Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Garmin Screen

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Garmin Screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 10:59 AM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garmin Screen

Just wondering how people's touring screen differs from their day-to-day "training" screen. I'm thinking info such as Average Speed and Elapsed Time should be removed as they are not what touring is all about for me. Are there any analytics that make sense for touring but not so much for training?
Old 11-05-19, 11:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I use much the same screens for touring as training. Mine is set up so that if I've loaded a route, which I usually do, I have 4 data screens from which to choose, with slightly different data on each. I could have more if I wanted. I always have average speed, but like many other things, put it on a seldom watched page and never look at it until the end of the day's ride. It's useful data for planning future days. I use Elapsed Time to schedule eating and other activities, make sure I stay healthy and pedaling well. I can't think of anything which would be particularly useful for touring. I mostly watch HR or power, cadence, distance, distance to next, elapsed time, and speed.
Old 11-05-19, 11:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
I do have a separate screen that shows more navigation information, distance to next turn, time to next, distance yo end, name of street for next turn. I don’t have this on the regular data screen as I’m not always running navigation
Old 11-05-19, 12:37 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on what kind of "touring" you are doing.

I run an app on my tablet called GaiaGPS that has all the averages on the bottom of the map so I put my speed and cadence on the bike computer. I am set up so there are 2 maps - the tablet gives me a 7" screen to show a wider zoom range, whereas the screen on the bike computer is close-in. I just started using routing on the bike computer so the route and directions are handy over there.

As far as speed average goes - on my Edge 1000 the average is all up average, not moving. So I have to keep that in perspective. For trip planning what matters to me is the all-up average, but when I am riding it is the moving average. On the tablet I can monitor both at the same time. Then I can plan on-the-go better. If I have a schedule to maintain and others to keep in the loop on my timing then I have data I can better estimate from.

For a lot of my more regular rides I don't run the tablet. With only 2 data fields available on the Edge 1000 map screen I can't add much. Speed and cadence are the 2 I like to keep an eye on as I'm moving, but I would also like to see the distance. If I could see trip time, also, that would be awesome. So for me I have to move between 2 screens to see everything I want. Even if the map screen was shortened up to squeeze in the 4 data fields I could live with that on my regular rides.
Old 11-05-19, 12:40 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
I do not train, thus have no training screen. Touring, by row starting at the top, each row from left to right:
- speed
- GPS battery status
- moving average speed
- elevation
- overall average speed (includes time stopped)
- vertical speed (my GPS does not have a percent grade function)
- moving time
- trip odometer (I reset every day, so it is the distance that day)
- ETA at destination (not sure how it is calculated, sometimes appears to be far off)
- distance to destination.

I have no data fields on my map screen, when my map is up I do not want to consume some of the small screen for non-mapping duties.

I also have a separate heart rate monitor, inclinometer (level bubble with percent grade) and a bike computer that I sometimes use for cadence.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 11-05-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 01:50 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I have a different setup for Road and Mountain bikes, but for touring, I have these data. I have the navigation map next page.

Old 11-07-19, 03:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
Cropped part of the photo out of the photo I posted above so you can see it better.