that Princess Allez was inferring that the mirror would be in the way of your hand when you went into the drops as you would when trying to reduce drag when riding fast or to lower your center of gravity for hard cornering.
Ahh, thank you for clarifying sir.

Prices allez slay mistakenly inferred that I drop into the drops hahaha
But no, they don't get in the way.
Likes For hedonist222:
Old 09-21-20, 11:05 AM
hedonist222

Everyone's done a great job explaining why against-traffic is not ideal.

I'd like you all to address a recently developed conundrum:

People engorged with their phones and then swerving into you.
Old 09-22-20, 01:48 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

Here is the one situation that worries me the most.

Imagine that you are approaching an intersection, say 2 lanes each way, and you're in the far left shoulder. Against traffic. No left turn lanes, no dedicated turn lights.

That driver behind you, going the same direction, hurrying to catch that light and turn left, doesn't see you. Because he's not looking way over to his left - no one does.

You don't see him, because he's behind you. Sure, you looked earlier, and you don't start across when you see someone behind preparing to turn left, but what about when you're already starting across, he's going fast and turns into you?

It's just way easier to judge and react to those "left crosses" when you're going with traffic. You can watch them approach, keep an eye on them, make a quick dodge if you have to. Against traffic, he's right there beside you before you see and react to him.
Old 09-22-20, 06:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Just today I was riding on a 2 lane road, 1 each way, and saw 2 cyclists approaching from the opposite direction on my side. I also saw a mini van start backing out of the driveway. I'm sure the mini van never saw them and only stopped because they saw me.
Old 09-22-20, 07:03 PM
astrodust

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Death wish?
Old 09-22-20, 07:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by astrodust
Death wish?
no, just stupid.

BTW, these were adults who I assume drive and should know better.
Old 09-22-20, 07:20 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Why [do] people ride opposite traffic?
Fans of medieval jousting?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-23-20, 05:17 AM
hedonist222

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Here is the one situation that worries me the most.

Imagine that you are approaching an intersection, say 2 lanes each way, and you're in the far left shoulder. Against traffic. No left turn lanes, no dedicated turn lights.

That driver behind you, going the same direction, hurrying to catch that light and turn left, doesn't see you. Because he's not looking way over to his left - no one does.

You don't see him, because he's behind you. Sure, you looked earlier, and you don't start across when you see someone behind preparing to turn left, but what about when you're already starting across, he's going fast and turns into you?

It's just way easier to judge and react to those "left crosses" when you're going with traffic. You can watch them approach, keep an eye on them, make a quick dodge if you have to. Against traffic, he's right there beside you before you see and react to him.
good point

thank you for sharing
Old 09-23-20, 08:09 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
It seems that rides approaching you from the wrong direction always take the curb, to your right, and force you wide into the traffic lane.

Just selfish.
Most of them try to. I have taken to stopping, with my bike angled in towards the curb, and forcing them out closer to traffic. It hopefully makes the point, but if not, they are the ones putting themselves in danger, and I'm not letting them force me into because of their idiocy.
Old 09-23-20, 08:11 AM
Notso_fastLane

Everyone's done a great job explaining why against-traffic is not ideal.

I'd like you all to address a recently developed conundrum:

People engorged with their phones and then swerving into you.
You can't fix stupid. It often takes care of itself, though.
Old 09-23-20, 10:33 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
average speeds of 22 kph

do you mean when you ride aggressively, you don't have time to look up?

I would never sacrifice use of the drops for a mirror.

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 09-23-20 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-23-20, 10:35 AM
Princess_Allez

I saw a mother of two jogging against traffic with her double-wide stroller. It made absolutely zero sense to me. She's putting her children at risk so she can see a head-on collision coming her way, when there's a perfectly good sidewalk on the other side or the road
Old 09-23-20, 10:55 AM
BlackMambaNYC
GO LAKERS

Bikes: 2020 Supersix EVO 105, 2020 TBT Single Speed

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
It has been mentioned in this thread but NYC is a different beast. All the one-way streets encourage folks to take the shortest route and the delivery guys are trying to get where they need to go ASAP. The folks on Citibikes just DGAF or aren't really aware. Even the Amazon delivery guys with their huge boxes behind their bikes ride the wrong way. It's a mess out here!
Old 09-23-20, 12:24 PM
hedonist222

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I would never sacrifice use of the drops for a mirror.
as mentioned above
I don't have the luxury of a private track
These days people are engrossed with mobile phones
It's not farfetched that someone haphazardly migrates out of their lane

