Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Trek Did I Get from the Vancouver Bike Swap?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-13-20, 02:44 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 133 Posts

There was a bike swap today in Vancouver (it's still on till 2 PM). It's the size of a small parking lot (because it takes place in a parking lot). I think prices were pretty reasonable, and there was enough stuff for me to take home. Some stuff I wanted to take home but I passed. I might end up regretting that in a few weeks but I guess there's always next year. It was fun because there was enough stuff to buy and with the local coops here kind of affected by covid, it was a chance to browse for stuff.

I hadn't intended on buying a frame since I was on my bike, and this is one size smaller than I prefer, but hey, for 40 CAD I can probably make it work. So what is it exactly? Seller wasn't too sure other than "early Trek". The serial number is either 05xxxx or 06xxxx.
There's only one set of bottle bosses. It came with a bottom bracket, which interestingly to me is marked "superbe". No tubing decals, no country of origin.

What year and model do you think?
Old 09-13-20, 03:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Steerer looks really tall for that head tube.
Old 09-13-20, 03:22 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
Decal set is from 1981 or 82, chain stays will indicate whether it was a touring 400 series or perhaps 500. Just a guess, Smiles, MH
Old 09-13-20, 03:23 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Steerer looks really tall for that head tube.
First time I've bought a frame without a headset. I just assumed they belonged together on account of, they were together. I know nothing of fork sizing, if you could educate me I would appreciate it. I will try to take some measurements later when I get a chance.
Old 09-13-20, 03:30 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
I just assumed they belonged together on account of, they were together.
Yeah, it would be weird if they didn't belong together. It may be just fine. Didn't want to startle you. Unless there's visible damage, go ahead and mount/press your headset and go from there. If the steerer is too long, you can always trim it down easily enough. Hopefully, the threads reach.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-13-20, 04:00 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
So much better to have a steerer that is too long, rather than what I always find!

-Will
Likes For Random Tandem:
Old 09-13-20, 04:45 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Serial number?
Old 09-13-20, 06:55 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Originally Posted by madpogue
Serial number?
Appears to be either "053741" or "063741"
Old 09-13-20, 06:58 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Yeah, it would be weird if they didn't belong together. It may be just fine. Didn't want to startle you. Unless there's visible damage, go ahead and mount/press your headset and go from there. If the steerer is too long, you can always trim it down easily enough. Hopefully, the threads reach.
When the fork is inserted into the frame (sans headset) there is about 2" or 4cm extending past the top of the head tube. No part of the unthreaded section of the steerer shows at the top. Does that sound reasonable?
Likes For rgvg:
Old 09-13-20, 07:14 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Both serial numbers are for a 1983 520. Probably 053741, a 19" frame. https://www.vintage-trek.com/images/t...83/83Trek7.jpg

Is the seat post unstuck?

Steerer tube length sounds right.

Last edited by madpogue; 09-13-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 07:47 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Originally Posted by madpogue
Both serial numbers are for a 1983 520. Probably 053741, a 19" frame. https://www.vintage-trek.com/images/t...83/83Trek7.jpg

Is the seat post unstuck?

Steerer tube length sounds right.
Thanks! It does measure out at 19" ctt. I think I'd prefer 21" but given the price it's all good. The seat post isn't stuck. I did neglect to check that before I paid for it but luckily it isn't frozen. If I have enough time and parts I might try to enter this in the clunker challenge, though it's not very clunky. It's in great shape, I think.

Thanks again.
Old 09-13-20, 08:58 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Little more help please. The fork is slightly gouged at the top. I tried to take a picture but it was blurry, and I accidentally pressed video instead of picture,... I can try again tomorrow. Maybe somebody dropped the fork and it landed top first?

Anyway, the tube is not out of round but the gouge has pushed some material towards the center of the tube. Maybe 1 mm or so. it is enough to make putting in a stem a problem.

How to fix? What tools would I need?
Old 09-14-20, 05:22 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@rgvg Exhaust pipe expander. Some are small enough.
Old 09-14-20, 05:39 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Little more help please. The fork is slightly gouged at the top. I tried to take a picture but it was blurry, and I accidentally pressed video instead of picture,... I can try again tomorrow. Maybe somebody dropped the fork and it landed top first?

Anyway, the tube is not out of round but the gouge has pushed some material towards the center of the tube. Maybe 1 mm or so. it is enough to make putting in a stem a problem.

How to fix? What tools would I need?
There are a lot of BF forum members around you surely someone will know what to do or how to help, if this is an old 520, it will be a lovely rider to build up. Also, this may be worth looking at with a bike shop. You'll need a new headset, and depending on how much tube length is needed you may need to cut down and rethread the steering tube anyway.

