Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 06:08 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,055 Posts
So in the infinite wisdom of someone that does not see a big picture from the little guys perspective, my employer decided we had too many programmers but decided to add more projects to the calendar. We decided that after this week, we are going to do our best to keep work to as close to 40 hours as much as we can. I have a major project coming to a close and decided my 40 hr work effort will start monday....so I took an hour to get in 17 miles and 1K ft of climbing, before I do some more work tonight.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-09-24 at 04:18 AM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-08-24, 10:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2691 Post(s)
Liked 5,952 Times in 3,055 Posts
Did intervals on ZWIFT and then did a free ride and Garmin Connect told me I was over extending again. Seriously? I only hit 695 Watts on the final sprint.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-09-24, 07:22 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

There is nothing like having a 3 hr meeting with the audit group on a Friday that starts at 2 pm EST, but was only supposed to be 30 mins because 1 person said something completely out of scope that took 2.5 hrs to convince them that our team was not responsible for that process. I hate people that can't keep their mouth shut in these meetings that should not be on the call.

So to take out my irritation, I did 39 miles and 3200 ft of climbing on Rouvy

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-09-24, 07:26 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
There is nothing like having a 3 hr meeting with the audit group on a Friday that starts at 2 pm EST, but was only supposed to be 30 mins because 1 person said something completely out of scope that took 2.5 hrs to convince them that our team was not responsible for that process. I hate people that can't keep their mouth shut in these meetings that should not be on the call.

So to take out my irritation, I did 39 miles and 3200 ft of climbing on Rouvy
that crap happens all to often. some folks dont know how to stay in their lane.
Old 02-09-24, 07:36 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Troul
that crap happens all to often. some folks don't know how to stay in their lane.

If I could have reached through the phone, I would have strangled this dude. We ended up getting his boss on the phone and the group lead of the people that were actually responsible for it and it took them 45 mins to finally shut it down. The back channel conversations were not pretty and this idiot was told not to get on any of the calls specifically because he is stupid. His boss was in his car with his family as they were on their way out of town due to a death in the family. He was not a happy camper about having to get on this call.

As you can tell I am still amped and the dog just brought me his leash, so I guess it time for his walk.

Old 02-09-24, 08:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
If I could have reached through the phone, I would have strangled this dude. We ended up getting his boss on the phone and the group lead of the people that were actually responsible for it and it took them 45 mins to finally shut it down. The back channel conversations were not pretty and this idiot was told not to get on any of the calls specifically because he is stupid. His boss was in his car with his family as they were on their way out of town due to a death in the family. He was not a happy camper about having to get on this call.

As you can tell I am still amped and the dog just brought me his leash, so I guess it time for his walk.
May the dog take you on a relaxing walk

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-09-24, 08:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Quick ride to determine if a horrible noise is coming from the Orbea or the Wahoo Kickr. It turned out to be the Kickr - again! It was sent in once already. Time for a different trainer. The Orbea is a stellar climbing bike - super lite, but needs a couple lower gears.

Last edited by rsbob; 02-09-24 at 08:19 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-09-24, 09:00 PM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
19 mile first ride on new bike.

Took a vacay day because the weather was just too nice. We had crazy cold weather, then I got COVID, and finally felt like getting back out there for an easy ride.
Likes For McFlyRides:
Old 02-09-24, 09:03 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by rsbob
May the dog take you on a relaxing walk
Had a nice walk and my wife went and got me an oreo blizzard, . Feel much better now.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-10-24, 03:34 PM
jaxgtr

got in 58 miles and 2300 ft of altitude indoors today.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-10-24, 08:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

38 miles 1200’ and 26 PRs. Man am I whipped.

And downshifted brifter gears with my right hand while eating an energy bar with my left. Such amazing talent. Take that down tube aficionados (I still have two down tube shifter bikes - but they are not my primary rides any longer.)

