Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Throttle v & controller v ,, which should i go with

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 03:00 PM
rick kimura

Bikes: repco MTB 26" + sram 2 speed automatix hub , road king cruiser 26" + lifepo4 48v x 12ah + 200w motor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

> Hi , I need a throttle for my new build . It will have ;
> * A 36v motor which , with the right controller to match ,,,;run off my 48v battery
>
> Is it important that a throttle matches the voltage of the motor ,,,or ,,,the battery ? OR can i use any voltage throttle ?
>
> I noticed there are 24v , 36v , 48v , throttles .
>
>
> My next question is ; the controller im currently using (on my other bike) from my orig conv kit had a 36v battery , however , the controller having 61v caps made it possible to handle 48v as well . I intend to use the same 48v battery on both bikes by swapping it over , depending on which bike I want to ride .
>
> * would a 36v controller , providing its capacitors are 48v compatible , do the same job or should I just go buy a 48v controller and be done with it ?
> Im thinking , maybe a 36v controller may have an edge over the 48v in this case (just my thoughts on it only)

thanks rick
Old 07-31-15, 06:25 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I don't see how a throttle would care what battery you have, it just needs to hook up to the controller. Maybe if it had little lights to tell you the state of charge, the voltage would be important, but not for the function of the throttle itself.

Sounds like your 36v contoller will work fine. Check your voltage specifications on your charger and your BMS for the battery - you will be doing a lot more than 48 volts. My 36v battery charges at 42 volts. A typical 48v battery will charge at around 55volts.
Old 07-31-15, 10:11 AM
rick kimura

Bikes: repco MTB 26" + sram 2 speed automatix hub , road king cruiser 26" + lifepo4 48v x 12ah + 200w motor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your right , I was looking at a set of those with the lights to indicate charge , but have decided to go with these . ebike 24V 36V 48V 72V Throttle Speed Throttle Twist Speed Throttle Electric Scooter ebike Throttle Grip electric bike parts-in Electric Bicycle Motor from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group