Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Crash strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 01:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
.... this will be my last comment to you Mr. Maelochs.
Awesome! Thanks!
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-19-19, 04:30 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Sir Bedevere:
...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped.

King Arthur:
This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-19-19, 04:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I didn't notice that this was a continuation of your question, even if phrased belligerently, so I'll answer.

You absolutely need to find or estimate the time it takes to come to a stop, because the force you feel is the momentum change divided by the time it takes. Literally all of your horizontal momentum is accounted for in this phase (remember your vectors). Once you have done that, then you've accounted for all of the momentum changes and you'll know that vertical momentum is changed in a short time during the initial impact, and horizontal momentum is changed in the period where you are slowing along the ground. Exclusively in that phase.
I don't see any thing that is phrased "belligerently".

Here's your answer. Let's assume a 50kg rider traveling at 9 m/sec (32 kph or 20 mph). If we assume that the time to stop takes 0.1 second, the impact is 4500N. If we extend the time to 0.2 seconds...which is a very long time for sliding at 20 mph...the force of the impact is 2250N. For the metrically challenged, that 1100 pounds of force and 500 lb of force. Neither is going to leave the rider in great shape.

Your mistake was in assuming that all of the momentum "goes to zero" in the fleeting moments of initial impact.
The time of the initial impact is fleeting. You aren't going to be sliding on pavement for more than fractions of a second. You'd slide longer in your ice scenario but there is still a lot of force put on the body at 200 mph. At 100 mph on pavement, the stopping time would take longer but the force on the body would be significantly larger.

Regarding your answer to noglider, I'm afraid you got that wrong as well. You will find yourself sliding at 200 mph across the ice. If you believe that part of that impact is from the 200 mph, then where do you think that momentum went??? You're still the same mass, still the same velocity, therefore still have the same momentum.
At 200 mph ice isn't going to frictionless. Nor would it be all that smooth. A human body dropped from 2 feet at 200 mph is going to go through significant deceleration, probably lots of tumbling and end up broken and battered. Same thing happens at 100 mph. Look at the injuries that can result from a relatively short drop from a bicycle at only about 20 mph.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-19-19, 05:07 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Here's your answer. Let's assume a 50kg rider traveling at 9 m/sec (32 kph or 20 mph). If we assume that the time to stop takes 0.1 second, the impact is 4500N. If we extend the time to 0.2 seconds...which is a very long time for sliding at 20 mph...the force of the impact is 2250N. For the metrically challenged, that 1100 pounds of force and 500 lb of force. Neither is going to leave the rider in great shape.

That's not even close, sliding or rolling, and at least an order of magnitude off for rolling.

At 200 mph ice isn't going to frictionless. Nor would it be all that smooth. A human body dropped from 2 feet at 200 mph is going to go through significant deceleration, probably lots of tumbling and end up broken and battered. Same thing happens at 100 mph. Look at the injuries that can result from a relatively short drop from a bicycle at only about 20 mph.

You're getting there, realizing that the "200 mph" part is entirely separate from the "2 ft fall" part. ALL of the horizontal momentum is taken up by friction and by whatever rises from the pavement. NONE of the horizontal momentum is exchanged from the impact.

Now, to test your idea of "significant deceleration" and the tossing about, how much of your speed is reduced in say, 1 second, sliding on the flat, nearly frictionless, wet ice? Almost none? That means your change in momentum is also "almost none", which means you wont have those violent forces throwing you about.
Old 11-19-19, 05:15 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In a box-in accident, I'm putting my efforts into changing the direction of the bike to try to make the blow as glancing as possible and also hoping for a space to open up at the margin. The last time this happened to me, I was screaming so loud that I was able to get the driver to change course at the last possible millisecond, and the collision never occurred. At the speed I was going and the nearness to the vehicle, jumping off the bike would have been suicidal. And this occurred when a driver cut across four lanes of traffic at a high speed to illegally swerve into the breakdown lane directly in front of me, so please don't try to pin this one on me.
All accidents are different. The examples in my mind were, first, a riding companion maybe ten feet in front of me, stayed with bike, catapulted straight into car with his head, facial injuries, fractured skull, brain injuries, cervical vertabrae injuries, spinal injuries. Repetitive major surgery. Extended rehab. Full recovery, yay. Same happened to me couple years later. Very low car, an old MGA, would have gone over. And it was a steep hill. Catapulting over that car the landing zone was maybe 20, 30 feet lower. Like jumping off high board into an empty pool. Narrow little street, wasn't going that fast. Then neither was my friend. Got off bike, no problem. Bike catapulted over car, clattered down hill. Cosmetic damage only.

