Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Roof Rack Carrier Style Options

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 12:21 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

I've recently wound up with a new-to-me Fusion that came with an Inno square bar roof rack system. Looking around, I notice there are quite a few options on the actual carriers that go on the system, generally varying between front wheel on and front wheel off. I'm curious as to which people prefer more, and why. I do have multiple bikes, a mountain bike, a dirt rail trail setup road bike, and the actual road bike, if one system is easier to setup between different rides. Taking the front wheel off is no concern on any of them.

I am set on using the roof system. I'm coming from an old Blazer, where I just left the back seats down and loaded the bike in the back, so the slight fuel mileage hit is certainly not a concern over the 14MPG that thing got. I use a Saris trunk mounted racks on the girlfriend's car, and I've really never cared for the perceived lack of stability nor how well it actually holds the bikes on the rack itself. I've got no interest in adding a trailer hitch, and I've been rear ended enough to not like having bikes there for either of those options anyways.
Old 12-05-15, 05:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
I've always preferred fork mount systems.

They lower the overall profile and might save on air drag somewhat, but my real reason is height.

I can easily lift and mount a bike using the fork blade and someplace on the frame, and the bike will stay put once the fork is on the mount's axle. The fork blade is a nice place to hold the frame because it gives me good control against the bike torquing out of my grip.

With both wheels on, the fork is now one foot higher, and out of my reach on many cars, so I find the wheels-on racks harder to use. But I'm sure that many others have equally valid reasons to go the other way.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-05-15, 05:30 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I had a yakima front loader, wheel on, and a cheap thule fork mount I used the yakima for my bikes and the thule when I needed to carry two. If this is something you are going to use once a month then it isn't as big of a deal to take the wheel off but doing it twice a week sucks plus you still have to stick the wheel somewhere. The advantage of the fork mount is they seem more stable but in reality the little bit of moving the bikes do with the wheel on racks doesn't hurt anything, you just have to get over it. Besides not having the pull the front wheel off all the time the big advantage of the wheel on racks is they work with any axle standards without using funky adapters. Thru axles are pretty much the norm now on mtn bikes and are starting to show up on road bikes. Some wheel on racks will require some adjustments to switch from one wheel size to another, my yakima did, and some don't like a thule sidearm. I'd avoid the style that hold the bike by the frame. Besides there being some odd frames that might not fit they also rub the paint.
Old 12-05-15, 08:05 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

They lower the overall profile and might save on air drag somewhat, but my real reason is height.
I'm pretty sure that it will be useful for someone to know, and I hope it's appropriate, that I have two BMW fork-mount racing bike racks for sale on ebay.
Old 12-05-15, 09:13 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I'm pretty sure that it will be useful for someone to know, and I hope it's appropriate, that I have two BMW fork-mount racing bike racks for sale on ebay.
I just left mine on my BMW when I traded it in. I didn't think there would be owners interested in buying mine. Hopefully you find someone and it's easier than I thought.
Old 12-05-15, 10:21 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I bought a Thule Criterion upright mount when I got a bike with a 15mm thru axle fork and wanted to retain the opposing QR tray-mount for a second bike. I was reluctant to put faith in the "brace-bar" but haven't had any issues as yet. (4 months)
Old 12-06-15, 01:38 AM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have always used fork mounts, for over 15 years now. Very solid, even at high speeds, driving long distances. For some reason it just bothers me to see bikes on a rack with front wheel on, sitting up so high, and often wiggling back and forth. That said, a couple of my mtb's now have the newer thru-axle that may require an adapter? Not sure how that works. Haven't needed to transport them as I've been living overseas.
Old 12-06-15, 09:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I liked when cars had raingutters.. 1 low cost rack Had wheel trays the length..

X uprights, each wing nut tightened hooks grabbing down tubes ..

Wheels, with Mudguards, (This is Oregon after-all ) remain in place.. [And Touring Low Rider front Racks]

Without gutters there are so many adapters needed to use on each make and model of car
Leaving it on is probably a Good solution.. at least the cross bars

you have to buy something else to adapt to your next, And the bars with the next car anyhow . ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-06-15 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-06-15, 01:00 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I didn't think there would be owners interested in buying mine. Hopefully you find someone and it's easier than I thought.
I hope so. They're good quality, but I'll probably use a trailer-hitch model on the back of my SUV, so I don't need them. If they don't sell I can give them to goodwill or something.
Old 12-06-15, 06:11 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnroads
...it just bothers me to see bikes on a rack with front wheel on, sitting up so high...
The highest point on my bike is the saddle at 97cm. With the front wheel off and the forks in the holder the rear end of the saddle is 94 cm high. Not a huge diff.
Old 12-07-15, 11:58 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the replies! Seems like the fork mount is the slight favorite, especially as taking a wheel on and off isn't much of a concern to me. It'll give me something to look for deals on over the next couple months, as I have yet to try out this snow biking thing!
Old 12-07-15, 12:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just don't leave the front wheel leaning alongside the car and drive off without it !
Old 12-07-15, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Just don't leave the front wheel leaning alongside the car and drive off without it !
Heh. Started to do that once after a hard event ride. Fortunately, someone alerted me to the mistake after only a few feet.
Old 12-07-15, 01:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

And the car/bike(s) combo with a fork mount system looks
the coolest.
Old 12-07-15, 07:45 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
The highest point on my bike is the saddle at 97cm. With the front wheel off and the forks in the holder the rear end of the saddle is 94 cm high. Not a huge diff.
Yes, but it's easy to drop the seatpost if you're going any distance at all. But mainly it's the more direct and solid connection to the rack obtained with the fork mount that is so appealing.
Old 12-07-15, 09:17 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I've had both kind of roof racks. I drive fast plus have been in so every strong near hurricane type winds. The fork mount is substantially sturdier feeling.
Old 12-08-15, 12:55 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts

Wheel on racks hold plenty strong as shown by my pic. That is what happens when your cable company are idiots that refuse to hang their lines high enough to keep them from being knocked loose by garbage trucks. That happened TWICE yes TWICE. It is also why I use a hitch rack now.