Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Mustang SUV 'e':???

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 11-19-19, 09:21 AM
TRACKMAN
hide not your essence

Bikes: Airborne,Guerciotti,Jamis,Merckx,Paris Sport,Raleigh,Vitus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Killing me. Had a 65 ,67 fast back,69 ragtop. No more pony car, guessing Clydesdale?
https://www.motor1.com/news/382981/ford-mach-e-gt-looks-different/
Old 11-21-19, 03:07 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 156 Posts
Heard about this on the radio, thx for reminding me to go look it up.

How is that a SUV though?
Old 11-21-19, 05:16 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 97 Posts
Sorry, but to me a Mustang isn't a Mustang if it's not a car. Blasphemy to the name,IMO.
Old 11-21-19, 05:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 9730 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 246 Posts

So Ford managed to break the thunderbird about 60 years ago.

And now working on breaking the Mustang???

I could imagine things like a benefit of AWD. One could do some nifty things with electric like independent 4 wheel power, providing 4 driving wheels, and 4 motor redundancy on the road.

But, it should also be able to be made sporty.

Old 11-22-19, 10:19 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

0-60 in 3s for the GT, larger wheels&tires, lower front spoiler for better downforce. Sounds sporty to me.

I still don't see why they're calling it a SUV
Old 11-22-19, 07:46 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts
It is an SUV because it has a hatch. Sounds better than calling it a hatch-back, no? Reminds me of the Mustang II fastback. It also had a hatch and was called a hatch-back.

I think if they made an e-Mustang 2 door in the traditional sense, people who know the Mustang will shy from it because there is no roar of an engine. My best guess Ford is aiming the car at a younger crowd than the traditional Mustang owner. Female for sure. Under male or female 40 looking for some utility.

Tell you what, I'd take one in a heartbeat. Electric vehicles, when done up for performance, are wicked quick off the line! Real neck snappers!
Old 11-22-19, 11:05 PM
02Giant 
Home School Valedictorian

Bikes: 13 Orbea Orca 02 Giant Cypress 88 Mongoose ATB 79 frame-built to 80 spec. Schwinn Traveller

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 55 Posts
Why not?
You can have a traditional Mustang and a EUV.

Get over it.

Likes For 02Giant:
Old 11-23-19, 01:57 PM
'02 nrs
royaloaker

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell,4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TRACKMAN View Post
Killing me. Had a 65 ,67 fast back,69 ragtop. No more pony car, guessing Clydesdale?
https://www.motor1.com/news/382981/f...oks-different/
your confusing a crossover with a SUV. " That’s at least the story I heard from the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E’s Chief engineer Ron Heiser, who walked me through how the new “Mustang-Inspired” electric crossover is set up." https://jalopnik.com/a-look-at-the-engineering-behind-the-2021-ford-mustang-1839911078
Old 11-23-19, 02:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 9730 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
It is an SUV because it has a hatch.
Not everything with a hatch is a SUV.

The new MUSTANG STATION WAGON!!!!
Old 11-23-19, 02:38 PM
TRACKMAN
hide not your essence

Bikes: Airborne,Guerciotti,Jamis,Merckx,Paris Sport,Raleigh,Vitus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by '02 nrs View Post
your confusing a crossover with a SUV. " That’s at least the story I heard from the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E’s Chief engineer Ron Heiser, who walked me through how the new “Mustang-Inspired” electric crossover is set up." https://jalopnik.com/a-look-at-the-engineering-behind-the-2021-ford-mustang-1839911078
i read about the EV skateboard a while back.
electronicdesign.com/automotive/reimagining-ev-flat-platform-aim

My point is/was perhaps selfish.. Mustang, Camaro, GTO.. what they were.

.https://www.electronicdesign.com/aut...73&oly_enc_id=
Old 11-23-19, 05:12 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3083 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
This is a real Tesla kill’ah.

Ford’s first attempt at electric car is already beating the Tesla 3 in performance and price.

Add convenient dealer support everywhere. FTW.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 11-23-19 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-24-19, 10:37 PM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
This is a real Tesla kill’ah.

Ford’s first attempt at electric car is already beating the Tesla 3 in performance and price.

Add convenient dealer support everywhere. FTW.
A bad week for Tesla, their new cybertruck electric pick-up introduction was an embarrassment as the unbreakable windows managed to break....twice

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 11-25-19, 10:42 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

At a restaurant last night, one of the TVs had a car auction show on, I was following the captions, they had acquired and were authenticating for auction the Mustang Steve McQueen drove for the Bullitt chase scene.

The body was still in pretty rough condition, all badging removed, some parts with exposed bondo (just like the movie). Bigger engine supported by a custom truck suspension. All kinds of 1" square tubing welded to the bottom for camera mounts.

You can see the mounting hardware at 6:11
Old 11-25-19, 01:13 PM
base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 65 Posts
As cool as the Mustang is, I think reusing the moniker and calling it as something other than a sports car is a "Coke II" kind of mistake. "Mustang II" was a joke, as well. The marketing department is misleading with lies and deception about the DNA/lineage/history, whatever.

If Ford called it a 202X Falcon, Pinto, Maverick, or whatever, I think it wouldn't detract from the iconic history associated with the "Mustang" name...But they've shown they can screw up the Mustang & recover before, (ref '71-'73) so maybe all is not lost.

I learned to drive on a '63 Falcon station wagon, & the Falcon Ute (Australian version of a Ranchero) just stopped selling in Australia a rew years ago. So globally I think it's a safer bet than fussing with the Mustang's icon status.

Competing with decade old Tesla's? Ha! Yeah, right...Ford.

My money is on the Cybertruck. Clean sheet design, higher performance & utility in every metric with dimensions & price easily on par with anything from the Big 3...@1/3 the operating cost of anything internal combustion.

Last edited by base2; 11-25-19 at 01:18 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-25-19, 07:38 PM
'02 nrs
royaloaker

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell,4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
As cool as the Mustang is, I think reusing the moniker and calling it as something other than a sports car is a "Coke II" kind of mistake. "Mustang II" was a joke, as well. The marketing department is misleading with lies and deception about the DNA/lineage/history, whatever.

If Ford called it a 202X Falcon, Pinto, Maverick, or whatever, I think it wouldn't detract from the iconic history associated with the "Mustang" name...But they've shown they can screw up the Mustang & recover before, (ref '71-'73) so maybe all is not lost.

I learned to drive on a '63 Falcon station wagon, & the Falcon Ute (Australian version of a Ranchero) just stopped selling in Australia a rew years ago. So globally I think it's a safer bet than fussing with the Mustang's icon status.

Competing with decade old Tesla's? Ha! Yeah, right...Ford.

My money is on the Cybertruck. Clean sheet design, higher performance & utility in every metric with dimensions & price easily on par with anything from the Big 3...@1/3 the operating cost of anything internal combustion.
can any decade's old Tesla match the MustangE's numbers??? "The Mustang Mach-E GT makes 459 horsepower and 612 lb-ft of torque, and according to Ford achieves a zero-to-60-mph time in the mid-three-second range." https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...h-performance/
Old 11-25-19, 09:07 PM
base2 

can any decade's old Tesla match the MustangE's numbers??? "The Mustang Mach-E GT makes 459 horsepower and 612 lb-ft of torque, and according to Ford achieves a zero-to-60-mph time in the mid-three-second range." https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...h-performance/
Considering the Tri-motor pickup truck does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, and a run-of-the-mill Model 3 can do an eighth mile drag in the 7 second range, with a 3.2 0-60 I'm pretty confident. Thanks. Ford is years late to the party, & $10,000 overpriced for any performance & range level... but it'll sell well & make plenty of great YouTube videos for all of our collective entertainment. The more, the merrier.

I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.
Old 11-26-19, 12:21 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9406 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 571 Posts
Meh.
Old 11-26-19, 10:47 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Time to drop my favorite tesla video

Couldn't find the one I actually wanted, much better produced by a Top-Gear style show, where the reveal is a surprise after showing the Tesla pip the supercar at the line, and then you keep watching and see that all along it had been towing a trailer carrying another copy of the same supercar
Old 11-26-19, 10:48 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

And this is a fantastic webcomic/infographic

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s
Old 11-26-19, 01:29 PM
mtb_addict

Quoted: 3083 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
  1. 0to60 is just a small measure of performance. The fact is Tesla S is 5000 pounds due to battery. It is a severe disadvantage in a road course. It will get kill by any ICE race car.
  2. Mustang-E is much cheaper than the Tesla S. Compare Mustang-E to Tesla 3, the latter is no match.
Old 11-26-19, 01:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9406 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 571 Posts
Since most people buy cars to drive on roads with speed limits, the 0 - 400 mph performance isn't really relevant.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-26-19, 02:21 PM
base2 

Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
  1. 0to60 is just a small measure of performance. The fact is Tesla S is 5000 pounds due to battery. It is a severe disadvantage in a road course. It will get kill by any ICE race car.
  2. Mustang-E is much cheaper than the Tesla S. Compare Mustang-E to Tesla 3, the latter is no match.
Disagree. The Mustang is not cheaper, & apples to apples Tesla doesn't even have much in the way of tax credits left to play with & still holds it's own quite well. I suggest you go to each companies website & price compare based on performance capabilities.

FWIW: The Ford is 4390-4920 pounds depending on battery. Not enough difference to be significant. It sure reads awfully close to 5000 pounds to me.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, the super low center of gravity makes an EV Tesla or otherwise superior in handling on any road course than internal combustion.

While there *may* be a Shelby version at some may be time in the possible future...and we are bench racing hypotheticals...We already have a "Plaid"

Ford's Mach 'e' wall outlet charger only does 30 miles per night? My Nissan Leaf, on a trickle charger no less, charges at 5 miles peh hour! What kind of inverter losses are the Ford engineers ok with? The more I look, the more amateur hour Ford looks to be! Lol!

Internal combustion is so dead, and the car driving public don't even know it yet. In 10 years you won't be able to give a gas car away, for free even.

But I wish Ford luck. It turns out that while the world was shorting Tesla as a sure failure, making an electric car is really hard. Changing an industry by word-of-mouth? Even harder. If this is the best a compnany with the might & resources of Ford could come up with...it really is a good first shot that will no doubt inspire others to wade in the waters. What Ford does have in spades though is an advertising budget. That will gloss over a lot.

Lookin' forward to it.

I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.
Likes For base2: