Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for some warm shoe covers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 04:23 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

Hello,

I was wondering if someone knows where to find warm shoe covers for $50 or less? Got a pair of look style shoes and a pair of spd shoes. Need something that can work with both. For a frame of reference, I rode in 36 degree weather last night (northern Georgia) and my feet froze with basic shoe covers (think they are wind blocking only).

Dave
Old 11-01-19, 05:51 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Ever consider making your own? They'd be a lot like a high-top moccasin and not that hard to make. That's what I'm going to do with my next pair.

Cheers
Old 11-01-19, 08:31 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Neoprene material is what you want.
All my bikes have the same pedals, so I finally bought winter shoes

Also, check the WINTER forum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-02-19 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-01-19, 09:01 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Neoprene material is what you want.
All my bikes have the same pedals, so I finally bought winter shoes

Also, check the WINTER forum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/
Thanks, didn't know there was a winter forum!
Old 11-01-19, 09:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Aerotech Designs Shoe Covers and Toe Warmers
Old 11-01-19, 10:02 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
As long as it isn't wet, I really like Defeet Slipstream shoe covers. Unlike neoprene and coated lycra shoe covers they breath and your feet stay drier and consequently warmer. LINK
Old 11-01-19, 10:46 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
cheap ebay wind blocker covers are perfectly fine, but wear double layer sock comprising of a thin inner dress sock and a wool outter sock. I usually have a pair of winter shoes that is half a size larger for double layer socks. Beats any thick and awkward feeling neoprene covers that still don't keep you as warm
Old 11-02-19, 07:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
+1. Another brand with a decent lineup is GripGrab -- and they have sizes for those with Frankenfeet (ie. larger than EU48s).
Old 11-02-19, 07:45 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I'll second Gripgrab. I've tried a few, they work best for me.
Old 11-02-19, 08:05 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I guess if you wanted to go crazy you could find a dive shop and have a custom pair made for you. A dive or surf shop usually has connections as to where you can get custom made stuff.
Old 11-02-19, 09:04 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
cheap ebay wind blocker covers are perfectly fine, but wear double layer sock comprising of a thin inner dress sock and a wool outter sock. I usually have a pair of winter shoes that is half a size larger for double layer socks. Beats any thick and awkward feeling neoprene covers that still don't keep you as warm
Instead of buying a cheap set of outer covers. Put a gallon plastic bag between the sock layers. Can't get much cheaper. Yes it will make your feet sweat, but no more so than a neoprene bootie and being between two cloth layers will help absorb some of it. And it won't interfere with any type of cleat you may be using.
Old 11-02-19, 10:07 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Get rid of the clipless set up, and get some platform pedals with insulated winter boots designed for winter.
Old 11-03-19, 08:30 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by 02Giant
I'll second Gripgrab. I've tried a few, they work best for me.
Looks like grip grab is the way to go. They have 4 mil thick neoprene shoe covers (race thermo) for $60. Can't find anything as thick for the $.
Old 11-03-19, 11:02 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
When shoe covers didnt exist, we took some newspaper and wrapped it around the toe of the shoe and then pulled an old pair of socks over our shoes. Cut a slot for the cleats. Worked very well.
Old 11-03-19, 11:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier WxB covers, but any similar shoe covers will do. The main difference will be fit and closure. I'd rate the PI covers a 9 for overall quality and warmth down into the 30s (F) but only a 6 or 7 for closure. The Velcro closures hold securely but are a bit finicky to fasten properly for best wind resistance and longest life.

The PI covers are stretchy and relatively easy to fit over my Scott and Fizik shoes and cleats, but the snug fit means I'm wrestling a bit with the heel closures. Usually takes me a couple of tries to get the Velcro strips matched up. If I were a commuter I might find that irritating but I'm retired and rarely in a hurry. But check user reviews for comments on fit and overall experience.

Do consider the fleece lined types, no matter which brand you buy. These keep your feet warm and dry by creating a tiny airspace that retains warmth and enables circulation to minimize trapping sweat. Without at least a thin fleece lining it's pretty much like wearing plastic baggies, a good way to get trenchfoot and frostbite.

I expected the PI cover fleece to wear out quickly but I'm on my second winter with 'em, using the covers only once or twice a week, and so far the lining has held up very well. The only wear I see is to the knotted stitching by the heel where I've gotten careless a few times with the Velcro closure and ended up walking briefly on the stitched hem, which should have been far enough up on the heel to avoid contact with the ground. My fault but, again, fit and closure are important. The better it fits and easier it is to close, the more likely it is to last longer.

Interestingly, the PI covers actually make it easier to clip in/out. I suspect the material grabs the Look and Shimano SPD-SL pedals and flips them into position without my usual over-rotating and fumbling. Absolutely no problems with using them on those clipless systems.

For me, temperature in the 50s (F) is getting chilly, so I wear these when other folks are still in summer gear. And my Scott Road Pro shoes are summerweight shoes, basically like sandals with some mesh fabric in the non-critical areas, very well ventilated but not for winter use. And they fit so perfectly (snugly) that I can wear only a single thin sock. Doubling up on socks or thicker socks compress my feet just enough to hinder circulation, so my little toes will feel frozen even when the temp is only in the 40s or 50s. But with the PI shoe cover I can wear the appropriate thin socks and still stay warm. My Fizik shoes have enough room for thicker or doubled socks, and are only moderately vented, so I'll wear those more often in winter.

Another trick is to line the shoe (preferably between insole and shoe) with aluminum foil. But this can be uncomfortable and will crumble quickly. Aluminized Mylar from those ultra-thin rescue blankets might work better -- I carry those rescue blankets in my saddle bags already for emergencies.

And when the temp dips below freezing, I switch to my hybrid with platform pedals and insulated winter boots.
Old 11-03-19, 01:07 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
They exceed your $50 limit but the warmest shoe covers I have are some Endura insulated covers, similar to these. If you already have covers try putting a chemical hand warmer between the cover and the top of your shoe. We do this skiing when it gets really cold (-0degF), and I've done it when out on the fatty in really cold weather as well. It works surprisingly well.

FWIW I just got back from a ride where it was 34degF at the start. I had thin polypropylene liner socks on under a normal pair of cycling socks, and some neoprene toe warms over the outside of my normal cycling shoes. My feet were nice and toasty. For me shoe covers aren't needed until it gets under 20degF.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Another trick is to line the shoe (preferably between insole and shoe) with aluminum foil. But this can be uncomfortable and will crumble quickly. Aluminized Mylar from those ultra-thin rescue blankets might work better -- I carry those rescue blankets in my saddle bags already for emergencies.
Same trick we use on the xc-ski boots. It makes a noticeable difference, but it isn't going to make a cold pair of shoes warm. The rescue blanket material holds up well. You need to tape them to the bottom of the insoles to get them in the shoe without crumpling them, however.
Old 11-03-19, 02:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I shopped GripGrab when I was looking for warmer covers about 18 months ago, but they didn't have sizes big enough-- it appears that they do now. Expensive, though.

I don't for a moment regret buying a dedicated pair of cold weather boots. Then again, I have perpetually cold feet-- my feet are cool to the touch right now, and it's 74º in the house.

Riding in the 40s and 30s? My feet get so cold, they hurt for several hours after the ride is over. Well, they used to.
Old 11-04-19, 01:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Thanks for the GripGrab reference. I put 'em on my shopping list for winter gloves.

For three years I've used a pair of Bontrager RXL Thermal lightweight cool weather gloves, which have been terrific -- incredibly tough yet soft, no padding, just a patch of tougher material over the high wear areas, which includes the palms that have been scraped a couplafew times catching my falls. I got 'em in large to leave room for knit microfiber liners for chilly weather. But they're not quite warm and wind resistant enough below 40F.

I've been using a $10 pair of no-name ski gloves for cold rides, remarkably good quality for the money. Got 'em from Walgreen's a couple of years ago when the neighborhood store happened to stock some decent but cheap winter apparel. Thinsulate insulation, which is really good stuff. Same construction quality and materials as my pricier winter gloves from ski and outdoor shops. And these cheapie Walgreen's gloves have enough flexibility between the thumb and forefinger web to be useful on a bike -- the others didn't. But they lack any grippy material and riding the hoods on my drop bar road bikes feels dicey. So I save these gloves for my hybrids with flat, riser or swept bars, where there's more physically strong "lock" between hand and bar.

GripGrab gloves don't seem overpriced, especially if you compare with serious ski and outdoor gloves. I may give 'em a try. $50 doesn't seem expensive when you're an hour from home and your fingers have gone from reddish burning and stinging to numb and blue.
Old 11-04-19, 08:47 PM
Alex Atkinson
mechanic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't think anyone else is interested in winter equipment. Thanks to everyone for the good advice.