Last edited by rsbob; 02-11-24 at 12:11 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-11-24, 06:39 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 246 Posts

40km on a beautiful spring-like day with my daughter today.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 02-11-24, 06:20 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 270 Posts
Road the short Pantani Gravel/Road ride today. I missed a turn so only the 32 mile route. My Edge 1030 took 45 minutes to find the satellites is my excuse. But it started raining so all was good. Long 15 percent gravel/dirt climbs. Few fast down hills. The Domane with GR1 tires worked. A larger than 34 tooth cassette would have been nice on the climbs. I want a gravel adventure bike.

Fenders work.

Edit: The front of the rear fender is taped to the seat stay bridge with piece of Flex Tape for Gravel riding. Lessons the fender bouncing.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 02-12-24 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 02-11-24, 06:36 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 417 Posts
I was mostly stuck indoors all this past week, because of snow and low temperatures. However, this weekend was nice(albeit a bit cool,) so I got a double header of racing in. Yesterday's race was a short 10 miler that I won with a perfectly timed attack on the final lap. It was also part of a small 3 race series, so one 2nd place and two 1st place finishes were enough for the O/A in the series.

I then turned around and raced again this morning, this was part of a different series. The course this morning was 22 miles and 1700' of gain. This one is quite a bit more competitive and I ended up 3rd place in expert class, in my age group. I had a minor cold earlier in the week, so even today I wasn't exactly in top form, it was all about managing the race. The start had a couple miles of 2-track and paved road, so there was a solid pace line at the beginning. I couldn't quite stay at the front, but raced myself back onto the podium by the finish.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 02-11-24, 07:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Non-humble brag: Yesterday the weather cooperated and got in a 38 miler. Since it was a short ride, I upped the pace. Was crossing the 3 mile 520 floating bridge (Strava segment) into Seattle at 21.7 MPH when I heard what sounded like I was losing air from my rear tire with the dreaded whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.. Didn’t feel flat so kept going. Backed off a bit and heard, whoosh, whoosh again and looked back and it was a 45ish guy on my rear wheel - with his freewheel making the sound when he coasted. Man it was loud. When we finished the crossing, I commented on his freewheel and he said it was a DT Swiss. I was kind of shocked how loud it was, and was even more shocked this guy was on my wheel since that hasn’t happened for 30 years. And no, he didn’t ask to draft me and no, I didn’t care. So much for pushing 70. Full disclosure, it was a carbon bike with rim brakes and I wasn’t trying for a PR.

Old 02-12-24, 07:26 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 246 Posts

Fastest ever non-downhill 40km ride today.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 02-12-24, 06:58 PM
jaxgtr

Oh darn, the rain came and I could not mow the grass, shucks.... got in 22 and 1K of climbing inside

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-13-24, 05:03 PM
Jedneck

Bikes: Quintanna roo kilo & orbea onix

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts

16 mile commute. Started out with 4-5” of wet heavy slop snow for 1st 6 miles. Met snowplow and had clearish roads for last 10 miles.
Likes For Jedneck:
Old 02-13-24, 10:15 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 3,164 Times in 1,714 Posts
finally out and about in 61-62 degree weather in sunny san diego. trying to recommit to riding as all too many life/work things have minimized the
riding time and drained the battery in the last 12 months. 45-spot with a handful of semi-decent efforts but nothing too strenuous.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-13-24, 10:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

12 fake miles on my first fake race on ZWIFT - Richmond. I wanted to race in a category one lower than what I was slotted in, but the ZWIFT gods had other ideas. As a result, I spent 3/4s of the race trying to keep 40th place out of 52 with my heart rate between 177-182. Those races are brutal.

Think I saw the lead group for about 10 seconds until they were gone forever. Please pass the humble pie.

The amazing thing was that my lightest carbon bike was on the Kickr - and still got spanked.

Last edited by rsbob; 02-13-24 at 11:13 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-14-24, 11:32 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

I'm going to brag a little bit on this one, but...holding zone 2 power was even easier than I've been accustomed to on yesterday's trainer session, so I decided to do a FTP test today. Not the highest FTP of my riding career, but probably a watts/kg PR for me. Anyway, 345 watt FTP w/a 4.2 watts/kg ratio. I've actually been mostly just doing base training, with the odd race as an intensity day, so I'm excited to see what I can do with a bit more structured high-intensity work. Anyway, almost 12 fake miles.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 02-14-24, 11:40 PM
Sierra_rider

12 fake miles on my first fake race on ZWIFT - Richmond. I wanted to race in a category one lower than what I was slotted in, but the ZWIFT gods had other ideas. As a result, I spent 3/4s of the race trying to keep 40th place out of 52 with my heart rate between 177-182. Those races are brutal.

