Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front brake release Shimano 105

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 03:02 PM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

So I have a single pivot, Shimano 105 front brake. The black release trigger (lack of a better word) is not functioning correctly. I'm baffled on how to adjust it/reset it in order for it to work properly. I'd like to reset it so it operates normally, being that when i move the trigger to the up position, the calipers open up to remove the wheel. Right now it's just the opposite. Lifting the trigger makes the calipers close down onto the rim. The cable is starting to fray and will need replacing eventually. The back brake release works just fine. Any helpful nuggets of wisdom?
Old 11-18-19, 03:34 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Is the orientation of the cable clamping bolt the same as the on on the back? It sound like you might have the cable passing through the inside of the caliper as opposed to the outside.
Old 11-18-19, 04:42 PM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Is the orientation of the cable clamping bolt the same as the on on the back? It sound like you might have the cable passing through the inside of the caliper as opposed to the outside.
Good question. I'll have to take a look tonight when I get home. Thanks for the input!
Old 11-18-19, 08:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
With a well working example (the rear) you have the example to duplicate after cleaning/taking apart/fixing the front. Corrosion/grime can hamper the QR's rotation within the arm and/or the cable fixing bolt within the QR's cam. Andy
Old 11-18-19, 10:57 PM
Hackman61

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
With a well working example (the rear) you have the example to duplicate after cleaning/taking apart/fixing the front. Corrosion/grime can hamper the QR's rotation within the arm and/or the cable fixing bolt within the QR's cam. Andy
Thanks Andrew. I was thinking the same thing. The rear brake works, just make it like that.