Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Newbie Help

Old 07-13-20, 10:00 PM
harvillo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Newbie Help

1 year into riding. I love my Synapse but would like something that I could use for lightweight touring that can handle big hills yet not be a 25 lb bike. From what I can guess a CX bike May be it? I have my revelation bags. My biggest issue now is gearing. The compact just does t get low enough on the big hills for this aging man.

Any advice would be great. I知 not concerned with the whole steel/carbon. I love my Cannondale. It looks like those wide cassettes mitigate the need for 3 rings? I e also looked at the standard touring long haul trucker, Kona sutra etc. I値l never be hauling around 60 lbs of gear but do need something more upright.

thsnks.
Old 07-14-20, 01:26 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by harvillo
1 year into riding. I love my Synapse but would like something that I could use for lightweight touring that can handle big hills yet not be a 25 lb bike. From what I can guess a CX bike May be it? I have my revelation bags. My biggest issue now is gearing. The compact just does t get low enough on the big hills for this aging man.

Any advice would be great. I知 not concerned with the whole steel/carbon. I love my Cannondale. It looks like those wide cassettes mitigate the need for 3 rings? I e also looked at the standard touring long haul trucker, Kona sutra etc. I値l never be hauling around 60 lbs of gear but do need something more upright.

thsnks.
Well, that's not a good start

Seriously, if you want something more upright you'll need to compare the frame stack and frame reach against your Synapse, as that bike isn't too bad in the stack height.

A carbon bike would be a good place to start weight-wise once you hit those hills. Could be tricky finding low-enough climbing gears on a production bike though (might need to mod something). CyclingAbout has a list of carbon 'touring' bikes.
Old 07-14-20, 07:26 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by harvillo
I love my Synapse but would like something that I could use for lightweight touring that can handle big hills yet not be a 25 lb bike.
I have my revelation bags.
My biggest issue now is gearing. The compact just does t get low enough on the big hills for this aging man.

Any advice would be great. I知 not concerned with the whole steel/carbon. I love my Cannondale.

It looks like those wide cassettes mitigate the need for 3 rings? I値l never be hauling around 60 lbs of gear but do need something more upright.
I think you already own the bike you need. A cx bike isn't going to be more upright. Just install the gearing you need onto your Synapse.

Old 07-14-20, 11:20 AM
RStowe

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove, 1994 Mongoose Rockadile soon to be 26+

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently swapped out my original Kona Rove drive train to Microshift 11-42T with a 36t Wolf Tooth Narrow Wide and it was like getting on a new bike on the big hills. If I had to do it over I might have kept the compact up front, but I can't complain. On a big hill I often have another gear when I think I'm grannied out.
Old 07-14-20, 08:06 PM
pnsathyan

Bikes: cannondale synapse 2016

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I think you already own the bike you need. A cx bike isn't going to be more upright. Just install the gearing you need onto your Synapse.
what is the wheels you have on it ? drivetrain ?