Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday Pocket Llama - Forum Newbie

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 05:45 PM
bikemum

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to cycling. I've been riding since I was a kid, and started commuting and traveling in my mid-20's.

In 2008 I picked up my Pocket Llama from the factory in Eugene. I rode it throughout the USA while on a cross-country road trip.
From 2010 thru 2014, I had no car and used my Pocket Llama for every day commuting.
From August 2014 thru May 2015, I rode across Europe solo, and then did a little riding in SE Asia.

All that totaled around 40k kilometers, very roughly.

After all that riding, I was done for a while and put my bike away with the intention of doing a MAJOR overhaul in the future, as I'd ridden it into the ground.
In the intervening years, I've got married, immigrated to the USA, had two kids and bought a home. After having my bike shipped from my home country, I have sent it back to the factory for a major overhaul. However, I'm going to replace all the parts myself over time. I had always wanted to upgrade all the parts and now that I'm "settled", I can afford to do so.

It's been a while since I've really done much work on a bike, so I need to get back into it. I'll be posting on this forum and generally searching the web for info on parts, compatibility, and basically building a bike, specifically my Bike Friday Pocket Llama.

If you have any experience doing major work on a Bike Friday, I'll be interested in your opinions and thoughts.

And if you have any questions about Bike Friday, or the Pocket Llama (which is no longer in production), post below. Happy to chat.

Thanks all
Likes For bikemum:
Old 09-15-23, 05:30 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 74 Posts
The nice thing about BFs is that they use normal parts. So hubs, seat post, etc, can be off the shelf parts. The pivots (at least on my Crusoe) are super simple, just pull the bolt and grease it.

The only mildly tricky thing is the cable routing, to allow enough slack in the right places to allow for the fold. But just take some pictures of the current setup before you pull any cable housings for replacement, and you're good to go.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 09-15-23, 04:43 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
I've had a New World Tourist for 20+ years. I bought it used from BF/GG, and I replaced nearly all the parts on it over the years. As noted above, BFs use standard parts, which is appreciated when one has a good stockpile of componentry that can be used.

Its current configuration: Richard C. Moeur - The Bike Friday
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-15-23, 10:07 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
The nice thing about BFs is that they use normal parts. So hubs, seat post, etc, can be off the shelf parts. The pivots (at least on my Crusoe) are super simple, just pull the bolt and grease it.

The only mildly tricky thing is the cable routing, to allow enough slack in the right places to allow for the fold. But just take some pictures of the current setup before you pull any cable housings for replacement, and you're good to go.
hey seat_boy
I just picked up a Diamond Llama a few days ago. I've only had to adjust the F&R hubs because they were way too tight.
But in the far future when it's time for new cables I probably would not have paid particular attention to the housing layout/slack issue and probably would have been struggling/re-replacing the new housing.
So thanks for saving me from some future aggravation.
regards
Likes For HelpSingularity: