Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

WTB Resolute vs. Rene Herse Hurricane Ridge vs. Ultradynamico Rosé

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 03:08 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts

As many of us are, I'm looking for the sweet spot in rolling resistance, volume, and tread. I love the volume of the WTB Riddler in 700x45, but the plentiful small knobs make them feel like a drag at times and in the mud can get a bit slippery. These three tires coming in around 42mmlook to be faster with harder knobs and skinnier profile. I'd like to keep them knobby enough for mud and occasional CX races. If anyone has any experience with these your thoughts would be appreciated.

Right now I'm thinking the WTB Resolute rolls best with it's center ridges but I'm very interested in the Rene Herse Hurricane Ridge 700x42 as well as the Ultradynamico Rosé as it is beautiful. hahah.

Thoughts and experiences with these tires would be appreciated!
Old 04-26-21, 07:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
I used Resolute tires for a little over a year and liked them a lot overall. They feel plenty fast on pavement and they work fine for my level of local singletrack riding(twisty flat river bottom wooded trails).
The sidewalls weep sealant like crazy. Its a very common complaint for every WTB tuebeless tire Ive seen online- reviews on their site as well as vendors all have an overwhelming number of complaints about sidewalls. The tradeoff is that the sidewalls are really supple.

I heavily considered their new SG2 model of Resolute since they directly say it addresses the nearly universal complaint about weak sidewalls and sidewall sealant weeping. But at the time those only came in black and I wanted tan wall tires. Once I work thru the 43mm Panaracer GK SS tires I have, Ill end up looking to see if they have the Resolute SG2 model in tan wall yet and maybe give it a try.
Old 04-26-21, 08:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
I have used the standard (tan sidewall) Resolutes for almost two years and been very happy with them - and unlike mstateglfr , I have no issue with weeping sidewalls. (I use Orange Seal.)

Haven't tried the Hurricane Ridge, but my LBS owner has used them and reported that the Resolutes are faster - if that matters to you. Though, given my experience with their Bon Jon Pass tires, I suspect the HR might give longer life than the Resolutes - which would help compensate for the higher price.

I'm a bit put off by Ultradynamico's pricing, and (especially) by the twee marketing which features some hairy dude who goes by various pseudonyms. It's all just a bit precious, and I would feel like a d-bag running their tires.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-26-21, 08:20 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm a bit put off by Ultradynamico's pricing, and (especially) by the twee marketing which features some hairy dude who goes by various pseudonyms. It's all just a bit precious, and I would feel like a d-bag running their tires.
Old 04-26-21, 01:22 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Test after test shows WTB rolling like crap against apple-apples tires. The other two tires are basically the same tires (std casing / JFF) made by the same panaracer. For some reason the Rene's test either the same as the GravelKing SKs or worse - I'm guessing its the knobs breaking in. The Rene will deal will mud for a few more pedal strokes and give you some space over sharp rocks. The Rose might roll a touch better.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...gravel-reviews
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1991044987
https://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/v3/24/2...elrr-large.jpg
https://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/v3/25/2...original.jpg?1

If you're on a muddy train, get the Rene. If crushed rock/gravel, the Ultradynamico/Gravel King / etc.
Note: All three of these companies basically make the same tire in their lineup with just different casings / knobs/ sizing. You can compare similar models

FWIW, I just played this game after finding the Schwalbe 50c changed to a slower build, the 2.1 mtb tires too big for my frame, the GK SC tread useless..... Maxxis Rambler or Pirelli M are both cheaper than the Ultrdynamico and Rene

Last edited by jfranci3; 04-26-21 at 01:32 PM.
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 04-26-21, 09:55 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Yeah my experience with WTB and Rene Herse is that WTB is slow and RH is fast and way more fun. I have had RH tires on at least one bike for the past 7 years now and I find them outstanding. The Schwalbe G-ones are hard to beat as well, but they do not last more than 1500 miles before they become center slicks on the rear.
Old 04-27-21, 02:54 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Used the ReneHerse 38mm knobby extralight at times for a mixed road/gravel/rocky in the wet.
For their 3mm knob height, rolling on road is pretty good. Heaps of climbing grip across loose.

Never tried them in strictly mud, but across wet gravel etc, they're very good.
Old 04-27-21, 01:17 PM
Hmmm

Love the responses! Keep them coming! Thanks everyone!
Old 04-27-21, 01:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Yeah my experience with WTB and Rene Herse is that WTB is slow and RH is fast and way more fun. I have had RH tires on at least one bike for the past 7 years now and I find them outstanding. The Schwalbe G-ones are hard to beat as well, but they do not last more than 1500 miles before they become center slicks on the rear.
Do you stock Rene Herse?
Old 04-28-21, 09:33 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
Test after test shows WTB rolling like crap against apple-apples tires...

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...gravel-reviews
Too bad the test doesn't include the Resolute apples. It does however include the WTB Riddler which outperforms the Stellacoom ( a 38mm Hurricane Ridge according to BRR) in rolling resistance at low pressures. None of the tests are for tubeless and all are for diamond plate, if that is your chosen surface.

I ride 700c x 42 (43.5mm measured) Resolutes which have performed well: easy to mount, no weeping and no flats that weren't fixed by the tubeless fluid. Good grip for the steep trails and loose/dry conditions I ride, though inevitably the edge grip becomes less reliable as the wear down. I wish they lasted longer. They are also surprisingly quick on the road, though I'm there rarely. I have considered the Rene Herse but the price is daunting. Im sure they ride great as well
Likes For Bingod:
Old 04-29-21, 03:15 AM
Hmmm

This is all great info. I should dig up the master tire thread. Just discovered the Challenge Gravel Grinder in 700x42, G-One Bite in 700x45 and Maxxis Rambler in 700x45. I have 40mm Ramblers and love how fast they are.

Basically I'm on the hunt for anything that rolls fast but can handle the occasional dry CX race with the volume between 700x42-700x45.

I have a love/hate relationship with the endless options of gravel tires.

Thanks for all the tire talk.

Last edited by Hmmm; 04-29-21 at 07:55 AM.