Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fitting new tyres

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fitting new tyres

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 11:09 AM
venomx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Fitting new tyres

Got me new tyres and will be fitting them tomorrow. Do you guys recommend slightly inflating the inner tubes before fitting them and the tyres ?
Old 06-08-20, 11:15 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I'll add enough air so that it's probably about 60-75% inflated.
It varies somewhat between fat & skinny tires and fingers.
You want enough to keep the tube from folding on itself, but not so much you have trouble keeping it where it belongs.
Old 06-08-20, 12:33 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Yes, just enough to give the tube some shape. Too much and you can't mount the tube, too little and you can pinch the tube under the tire bead. If the latter happens, pump it up and you'll get some excitement Real Soon Now! Ka-boom!!
Old 06-09-20, 12:08 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Why on the tyres does it have the word front and an arrow ? Is it important to put it the right way round ?
Old 06-09-20, 02:13 AM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by venomx
Why on the tyres does it have the word front and an arrow ? Is it important to put it the right way round ?
You likely have a directional tire. Make sure the arrow points in the direction the tire will be spinning.
Old 06-09-20, 03:54 AM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Yes.
They put them on there for a reason
Old 06-09-20, 04:58 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Got my new tyres and stuck where I got stuck last time

done the whole lot except for this tricky bit that took me 5 hours to do last time

any idea ?
Old 06-09-20, 05:26 AM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Got my new tyres and stuck where I got stuck last time

done the whole lot except for this tricky bit that took me 5 hours to do last time

any idea ?
Have the same issue. Dish soap is said to help, although didn't for the last tires I tried to get on
Old 06-09-20, 06:04 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
There are good video tutorials on mounting bike tires.

When you get to that point, and you're sure the tube is fully inside the rim and won't get pinched by the tire, let ALL the air out.

Another good, easy tip is to squeeze the tire beads together, starting at valve stem and ending opposite it, using both hands in opposite directions. The rim has a "U" shape, and if you get the beads into the deepest part of the "U", you have a more relaxed fit, as they say in the clothing business.

I've heard some say Contis are hard to mount, but I've never had that problem. Some tire/rim combos are difficult, though.
Old 06-09-20, 07:30 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Looked everywhere and can’t manage . Been stuck at this bit for hours now.
think I’ll get a bike mechanic to do them
Old 06-09-20, 07:32 AM
Carl J

Looked everywhere and can’t manage . Been stuck at this bit for hours now.
think I’ll get a bike mechanic to do them
Was just pointed to these thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...are-fight.html) regarding issues with my tires.

It may help you out (some good advice in there)
Old 06-09-20, 07:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I lay the wheel down on the axle. I also would have put the disc side up, so I wouldn't have to worry as much about bending the disc. But if you can put blocks or boards under it to keep anything from touching the disc you'll be okay.

To get the last side on I place the valve furthest away from me. Then I start putting the bead over the rim at the closest point to me, 6 o'clock, and with hands on either side run the bead up to the 11 and 1 o'clock position where it typically gets very tight as yours did. Then with the wheel still laying down, I go back to the 6 o'clock position with both thumbs an push the bead down into the spoke channel and slide my thumbs up along the rim pushing the bead down as I go. When I get to the stuck part, it usually moves a little more. Repeat until it goes on.

You may have to let some air out of your tube as you do this so it doesn't keep the bead pushed out of the spoke channel. But always be attentive that the tube isn't getting pinched where you are rolling the bead over the rim. On narrow rims you might have to push the valve up into the tire some as you get to that point so that it doesn't interfere with properly seating the tire bead to the rim at that point.

I seldom have to use levers to install a tire. And it's been a good many years since I did, and that was on a 27" tire (630 BSD). Though I have not installed every possible combination. So I'm not saying you never will have to use levers.

And just to brag.... I can remove a tire without levers too using the same method of ensuring the bead is in the spoke channel as I tried to explain above.
Old 06-09-20, 08:08 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hope I bought the right tyres .
the stock ones were 28-622. However the continentals are 37-622
Old 06-09-20, 08:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Size likely not a problem for the rim. But might be for frame clearances.
Old 06-09-20, 08:27 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Rather than beginning with mounting the tire at the valve stem it's easier to finish there. The stem prevents the tire beads from sitting in the center of the rim well and creates a tighter fit. Another trick is to use zip ties (or string, velcro straps, etc.) around the tire to pinch the beads together. You want to do this in at least 8 equally spaced spots and use a little soapy water to help it slide on and with this method start mounting with the stem first . Not very practical when fixing a flat on a ride but new tires are always more difficult to remove/replace than after they have had some miles on them.
Old 06-09-20, 08:29 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Rather than beginning with mounting the tire at the valve stem it's easier to finish there. The stem prevents the tire beads from sitting in the center of the rim well and creates a tighter fit. Another trick is to use zip ties (or string, velcro straps, etc.) around the tire to pinch the beads together. You want to do this in at least 8 equally spaced spots and use a little soapy water to help it slide on. Not very practical when fixing a flat on a ride but new tires are always more difficult to remove/replace than after they have had some miles on them.
ive tried starting at the valve and finishing there. No luck. I’ve got a mechanic coming over tomorrow to help me
Old 06-09-20, 11:25 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
There are many good videos on Youtube with various suggestions. No single suggestion has worked for me. I have had a number of Conti road tires and they have all been difficult to mount but they also tend to be good tires. I have never attempted soapy water to lubricate the bead. I have also never tried worming the tire. Theoretically, it will expand slightly and stretch more easily. I have a bead jack. The VAR type I can carry with but I don't think is it quite as good as the hinged "plier" type. It does help to push the beads together 180 degrees from the section you are trying to finally force on and push the tire around the circumference simultaneously with the hands until they meet (you can find a video that will explain this much better). At the end, I have the wheel on the ground with my knees on the rim closest to me. I have thin gloves (like mechanics gloves) on and I am using the heel of my hands to force the bead over the rim. As my hands slip I am repeatedly readjusting their position. I don't know if I am slowly stretching the bead or if the rest of the tire bead is slowly settling into the middle depression of the rim but eventually the tire will snap/pop in place. Then I fully deflate the tube, push the bead toward the center of the rim sequentially around the tire to be sure the tube is not trapped under the bead and then inflate making sure the bead is correctly seated. I don't think I could do this without gloves because it would be too hard on the skin of my hands. I have recently felt that ending at the stem is advantageous. One can push the stem in to help keep the tube away from the bead. I'd like to hear opinions on the hinged plier type bead jack. It doesn't look as though it would be easy to carry on the bike.
Old 06-10-20, 03:48 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Ok the mechanic came round and it took us 1hr30 mins to do it together . Managed to pop an inner tube in the process but it’s now all sorted. He said it was the most difficult tyre he has ever fitted

should I get some rims which are easier or will they all be difficult?
Old 06-10-20, 07:20 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Gonna get one of these ? Are they any good ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bbb-Cycling.../dp/B00A855QRY
Old 06-10-20, 12:09 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I carry a Kool Stop Bead Jack; it makes mounting difficult tires quite easy. It is similar to the tool you are considering.
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 06-10-20, 06:42 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
too late for now but...

when I get to that last stage I always use a cheap plastic tire lever. But the trick with it is to take the smallest "bite" as possible. And that is after lubing the rim and tire down with spray cleaner, dish soap (90% water) or if on the roadside a squirt from my water bottle.