A much earlier incident I changed course so hard succeeded in pretzeling a Cinelli 1/A stem. Basically screwed bike into ground. Some other damage to bike. Again no injury to me. No way I could decipher if a rear exit off the bike would have worked better on that occasion.

Rear exit is not something most would even think of. Surprisingly easy once tried.

Oh, I found store stock for that large helmet. It fits. First one that fits in ten years. I have looked before. So thank you again.
Old 11-19-19, 05:26 PM
63rickert

Originally Posted by caloso
Boxed in during a crit, riders in front of you touch wheels and go down. You have nowhere to go except into or over them. Your chances of crashing yourself approach 100% so you do what you can to protect yourself.
Going over is easiest. Works quite well. Done it, three occasions. Does not injure riders in the pile either. What is required is a lesson. Once you see someone else do it seems very simple. And is.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 11-19-19, 05:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
My "belief" comes from my degree in Physics.
I'm laughing at myself, embarrassed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-19-19, 06:09 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm laughing at myself, embarrassed.
You can laugh at me for even getting into this. Nobody here wants a physics lecture from me, least of all me.
Old 11-19-19, 06:14 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
You can laugh at me for even getting into this. Nobody here wants a physics lecture from me, least of all me.
Does anyone want yet another Aikido on Ice lecture?

-mr. bill
Old 11-19-19, 06:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
OK, back on topic, as I said earlier, rehearsal is a very useful tool. It doesn't have to be a close-to-realistic simulation. I was amazed at how well it worked, because I didn't develop the technique for that reason.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-19-19, 06:18 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Does anyone want yet another Aikido on Ice lecture?

-mr. bill
Well yeah, that would at least be entertaining, and on topic of "crash strategy", What we probably don't want is more sniping from the peanut gallery.
Old 11-19-19, 06:33 PM
63rickert

High speed bike crashes on ice. Lots of them. There are other vids from other cameras, this one is good enough.

Mostly they get up and keep riding.
Old 11-19-19, 06:43 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

But if you want an easy way to visualize the problem, think about an iced-over lake. There's a thin film of water, super-slick. You're somehow going 200 mph, on an skate jet or something (made up device). You fall off, from 2 feet high. How hard do you hit the ice?
So to sum up, the best strategy for avoiding injury in a crash is to land on a sheet of ice. Got it.
Seems to be a huge piece of ice in the video on post 44.
Old 11-19-19, 06:57 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
High speed bike crashes on ice. Lots of them. There are other vids from other cameras, this one is good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2gwFkCU1Q4

Mostly they get up and keep riding.
Mostly, especially low side slides.

----------------------------

I've fallen off my motorcycles at speeds ranging from 0 to 70 mph with dirt bikes and street bikes. 0 mph were comical fall overs. All others were above 25 mph. My physical well being depended on if a part of my body gained traction on touching the ground causing me to tumble, or if I landed into something soft or hard.

Personally, I got lucky and only lost skin, got heavily bruised, and one bell ringer of a concussion* with a helmet on. Friends of mine suffered broken bones, head injury, one collapsed lung, loss of skin from road rash or burns, etc.

*one out of 5 concussions that I know of.

Last edited by FiftySix; 11-19-19 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 07:00 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
0 mph were comical fall overs.
But “Physics!”

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 11-19-19, 07:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Bravo, OP!
Old 11-20-19, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
All accidents are different.

Snip

Oh, I found store stock for that large helmet. It fits. First one that fits in ten years. I have looked before. So thank you again.

I suspect a lot of the argument comes from differences in speed and other riding habits as well as knowledge of our own reaction times. We can probably trade anecdotes for years and never get to any kind of conclusion.

Really happy the helmet fits you. We lucked out that they had one in stock at an lbs in Amherst, MA. My son was about as surprised as you that we found one that fit.
Old 11-20-19, 06:57 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

-mr. bill
Well, if you believe that everything is energy and the First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, then....existence has no beginning and no end. So there.
Old 11-20-19, 09:12 AM
wphamilton

Before it's a completely dead thread, does anyone still disagree with this?

"the added speed is parallel to the ground, and doesn't add anything to the vertical impact of the fall, right? The impact you feel from the speed is added by deceleration from friction, and whatever rises from the surface, including "concave up" shaped road grade. On a flat and smooth road, you could fall at 100 mph and that fall is not the danger. Getting part of your body wrenched back, or sliding into something, is where the danger is."
Old 11-20-19, 10:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts

"the added speed is parallel to the ground, and doesn't add anything to the vertical impact of the fall, right? The impact you feel from the speed is added by deceleration from friction, and whatever rises from the surface, including "concave up" shaped road grade. On a flat and smooth road, you could fall at 100 mph and that fall is not the danger. Getting part of your body wrenched back, or sliding into something, is where the danger is."
Depends.

Old 11-20-19, 11:00 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts

I have no disagreement with this whatsoever. In fact, I posted a video of a couple of Saudi's getting out of a car, on the freeway, at speed even(!) Just to show that with out the deceleration component (or change in velocity vector) no harm is done.
Old 11-20-19, 11:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

So let me get this straight--if I'm lying on the ground and someone fires a bullet at me from a gun 4 feet above and 15 feet away, I'll be fine because I'll only be hit with the energy of the 4 foot drop?
Old 11-20-19, 12:06 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
So let me get this straight--if I'm lying on the ground and someone fires a bullet at me from a gun 4 feet above and 15 feet away, I'll be fine because I'll only be hit with the energy of the 4 foot drop?
Totally fine because it missed you by 4 feet.

Even if it hit you (gasp) you'd still only suffer injury in relation to the difference in momentum imparted.

If it barely made contact (shallow velocity vector) it wouldn't impart that much energy & would do so over a large moment. You'd end up with a cut or less depending on how shallow it made contact and the path of the bullet little affected & nothing more.

If it made a direct hit (perpendicular vector) all of the energy would be imparted in a very short moment over a very tiny area. You'd have a tiny enterance hole & catastrophic amount of damage caused by absorbing a huge amount of energy in a very small amount of time.

This whole thread has circled the drain endlessly regarding rate of decelleration (or more directly rate of energy change) being the cause of injury. It's why cars have crumple zones & bullet proof vests do their thing. The force is distributed over a larger area for a longer time to reduce the force to a rate that can safely be imparted by the occupant.
Old 11-20-19, 12:11 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts

:
Old 11-20-19, 12:49 PM
wphamilton

No, as described above there are two components to the forces you'll feel. One, the momentum due to the fall. Two, the momentum due to the velocity. The bullet's momentum will result in piercing your skin and possibly other organs.

In falling, you have the same two components. Momentum due to falling is the same. But the effect of the linear velocity (ie, change in momentum) is distributed over time. The greater the time interval, the less force you feel. That's the main point of rolling, the other point being avoiding abrasion and localized forces on your skeleton and soft tissue. And the reason why sliding is better than hitting the ground and never moving. The longer it takes to stop, the less force there is.

If you meant that as a counter-example, do you see why it fails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.