It was originally a 27" wheel 126mm rear dropout spaced bike, however this was just before they made 520's with Cantilevers so you just need longer reach caliper brakes or center pulls to make this frame work with 700c wheels. Cool find and worth the build up.
Old 09-14-20, 08:17 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
There are a lot of BF forum members around you surely someone will know what to do or how to help, if this is an old 520, it will be a lovely rider to build up. Also, this may be worth looking at with a bike shop. You'll need a new headset, and depending on how much tube length is needed you may need to cut down and rethread the steering tube anyway.

It was originally a 27" wheel 126mm rear dropout spaced bike, however this was just before they made 520's with Cantilevers so you just need longer reach caliper brakes or center pulls to make this frame work with 700c wheels. Cool find and worth the build up.
I haven't had the pleasure of meeting any other BF members around here. Or I might have and not known they were on here. I guess you could file me under "socially awkward".

I knew I would regret passing up on some stuff at the swap, like longer reach calipers or center pulls....

I'll try to take the fork to the coop when there's a chance. Their hours are still limited due to covid, but I guess I could try some bike shops as well.

Thanks all.
Old 09-14-20, 09:27 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure of meeting any other BF members around here. Or I might have and not known they were on here. I guess you could file me under "socially awkward".

I knew I would regret passing up on some stuff at the swap, like longer reach calipers or center pulls....

I'll try to take the fork to the coop when there's a chance. Their hours are still limited due to covid, but I guess I could try some bike shops as well.

Thanks all.
Well I may be overstepping the statement a bit, I believe there are plenty of Seattle BF members, and like an idiot, I forget there is a bit of a COVID lockdown between the countries right now. There are several Canadians though that have chimed in quite a bit here though.
Old 09-14-20, 03:07 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts

Thanks all.
I know there are a few BF members here in Vancouver - I've even met one in person. I went to this swap meet yesterday for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised. There were some interesting frames for sale, including RIH, Gazelle, CBS and Derek Bailey. I managed to find some useful bits including some TA/Stronglight 49D cranks and rings.
Old 09-14-20, 03:18 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
As another Vancouver resident C&V member:

I did not make it to the Swapmeet - I meant to but then .... life. I am glad to hear that there was interesting stuff. The COVID19 bike boom and restriction at the co-ops has made this a curious time for C&V. I have a good stockpile of medium quality parts and bits, and I am a long-time volunteer at the co-ops, which rarely seems to make a difference. If you are stuck for something, let me know and we may be able to work out a swap.

If the steerer on your fork is close, you can always add a few spacers, and cutting it shorter is not hard (just put a few threaded pieces on the steerer below the cut so they can chase the threads clean when you remove them after the cut). If it is much too short and you need to cut threads lower on the steerer, both OCB and the UBC Bike Kitchen have the dies and tools to do this, but for now you cannot do that work yourself (no DIY repairs because of COVID19).

-Will
Old 09-14-20, 04:07 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke7777
I know there are a few BF members here in Vancouver - I've even met one in person. I went to this swap meet yesterday for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised. There were some interesting frames for sale, including RIH, Gazelle, CBS and Derek Bailey. I managed to find some useful bits including some TA/Stronglight 49D cranks and rings.
Was this the wheelmen swap or is this something new? I went to the wheelmen swap a few years ago and it was mostly around balloon tires but I found a few road parts intermixed in there.
Old 09-14-20, 04:40 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Vancouver swap meet

Originally Posted by Narhay
Was this the wheelmen swap or is this something new? I went to the wheelmen swap a few years ago and it was mostly around balloon tires but I found a few road parts intermixed in there.
The event poster says "6th Annual" - here is their ad on Craigslist: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc...192451899.html
If I do a search for the address, I find Terminal City Riders: https://terminalcityriders.ca/
Looking through the photos of past events, one wouldn't expect to find too much road stuff, but there was some this year and it did seem to be selling reasonably well. One fellow who had several interesting frames for sale did manage to sell all but one or two. There's no fee for sellers, which I'm sure encourages folks to haul out whatever odds and ends they've accumulated and sell them cheap. I might try it next year.

Last edited by Duke7777; 09-14-20 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-14-20, 05:12 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
The event poster says "6th Annual" - here is their ad on Craigslist: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc...192451899.html
If I do a search for the address, I find Terminal City Riders: https://terminalcityriders.ca/
Looking through the photos of past events, one wouldn't expect to find too much road stuff, but there was some this year and it did seem to be selling reasonably well. One fellow who had several interesting frames for sale did manage to sell all but one or two. There's no fee for sellers, which I'm sure encourages folks to haul out whatever odds and ends they've accumulated and sell them cheap. I might try it next year.
I remember you had a part or two spare in your basement.
Old 09-14-20, 09:59 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

This is the third one I've gone. The first time I went they were still up on Hastings. Last year I bought some things as well but this year I got more. I think it has been getting better. If it weren't for covid I would have stayed longer and gawked a little more. I hope it's back bigger and even better next year.