Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Trek FX 7.5 Review

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Trek FX 7.5 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 05:53 AM
TrekJapan
Each Drop of Sweat Counts

Bikes: Trek FX2, Trek Verve 3, Dahon Launch D8, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
Trek FX 7.5 Review

Recently got a Trek FX 7.5. Actually went to the local bike shop to get a Giant Seek R1 however when I actually test rode the Giant I quickly fell out of love with it.

Started messing with other bikes in the shop and took the Trek 7.5 out for a ride. Rapidly fell in love with it.

I've had the need for kind of a hybrid / urban style bike for some time. I'm a weekend rider mostly and have a pretty short commute which I usually do with folding bikes. I have several Dahon's.

I had and sold a Trek SU 2.0 a while back and immediately regretted getting rid of it. It was the urban warrior, go to the store and haul back groceries bike.

Anyway, I've got a few longer rides under my belt now and think I can give a mini review of the bike.

First off the negatives. Its a price point bike, no doubt about that. Lower cost components to keep the sticker lower. First thing I noticed on the shake down ride was that the grips were crap. Not that the grips were not to my liking or anything else. They were crap. Sliding all over the place heck they practically freely rotated. Changed them immediately with Biologic Grips and Cane Creek bar ends. That was going to happen anyway so I don't really consider it too much of a deficiency. Still.

The seat post scratched horribly when making adjustments. The one in the store on the bike was all scratched up and they swapped it and gave me a new one. It scratched beyond belief on one adjustment. Replaced it with an higher end aluminum seat post painted the same color as the bike (white). Bought a Bontrager saddle as well.

The brakes were pretty squeaky and I haven't used them wet but I'm already thinking new brakes are in order. They stop me just fine but seem a tad weak. Weak, wet brakes are not fun.

The ride is exceptional. The riding position is just perfect. Upright but not too upright. Love it. The bike handles awesome as well. I can corner on it with more speed and confidence than my proper road bike. MASI Speciale. The Trek geometry or something is dead on perfect. This bike is a dream handling wise. I can really lay into corners and crank. Shifting is adequate. I suppose I could throw a big money group on it but why? It shifts when I tell it to and doesn't miss a beat. Middle ring in front and smallest cog on the back makes just a tiny bit of rub. I haven't fooled with it yet but am sure I can tweak that out. Actually the LBS says they'll do a free maintenance and check up at 30 days which is almost here. I'll tell them and let them do it.

If you are considering a Trek FX 7.x series its a great bike but just plan on replacing the grips, the pedals, maybe the seatpost and seat and most notably the brakes. I plan on slapping a rack and grocery panniers on it and hope they don't mess up the perfect balance and handling of this bike.

Even with reduced handling its still going to be better than anything I'm accustomed to.

My verdict. For the price you can't beat this bike but plan on spending a couple extra bucks after the fact to be insanely happy.

John
Old 08-04-10, 07:05 AM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also tell them about the squeaky brakes. they just need an adjustment and they should then be squeak free. nice bike.
Old 08-04-10, 03:25 PM
Brian T.

Bikes: '08 Schwinn Super Sport "Betty, '09 Trek 1.2 "Veronica"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Big fan of Treks. And there is a friend of mine that's wanting to get one. I'll give him a heads up.
Old 08-04-10, 07:04 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's one uncomfortable looking saddle tilt!
Old 08-04-10, 08:38 PM
TrekJapan
Each Drop of Sweat Counts

Bikes: Trek FX2, Trek Verve 3, Dahon Launch D8, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
I guess its just me but that's the way I prefer the thinner saddles. I crank the nose up and its not comfortable for me.

That pic may be a tiny bit out of perspective as well. The yard is sloped somewhat and the back tire is higher than the front a bit. I thought that too but it's not as prominent on a side view on level ground.

John
Old 08-05-10, 07:47 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's ok, if you start complaining about numb hands we'll just reference the picture

It's about what works though, and if it works for you it's good. I run mine pretty much dead level.