Think I saw the lead group for about 10 seconds until they were gone forever. Please pass the humble pie.

The amazing thing was that my lightest carbon bike was on the Kickr - and still got spanked.
Those virtual races don't have age classes do they? I mean this in the best way possible, but you're probably destroying most cyclists that are your age. Not to mention, that I suspect a lot of weight doping goes on with virtual racing.

Surprisingly enough, I've never done one of those Zwift races. Just never quite lines up with what sort of workout I want to do that particular day. I'll have to do one before winter is over.
Old 02-15-24, 11:13 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Those virtual races don't have age classes do they? I mean this in the best way possible, but you're probably destroying most cyclists that are your age. Not to mention, that I suspect a lot of weight doping goes on with virtual racing.

Surprisingly enough, I've never done one of those Zwift races. Just never quite lines up with what sort of workout I want to do that particular day. I'll have to do one before winter is over.
I believe there may be age categories but I signed up for the breakdown of race results after the fact on ZWIFT Power - yet another site aligned with ZWIFT. I will see how I fair the next time and completely get about training schedules and fitting it in. From what I witnessed, when the flag drops, people are full gas from the start. No rollout, no riding as a pack with attacks (at least from my vantage - the rear) and little cooperation for drafting, not that I have ever noticed any advantage with drafting since it is so subtle. Let me know and thanks for the vote of confidence.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-15-24, 07:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Did a whopping (I’m kidding) 18 fake miles, one third anaerobic, one third threshold, and one third Tempo. Was getting used to my new ZWIFT Hub One so needed to put it through its paces. Rest day tomorrow as am helping at a health clinic all day.

Old 02-15-24, 11:38 PM
Sierra_rider

I believe there may be age categories but I signed up for the breakdown of race results after the fact on ZWIFT Power - yet another site aligned with ZWIFT. I will see how I fair the next time and completely get about training schedules and fitting it in. From what I witnessed, when the flag drops, people are full gas from the start. No rollout, no riding as a pack with attacks (at least from my vantage - the rear) and little cooperation for drafting, not that I have ever noticed any advantage with drafting since it is so subtle. Let me know and thanks for the vote of confidence.
I think the Zwift races are shorter, so to be expected. I know when I do my outdoor XC mtb races, it's often balls to the wall right out of the start chute. The series I've been doing with the 1.5 hour races, I often find myself doing 400-500 watts in the opening miles of the race, just to stay near the front. If I can hold that to the first descent/technical section, then I know the rest of the race is going to be fine, but the absurdity of starting a 1.5 hour effort at 500 watts isn't lost on me.

Did a whopping (I’m kidding) 18 fake miles, one third anaerobic, one third threshold, and one third Tempo. Was getting used to my new ZWIFT Hub One so needed to put it through its paces. Rest day tomorrow as am helping at a health clinic all day.
You like the Zwift Hub? I'm considering getting another trainer and was thinking of the Wahoo Kikr core with the Zwift Hub. My Tacx has been on really good behavior lately, so I'm hating it less, but I can actually justify 2 trainers(leave one at work for the 3 days a week that I'm not home.) Right now I lug the Tacx back and forth between work/home, but that's not terribly convenient. I already have a bike that I leave at work, so I'm halfway to having 2 setups anyway.

One of my buddies just got the (now defunct) Zwift trainer with the Zwift Hub, although he ran into some interference issues with it and his wife's bike. I guess there is some tab that comes off her frame and was rubbing the outer plastic part of the Zwift hub. Don't tell the manufacturer of it, but I ended up turning the outer plastic of it down on my lathe. If that doesn't work for him, I'll make him a custom spacer out of aluminum. He's got 12 speed, I think she has some lower-spec 10 speed, so the hub is a really good idea for their household.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.