I'm not looking to win championships - if I were,I certainly wouldn't be training on cosmopolitan/public roads

Having three children and a wife and feeling safer keeping an eye on oncoming traffic is not an issue - I can multitask

Plus,I said above - the mirror doesn't get in my way in the drops but I'm not advanced enough on a road bike to be in the drops for very long either -nor am I interested

I'm fortunate enough to own a $7,000 bike that I appreciate and enjoy within my limits and my expectations
I'm happy and fortunate to be able to take on a new hobby with a sub 8 kilogram bicycle and I recognize and appreciate that

Maybe time for you to stop being a princess and intertwine in the real world?

I know (hope) that your comment was out of impulse and that you really didn't mean it

Otherwise you have a lot of growing up to do ...
and no, I'm not some old fart going through a divorce/middle-life crisis
I'm a 38 year old that likes to believe I'm somewhat wise and realistic

Last edited by hedonist222; 09-23-20 at 12:31 PM.
Likes For hedonist222:
Old 09-23-20, 01:54 PM
Princess_Allez

I was just stating what works for me. If it doesn't bother you and you don't require using the drops, then that's good for you. For some folks, owning a $7k bike and not riding it like you stole it is all that matters to them. The same can be said of sports car owners. I also see many people that just like owning things for the sake of owning it. They don't drive it fast or take it to the track. There's a lot of variation in how people enjoy their toys.
Old 09-23-20, 06:21 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I will admit that i commit this cycling faux pas on my commute home from work -- otherwise, it'd be crossing the same six-lane highway twice (two left turns). So I ride 'wrong way' -- on a 10' wide shoulder - for all of less than a mile. Other than that, nope...
Old 09-24-20, 10:39 AM
Notso_fastLane

I was watching a guy on an ebike (not pedaling) cruising along a well marked, wide street with a bike lane that's offset ~6 feet from the curb on the wrong side of the road. He was an accident waiting to happen. Riding along the wrong side of the road, cars come from behind him, but don't necessarily see him when they turn left, and this stretch of road has a lot of turn offs for businesses in the area.

I wonder if a lot of the people we're seeing like this are because of the ebike craze. I guess it's better than bad drivers being in cars, but it's still bad.
Old 09-24-20, 11:27 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
why to (do) people ride opposite traffic ? > to test their reflexes ?
Old 09-24-20, 11:41 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by royphotog
In California, the law states that you must ride on the right side of the roadway with traffic. But I see people riding on the wrong side of the road all the time. In fact, years ago, I hit someone on a bike going the wrong way, on the sidewalk. I was turning out of a parking lot onto a busy street and bam, knocked a girl off her bike, she was not hurt, luckily and the bike was not damaged, but I was freaked out. I was not looking for someone on a bike going the wrong way.
I think people ride so they can see the traffic coming, but not only is it more dangerous, not just because no one is looking for you, but also if you do get hit, now the speed is multiplied, by the speed of the car and how fast your riding. If your riding at 15 mph and the car is going 35 mph you get hit at the force of 50mph, where if you were riding with traffic and got hit given the same scenario, the impact would be 20mph, still, not a good experience, but much better then 50mph.
Now your incident description begs the question, "How old was the girl?" Because if she was 12 or younger, she was LEGALLY RIDING ON THE SIDEWALK and you were fully to blame. Drivers must make sure a sidewalk is clear before proceeding. Doesn't matter which way she was riding on the sidewalk - they are not directional. Not much different than you hitting a fast jogger on a sidewalk, or someone in a wheelchair. But drivers often just blast over sidewalks all the time assuming people will get out of the way. This is irresponsible and wrong; drivers have to cross sidewalks with care.

Now if she was an adult, then that changes the legal determination. However, fault might end up being 50/50. Sure, an adult shouldn't be riding on the sidewalk, but a driver still must exhibit care crossing sidewalks because she COULD HAVE BEEN A CHILD. But still, it still doesn't really matter; it seems you drove across the sidewalk without enough care to avoid someone using the sidewalk.
Old 09-24-20, 11:46 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
I think the answer is simple: novice riders think it's better to see oncoming traffic.

But that's counter to the CA VC AND physics. Closing speeds are changed by a differential double the rider's speed. So a rider doing 20 mph AGAINST traffic is approaching 40 mph faster than if they were going in the opposite direction. This greatly increases the risk or collision and reduces reaction times to avoid disaster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.