Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Using 36v battery with kit that had 48v battery

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 12:07 PM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm thinking of hooking up my 36v Bionx lithium battery (that no longer has a working motor) to an older Ebike Kits geared motor that no longer has a good battery. The Ebike kit motor came with 48v sla batteries.

I know NOT to swap chargers - I just want to try running the 48v motor with the 36v battery. Most of the Ebike kits today come with a 36/48v compatible controller. I don't see what harm I can do unless maybe the motor is going to pull higher amps when being powered by lower voltage. It's been many years since I had electrical/electronics theory.

My guess is I can connect right off the Bionx battery hot leads before its controller board and pull 36v there to the other controller, but leave the Bionx circuit board attached for charging - disconnect the motor leads and charge the battery as before.

Any helpful advice? Will pulling juice directly from the battery have any effect on the still attached controller board? Should I maybe make a quick-connect that allows me to disconnect the Bionx controller when using the battery?
Old 12-30-15, 12:16 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I suspect it won't work, unless you are real good at electronics and such, the battery, controller, motor all communicate/do a start up check with each other before things happen...
Old 12-30-15, 10:12 PM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, I had a little time this evening, and tried it out. Weird thing - the Bionx kit has a 36v charger and that's what I used to charge the battery, but I swear when I put a meter on the battery it was putting out something closer to 48v.

I rigged up a temporary wiring harness - took off the circuit Bionx included in the battery pack, and ran the pos/neg terminals to the pos/neg controller leads - and it worked fine. Really well, in fact. I just spent the last hour cruising around the hood having a great old time.

I bought this old geared EbikeKits motor on a 3G trike knowing the battery was toast, and I had the Bionx battery from another trike on which the motor was apparently burned up. I just studied the wires and hooked 'em up, and it wails. Peels rubber if you twist the throttle too hard.

I posted in a different thread a question about a little red wire that was disconnected inside the battery pack. I'm wondering now if the Bionx motor is okay, but wasn't working due to the thin red wire that is disconnected. First time I went inside the battery pack tonight - I was assuming the motor was burned up, now I gotta find out if maybe it was just this wire.

I guess I answered my own question: works and works really well. The remaining question is whether I'm going to burn something up, but with a good hour riding around, I did not have any trouble.
Old 01-08-16, 11:58 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I believe the full charge reading for a 36V battery is 41-42V. if it's any higher than that, it's likely not a 36V battery.
Old 01-09-16, 09:43 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
As above, the "usual" charge for the BionX lithium battery is 4.2 V, so 10s (series) is 42 volts fully charged. Also, I'm pretty sure that BionX used direct drive motors for all their kits; if so, they are bulletproof, so good chance you can revive it.