Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

California Wildfires threatening many C&V members’ homes and property

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-23-20, 04:35 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts

Hey all, The California wildfires have been threatening significant portions of the Big Sur area, Santa Cruz mountains, and northern California. A lot of C&V members live in those areas and many have been evacuated already. Here’s hoping that everyone stays safe, heeds evacuation warnings, gets out safely with as much as they can take, or what is most important. Above all your health and safety is paramount. Thoughts, prayers and best wishes for all who are affected or threatened.

Safety for all C&V riders in the area as well, the air is heavily polluted with smoke and particulates so ride with a mask if you have to be out.

Bart

Last edited by mech986; 08-23-20 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For mech986:
Old 08-23-20, 06:38 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Thank you. My brother and his family, including middle son and grandkids, live in Windsor. His middle daughter-in-law's parents lost their home and mom-and-pop auto body repair business in Healdsburg a few years back
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-23-20, 08:02 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I managed to get 5 bikes out, including my 1987 Bianchi you folks helped me out with a few years ago. (Actually, I evacuated it twice. I returned it after an optimist very temporarily convinced me there was no immediate danger.) It is still in my office at UCSC, so it is not out of danger depending on what happens tonight. The house is still there for the moment, but surrounded by fire on 3 sides as of 4pm yesterday. New T-storms are moving in tonight, and I think that will be the end of it.

I just realized it has been a week and 5 hours since this nightmare started. Power went out at 2:30 in the storm, and I could smell smoke within an hour, and started to pack later that morning. Everyone else thought I was paranoid, but in reality I should have gotten a U-haul up there when the getting out was good. My daughter went into the fire zone yesterday afternoon and managed to get one of our recalcitrant cats. We got the dogs and people out last week. More in Foo for the morbidly curious.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 08-23-20, 08:16 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
Hey all, The California wildfires have been threatening significant portions of the Big Sur area, Santa Cruz mountains, and northern California. A lot of C&V members live in those areas and many have been evacuated already. Here’s hoping that everyone stays safe, heeds evacuation warnings, gets out safely with as much as they can take, or what is most important. Above all your health and safety is paramount. Thoughts, prayers and best wishes for all who are affected or threatened.

safety for all C&V riders in the area as well, the air is heavily polluted with smoke and particulates so ride with a mask of you have to be put.

Bart
Amen
Likes For joesch:
Old 08-23-20, 08:20 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I managed to get 5 bikes out, including my 1987 Bianchi you folks helped me out with a few years ago. (Actually, I evacuated it twice. I returned it after an optimist very temporarily convinced me there was no immediate danger.) It is still in my office at UCSC, so it is not out of danger depending on what happens tonight. The house is still there for the moment, but surrounded by fire on 3 sides as of 4pm yesterday. New T-storms are moving in tonight, and I think that will be the end of it.

I just realized it has been a week and 5 hours since this nightmare started. Power went out at 2:30 in the storm, and I could smell smoke within an hour, and started to pack later that morning. Everyone else thought I was paranoid, but in reality I should have gotten a U-haul up there when the getting out was good. My daughter went into the fire zone yesterday afternoon and managed to get one of our recalcitrant cats. We got the dogs and people out last week. More in Foo for the morbidly curious.
Stay safe, our best wishes are with you all
Likes For joesch:
Old 08-23-20, 11:20 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I have a sister-in-law near Petaluma and a niece, her husband, and daughter in the hills of San Mateo. The first time I saw my niece's house I was concerned about wild fires, and the road to evacuate is very steep and wooded. I hope they are using abundant caution.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 08-23-20, 08:26 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986

Safety for all C&V riders in the area as well, the air is heavily polluted with smoke and particulates so ride with a mask if you have to be out.

Bart
Thanks Bart,
I am in Santa Cruz, right at the edge of the UCSC evacuation zone. Packed the trailer and ready to leave as soon as they give the evacuation warning, will not wait for actual evacuation. Your kind thoughts are so welcome.
Cheers,
Nubra

Likes For Nubra:
Old 08-24-20, 04:24 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Our niece lives in Santa Cruz and as last we heard has not been evacuated yet. Then, over in Gilroy , my wife is staying in touch with a woman that runs a rescue center for horses and she managed to get 6 or so of her boarded horses relocated to safer grounds and I am not sure about the other three mares. We sent some food up for some of her other animals and as of 11pm she was still there and trying to get some rest. We have been praying for these folks and their animals , homes and belongings. The Thomas fire started right behind our house a few years ago and it was the first time having a raging fire THAT close to our home. We were evacuated at midnight and leaving our home without knowing what was going to happen was really frightening. I can empathize with these folks, it is real scary and unpredictable. My thoughts and prayers to all who may be facing this tragedy and hope you are OK . Thank you Bartly for putting the spotlight on this and I truly believe in the power of prayer, Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-24-20, 05:36 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
A bike pioneer who lost his home in Bonny Doon:
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/sant...huck-teixeira/
Old 08-24-20, 05:52 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Good thoughts to anyone needing them. 😎

I’m right near Chico now, maybe/probably heading back towards Sacramento soon. It’s been really dark here, during the day, and smells like smoke, pretty bad at times. 😒

I think a few people chose to harvest their harvest now too. Homegrown is pretty plentiful, at good prices. 😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 08-24-20, 11:34 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Our property backs right onto wooded open space (i.e. wildfire country) and we were under an evacuation warning until this morning. It has felt a bit like armageddon, with heat wave, smoke, gusting winds and periodic lightning. Luckily the temperature dropped and the smoke mostly cleared by this afternoon so we are relaxing for the first time in days. Others are not so lucky.
Likes For davester:
Old 08-27-20, 12:13 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Looks like we dodged a bullet this time, but too many friends and colleagues lost their homes to take any solace.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 08-27-20, 08:20 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Looks like we dodged a bullet this time, but too many friends and colleagues lost their homes to take any solace.
No harm in being lucky. 😉

I just got back into Sacramento this evening. The air quality is much better here. 👍

I’m blaming all that roadwork on 99, for the air quality. 🙄😉
Old 08-27-20, 08:55 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Good and hopeful thoughts to all those affected. We've been in our house going on 46 years, thru countless fires, even seen flames from our front yard. Scarry deal. Last year it got within 1.5 miles of us, and we actually started packing up. Besides the cats and obvious paperwork and what photos I could grab, i took the Legnano that I've been riding and loving for 56 years. I also took the '73 Raleigh Super Course, my first build from a found bare frame. The brave firefighters stopped this one, but there will be more. So far so good here, hopefully it will spare you too this time. My brother, in Monterey, near Laguna Seca had to evacuate this past week, which included moving 9 motorcycles to "safe " storage somewhere. He's home now, fingers crossed. Hang in there. Stay safe! Couple of pictures from this season.

The view from our house of the Lake Hughes fire, not as as close as it looks, thankfully.

My nephew is an Atascadero firefighter/EMT. This is his 4WD ambulance, which he calls his "hot rod". He was working the Carmel Valley fire, last time we heard from him.
Likes For Slightspeed: