Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 530 Bluetooth Problems

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-19, 10:26 AM
500lbman

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL7 S-Works, BMC Roadmachine 01 Four, Specialized Diverge Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Alloy, SE Bikes Fast Ripper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 6 Posts

Anyone have problems with this or similar unit staying connected to your phone? I have an iPhone X and tend to keep it in my saddlebag. It's 2 feet away from the Garmin and almost always loses connectivity 2-3 minutes into the ride. I tried keeping it in my jersey pocket yesterday and had the same problem. I use many other bluetooth enabled devices with my phone and have no problem staying connected even 15ft or more away.

Any suggestions would be welcome!
Old 11-17-19, 03:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by 500lbman
Anyone have problems with this or similar unit staying connected to your phone?
Garmin BT connection problems are ongoing and have been an issue across devices for about 2 years, with Garmin showing little initiative in getting the problems solved. I've an 1030 on the current OS v9 as well as an iPhone 8 on OS v13.1 and have reliable connections for the time being, but have seen issues with LiveTrack as well as the BLE pairing - which as BTW was mentioned when DCRainmaker called out Garmin in a recent article about how they've dropped the ball on BT.

That said, here's the Garmin recommended procedure for re-setting the pairing between device, Garmin Connect Mobile and smartphone. Note that it goes without saying that you need to absolutely make sure the Garmin Connect Mobile app is actually running when you want any of the realtime BT connections to work, I forgot that very basic function and would occasionally swipe off the GCM app and forget to re-start.

From the My Day page, select the More tab.

Select Garmin Devices in Garmin Connect Mobile

Select the Edge 1030.

Select the 3 dots on the top right and remove the device.

Remove from Bluetooth settings in your phone settings.

Remove Phone pairing from Edge
  1. Go to the Edge 1030 Menu.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Connected Features.
  4. Select Phone.
  5. Select Pair Smartphone.
  6. Select Forget this Phone.
Turn off the phone Bluetooth.

Turn off your device.

Select the More tab, on the lower right.

Select Settings.

Sign out of Garmin Connect Mobile.

Double tap the Home button on your iPhone (the round button the front) and swipe off all the applications.

Restart the phone:

Once your phone boots up turn on Bluetooth and make sure that location services are on.

Go to Connect app and sign in.

Select, Browse All Compatible Devices.

Select Edge

Select Edge 1030

Put the Edge 1030 into pairing mode.
  1. Turn on device.
  2. Go to the Edge 1030 Menu.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Select Connected Features.
  5. Select Phone.
  6. Select Pair Smartphone.
  7. Select Continue.
In Garmin Connect Mobile, follow directions to pair
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-17-19, 06:21 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Yea, I have also read about and seen videos regarding the slew of issues relating to Garmin and bluetooth. The other thing I would say is that I don't have these issues personally. So maybe I'm just lucky. I use a Galaxy S7, and have a 530 as well. I have not had any issues with it connecting while riding, but I don't use a seatbag. I either keep it in my shorts (if not riding seriously), or jersey pocket.
Old 11-17-19, 06:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,413 Times in 2,751 Posts
I had difficulty syncing my 530 and Android phone. I followed the exhaustive instructions (as above, IIRC) numerous times and finally it worked. The problem was I couldn't figure out what I did differently and so syncing wasn't easily repeatable. When I used the 530, I discovered other things I didn't like so it went back to REI.