Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Myles Garrett

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Myles Garrett

Old 11-15-19, 03:52 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Myles Garrett

If I hit somebody else at my work pace I would lose my job forever.
Old 11-15-19, 04:22 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 231 Posts
Why can't the NFL be like the NHL?
Old 11-15-19, 04:44 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 92 Posts
In before the move to P+R...

I think the media largely missed the fact that Rudolph first tried to rip off Garret's helmet:

...and then gave him a kick in the old twig and berries:

...which does not justify what follows, but makes it a real two-sided deal. I would suspend them both for 3 games and move on, though I doubt that is how it will be handled. Nobody should be tried by the media, no matter what they have done.
Old 11-15-19, 06:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 290 Posts
It's hard to say from the video whether Rudolph was trying to remove Garrett's helmet. He may have been trying to control his head movement. In martial arts that's one of the classic defensive moves, especially in a ground game with the defensive opponent on his/her back. Watch master boxers like Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Carlos Monzon and Saul Alvarez (Canelo). They all used gloves, forearms, etc., to control the opponent's head movement, or temporarily block the opponent's vision to set up for a counter punch or to move and get away.

Garrett's retaliatory move was more overtly offensive. Officials probably reviewed the tape in slo-mo and determined correctly who committed the most egregious foul. Although a full season suspension seems excessive. Might depend on Garrett's history. He seems like a magnet for problems, if not always his fault (such as being struck by a "fan" last month).
Old 11-15-19, 07:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Pounding somebody on the bare head with the helmet could be considered assault. Garrets going to be lucky they don’t toss his butt out of the NFL
Old 11-18-19, 04:16 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
If I hit somebody else at my work pace I would lose my job forever.
If you tackled somebody at your workplace you would lose your job forever.

Unless you are TERRY TATE OFFICE LINEBACKER

Likes For RubeRad:
Old 11-18-19, 05:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 290 Posts
I'm guessing Garrett may legitimately have had a PTSD defense for losing his temper. Remember that he was sucker punched by a stranger a month or so ago. The puncher posed as a fan to get Garrett off guard, then smacked him through an open car window. Garrett joked about it on Twitter, but that kind of thing can be hard to shrug off.

You'd think guys who hit each other for a living wouldn't be affected by random violence like that rest of us, but 't'ain't so. I never minded getting hit in the ring as a boxer. It's part of the game and you're mentally prepared.

But fights in real life are completely different. I was surprised how suddenly and badly my temper snapped when it happened to me. I'm just glad I didn't kill or seriously hurt anyone. It took awhile to regain my trust in strangers. Now I avoid confrontations or situations that might lead to confrontations.

I don't even go into bars anymore. Microbrewery tap rooms are usually more mellow, but whenever I visit a new place -- usually on casual group rides -- the first thing I do is check the mood of the crowd and look for people who seem tipsy. Especially young women. That's always a bad sign. They'll either flare up first or manipulate guys into fighting. During special events I even avoid my favorite local microbrewery tap room, run by some friends. Certain events, like the annual USMC birthday bash, tend to draw hot tempered men and women alike. Being a borderline hot tempered veteran myself, I know we don't really change with age. We just get a little slower and run out of gas quicker in fights.

Anyway, Garrett's reaction after the suspension and time to cool down will demonstrate what kind of man he really is.