Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What’s the story with Wabi?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What’s the story with Wabi?

Old 08-31-20, 08:37 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Wabi's are great bikes. I bought mine from Richard, but guess what, they're still the same bikes! I recommend them and would easily buy another. I wish the present owner(s) well.
+1 I bought one from Richard as well as one from the old "New" owners soon after Richard sold the business. That bike was equally good. And I'll add, that I purchased a new freewheel from them a week ago and got it in just a couple/three days.

As for bashing shops or companies on a message board, my view of doing that is pretty dim. I don't like it. It is much better to PM a person who is having an issue rather than airing the laundry in public.

FWIW, years ago when I moved to Arizona, I took my son to a barber in town. It was a shop run by Russians and they were truly old school. Straight razor shaves, hot towels, scissors, you get the picture. Anyway, some azzhole wrote up a fictitious bad review on Yelp about the shop saying that the "female" barber didn't know what she was doing and that the other barbers in the shop berated her openly. The problem? No female barbers worked in the shop and the barbers had known each other for years. That Yelp review killed their new client business literally over night and they did nothing wrong. They did recover but it took months.

I understand the passion we all have for our sport and especially single speed bikes. Let's let the new "New" owner get the benefit of a doubt. He or she has a great brand and a legendary reputation for high ride quality. If the old "New" owners made mistakes then, well, THEY made mistakes, not the new "New" owner.

Let's keep it civil, shall we?

-

Last edited by drlogik; 08-31-20 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-31-20, 01:08 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
The new “New” owners also made some mistakes, and nobody including myself has been uncivil to them. Also, none of the criticism of the old “New” owners was in any way false or misleading. I own a Wabi, which I like a lot, and only wish the best for the new “New” owner, but when they try to justify their mistakes with “everyone makes mistakes,” then I take exception to that attitude.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-31-20 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 06:02 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
who are the NEW new owners ? and what happened to the new owners ? times can be hard in Tulsa
Old 09-04-20, 09:30 AM
Database82

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe (Sold), Bianchi San Jose, Kona Hahanna (Sold)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’ve been trying to buy the Urban Thunder, they said they had one left and I sent them all the specs I wanted about a week ago and never heard back since. So it does seem like the rumors of poor service being true, at least from my perspective. It’s shame too it hit all the marks of what I was looking for supports fat tires, steel, liked the geometry, and it was in the color I wanted.

Last edited by Database82; 09-04-20 at 02:13 PM.