Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Was I duped by a dealer?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Was I duped by a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-23, 08:23 AM
greenyone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was I duped by a dealer?

Opinions and suggestions please. I'm new to the sport. I bought a brand new bike from a local/shop dealer on 06/29/2023. I went to the manufacturers website to register my purchase only to find out that the bike is actually a 2021 model. The dealer never informed me that I was buying what I consider 'new old stock'. With any product where models are separated by the year/date of manufacture I feel like this should be something that should have been specified by the dealer. I mean it's not posted on a window sticker like a car so maybe I was naive for thinking I was getting a 2023. Anyway, here is my issue. I really wanted a bike that had a dropper post and the dealer informed me that I'd have to step up to a more expensive model to get that feature on a stock bike, otherwise I'd have to buy a dropper after the fact and have it installed. He suggested that it's a $300-$400 option and that's the main difference between the two models. I took his word for it and bought the lesser model with the intension of adding a dropper myself down the road. Now having found out it's a 2021 model and that the newer version of the bike comes with the dropper and is THE SAME EXACT PRICE on the manufacturers website, I feel like he took me for a ride. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions???
Old 07-03-23, 08:55 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 642 Posts
IMO, I hope he at least used Vaseline. If he has any integrity, he'll allow you to return the bike, but don't count on it. Dealers are going to fight for every cent in this post-pandemic slowdown.
Old 07-03-23, 09:29 AM
greenyone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
IMO, I hope he at least used Vaseline. If he has any integrity, he'll allow you to return the bike, but don't count on it. Dealers are going to fight for every cent in this post-pandemic slowdown.
He just informed me that it was a 'carryover' bike and that he can still order them. Followed up by a bunch of information regarding shipping and assembly and how he doesn't charge for that on new bikes. He then went on to offer me the dropper post at his cost with free installation and a free future 'tune up' that he values at $129.00. I suppose that seems reasonable but it still kinda chaps my bottom that I wasn't told the bike was a 2021 'carryover' at the time of purchase. Not sure if that would have changed my decision on the bike or not, but that really seems like something a dealer should be up front about. Am I wrong?
Old 07-03-23, 09:49 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3116 Post(s)
Liked 6,746 Times in 3,861 Posts
What bike are we talking about?

Old 07-03-23, 09:50 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5057 Post(s)
Liked 8,332 Times in 3,934 Posts
The 2021 and 2023 bike are the same price on the manufacturer's website, but it sounds like you got a discounted price on the 2021. If the bikes are otherwise the same, except for the dropper, I'm not seeing a huge issue here. It also sounds like the LBS is trying to appease you with a discounted price on adding a dropper, and free service.

IMO, relax and go ride your new bike.
Old 07-03-23, 09:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 642 Posts
Big deal on the "free" future tune; many dealers provide that with every new purchase. Good luck (although you're probably OK since many "new, improved" models are just different color paint jobs).
Old 07-03-23, 09:55 AM
greenyone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The 2021 and 2023 bike are the same price on the manufacturer's website, but it sounds like you got a discounted price on the 2021. If the bikes are otherwise the same, except for the dropper, I'm not seeing a huge issue here. It also sounds like the LBS is trying to appease you with a discounted price on adding a dropper, and free service.

IMO, relax and go ride your new bike.
I'm relaxed as they come. But he did NOT give me a discount on the 2021.
Old 07-03-23, 10:05 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by greenyone
I'm relaxed as they come. But he did NOT give me a discount on the 2021.
If the 2021 and 2023 are the same list price, and you got the 2021 for less than the 2023 model (the one with the dropper, right?), then you got a discounted price. Maybe I'm missing something from your description.
Old 07-03-23, 10:38 AM
greenyone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
If the 2021 and 2023 are the same list price, and you got the 2021 for less than the 2023 model (the one with the dropper, right?), then you got a discounted price. Maybe I'm missing something from your description.
I got the 2021 without the dropper for the same listed price at the 2023 that comes with it. So basically I feel as though I should have received a discount on the 2021...but I did not. Does that make sense?
Old 07-03-23, 10:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by greenyone
I got the 2021 without the dropper for the same listed price at the 2023 that comes with it. So basically I feel as though I should have received a discount on the 2021...but I did not. Does that make sense?
I get it now. I can see where your frustration is coming from.
Old 07-03-23, 10:59 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 102 Posts
bikes aren't cars, and even cars don't change every model year.

The differences in tech between a 2021 and a 2023 bike are probably/definitely near zero. Especially if you didn't immediately see it. The people for whom these differences are important know the differences and will immediately identify them on a bike.

To offer some broader context: the entire bike manufacturer-distributor-reseller chain has been entirely destroyed by corona, the pandemic bike boom, and the following tanking of demand. every manufacturer was caught off guard by pandemic demand (no one had learned from the 1970s bike boom, I guess), went into crisis over the undersupply of materials, then overproduced to fill it, only to be stuck with overstock afterward, ie now, ie you. I'm not saying you personally are responsible for compensating for this global phenomenon, but this is the situation, and you shouldn't feel like you are the only one "suffering". all manufacturers, distributors, and resellers have overstock and understock as a result of the global crisis of the last few years. and all are trying to make a living. your problem is not really that unusual.

An honest set of questions: do you feel existentially wronged? then go for it and find a solution at all costs. Can you honestly say that the actual difference between a 2021 and 2023 makes a difference to you, in terms of performance or price? if so, I assume you are a pro racer; have your team manager deal with it. Do you feel a bit unhappy that you didn't do your research beforehand and go to the reseller informed about the "differences" between a 2021 and 2023? I leave the response up to you.

If you are unhappy about your bike shop, shop somewhere else. and maybe double check dealer "claims" before you buy.

Last edited by Frkl; 07-03-23 at 11:03 AM.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 07-03-23, 11:25 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
In the 1980's we didn't have the internet to check things out. We went to the outfitter nearby and trusted them to be telling us the truth. I was fortunate enough have a good outfitter. He showed me how to light the Peak One stove on the steps of his store. He benefitted from many purchases.

This shop should have told you what you what model you were purchasing. They will forever lose your trust. As someone wiser that me said once, "you only have one opportunity to make a good first impression".