Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bar tape tape

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bar tape tape

Old 11-11-19, 02:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Another electrical tape guy here. It works. But like redlude97 says, there's good electrical tape and bad. The range is just as wide as good and bad duct tape. I wrap my bars bottom to top so the bar tape ends coming rearward over the top. I cut it right behind the bulge of the brake cable. Wrap and cut the electrical tape the same way. That means I can place my hands anywhere on the tops while climbing hard and never pull the tape ends.

Easy, clean looking and durable. What''s not to like. (I like the shrink wrap idea except - easy? Pulling off the levers? And what if I want to move the levers a little fort better hand fit? I now have to cut that shrink wrap. Unwrap all the tape and pull the levers just to get the next piece started? With adhesive bar tape and good electrical tape I can almost always tweak the levers far from my shop and reuse everything.

Ben.
Old 11-12-19, 06:52 AM
GregU

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I re-wrapped my handlebar this weekend, and didn't finish it with electrical tape -- a first!

After previous wrappings, I'd use the tape included in most bar tape boxes, and then to make sure it held, give it a wrap or two of electrical tape. This time, I forgot where I'd put the electrical tape. What was in the box was long enough to make almost two wraps, more than I remember from previous wrappings. It's held for two whole days now.

What's other people's experience with the tape-that-comes-in-the-box? How well does it hold, is it really long enough, and does it hold on its own?
For C&V bikes, I use these plastic caps. I have them on 3 bikes.

https://www.arundelbike.com/store/#!...tegory=5832198

Likes For GregU:
Old 11-12-19, 07:02 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
pdlamb... congratulations! I like Benotto bar tape with the soft vinyl end caps the best but I'm an old school bicycle guy... just not old school enough to have used cloth and shellac! I start wrapping at the top and 'on top' pulling snugly the first few turns then easing tension a bit as I go until getting to the curved part of the bars where I start pulling harder again. I use some bits cut from the roll either side of the levers and wrap over those bits. A 'gap' in coverage will show otherwise and that just won't do! Then continue down until the bar ends increasing tension a bit. Tuck the excess inside the bar ends. Fit a bit of wood dowel into the bar end and heat the bar end with a 'blue wrench', wafting it all around the bar end. A cigarette lighter will work, so will matches! Unscrew the wood plug as it is removed then put on the vinyl end caps. Done!
Old 11-12-19, 07:44 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Is the result of using hockey tape as un-padded as say Newbaum's cotton cloth handlebar tape? I have two bikes with Newbaum's and love the look but generally much prefer some padding for comfort and increased grip. Arthritis is impacting comfort and my grip strength seems to slip a bit every year.

Old 11-12-19, 10:18 AM
shakey start

Bikes: Parlee Chebacco for now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Is the result of using hockey tape as un-padded as say Newbaum's cotton cloth handlebar tape? I have two bikes with Newbaum's and love the look but generally much prefer some padding for comfort and increased grip. Arthritis is impacting comfort and my grip strength seems to slip a bit every year.
The cloth tape is really the only thing I have found that works in the wet, ie rain or sweat. Since I like a larger diameter grip anyway, I just wrap it over a gel/foam polymer tape to give it dimension and cushion. Beware though, it does get dirty and fades much quicker than polymer tape.
Old 11-12-19, 10:39 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by shakey start
Beware though, it does get dirty and fades much quicker than polymer tape.
I use the tried and true approach and shellac the tape, it stays cleaner than cork which I also use, it cleans up very nicely with denatured alcohol and lasts for years, then when it needs a touch up the shellac can be reapplied. Don't use rubbing alcohol as it contains water.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 11-13-19, 08:25 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I've had good luck with Fizik finishing tape, the adhesive backed cloth Brooks stuff not so much. I always use good quality 3M electrical, and finish it with the supplied logo tape.

I like the feel of the faux leather Chinese bar tape. The finishing tape is a little stiff, but sticks well, even after re-wrapping to move the levers.
Old 11-20-19, 07:27 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
The best thing i have found is self amalgamating silicone/rubber tape. It seals to itself and becomes on piece. I used to wrap my girls field hockey sticks with it and they never had trouble with it slipping.