Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

NorCal Racing thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 02:19 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pretty sure that was the P/1/2 race.
Old 08-12-13, 02:23 PM
Jandro 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing I thought was odd/bad on the cameraman's part was that he moved out into the wind, up a few places, but then took a really terrible line into that last corner.

Then again, I'm a noob so maybe that wasn't as odd as it looked?
Old 08-12-13, 02:29 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Yeah this is 1/2's.

Usually Chuck Hutch is in a great mood, joking around and stuff.. (guy in green/red arguing)

Drama woo hoo!!

my race videos
Old 08-12-13, 02:31 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Jandro
Then again, I'm a noob so maybe that wasn't as odd as it looked?
It was a ****ty line, but that's just racing.

He (Eric, camera guy) says he was going straight before that, but it looks like he came inside too much before the turn, dunno why. Fwiw he's won p/1/2 crits around here, not someone I'd associate with crappy racing.

The other side of the story is that Chuck hates Mikes Bikes (black-kitted team that the camera guy is on), so no love lost here.

I think we need a camera view from behind all this, to see what the drama is really about.

my race videos
Old 08-12-13, 02:54 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Polemica! So now i guess i have to stick around to watch the 1/2 race to see the drama. Re the video: did any of that stuff result in any crashes does anyone know?
Old 08-12-13, 03:03 PM
mattm
**** that

I don't think so, since Chuck (Marc-Pro Strava guy) is sprinting at the end, but I think he's complaining that it slowed him down.

Maybe they almost crashed? Or maybe Cal-Giant guy crashed?

I will say that the Mike's Bikes/camera guy took a weird line into the final turn, and I can only assume it was on purpose, to block anyone from diving inside.

my race videos
Old 08-12-13, 03:15 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I can only assume it was on purpose, to block anyone from diving inside.
As someone who is new to this: What is different from that tactic vs. what UHC usually does when they guard the inside then swing out wide right before the turn? I've seen UHC cause some crashes with their moves, but haven't heard too many people get mad about it.
Old 08-12-13, 03:21 PM
mattm
**** that

The main difference is that you're not swerving at all, just taking a ****ty line on purpose to block.

I could be wrong, and really what he was doing was trying to just let his team mate by (the guy that won).

my race videos
Old 08-12-13, 03:25 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
line looks terrible. where is he going to go except across the path of ALL the people on the normal line heading into the corner like that?

*****ing probably won't make him any more popular in that crowd, either.
Old 08-12-13, 03:33 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The main difference is that you're not swerving at all, just taking a ****ty line on purpose to block.
I think the lesson for all here is that if you're going to take a **** line to block people, you better get there first
Old 08-12-13, 03:37 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Ygduf
*****ing probably won't make him any more popular in that crowd, either.
As long as you're winning, who cares if you're popular?

(is I assume the thinking here)

my race videos
Old 08-12-13, 03:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just meant that I don't know who made or shared that video, but I kind of like them less for having done it.
Old 08-12-13, 04:03 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
Polemica! So now i guess i have to stick around to watch the 1/2 race to see the drama. Re the video: did any of that stuff result in any crashes does anyone know?
I hung around and watched this race. No crashes that I saw due this incident. There was a pretty big pileup about halfway through that a few guys didn't get up from for some time though.

There was quite a bit of confusion near the end of the race as the officials forgot to flip cards for a few laps (shouldn't have had any impact to what was seen on the video). The the group of 9 or 10 in the video were about a half lap up on the main field with 4-5 laps to go and the official pulled the main field. A few in the main field were pissed because they knew they were about 30-seconds back but didn't know how many laps were remaining and argued they would have started to pull them back if they had known there were only 4 laps left, not 8-10. I think that challenge could have been due to the course being rather short (~0.5 miles) and groups being able to catch each other quickly.
Old 08-12-13, 08:37 PM
mattm
**** that

Looking forward to the Red Kite Crit on Saturday!! I'm in for the 2/3's and the p/1/2's (10 mins later ugh).

I'm 3rd overall in the series in the 2/3's, 4th is only 1 point behind me.. but I'm not too worried about the omnium, really I wanna win one of these damn races! Last few I've been super aggressive, thinking of calming down a bit and maybe waiting for the sprint, but it's becoming hard to just sit in lately.

Who else will be there?

my race videos
Old 08-12-13, 09:21 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll be there in the 3/4's. Should be fun as it will be my first race post cat 4 upgrade and its a mix with 3's. I've done a few 4/5s and that seemed fine so....why not.
Old 08-12-13, 09:49 PM
mattm
**** that

I wonder what setup of the course they'll use, so far they switched up the direction and finish every time.

good luck in the 3/4's!

my race videos
Old 08-12-13, 10:04 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder what setup of the course they'll use, so far they switched up the direction and finish every time.

good luck in the 3/4's!
Thanks. Good luck to you as well. I'm thinking I'll need it. Luckily it's not technical and I'll hang in and try to survive. From what I've seen, I THINK it will be counterclockwise.
Old 08-12-13, 10:05 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'll be doing Red Kite 35+ 3/4. My teammate is contending and I am looking forward to working for him. I'll probably do a second race, not sure what; depends on what teammates I have in which categories.
Old 08-12-13, 11:42 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
M3/4 and the M123s
I've been so damn close the last 5 crits.....is this the one where I get it right? M123's thats just for for self mutilation. I guess if i was a true sadist i would wait till the afternoon and do the 3/4s and the 2/3 in addition
Old 08-13-13, 01:15 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jandro
Early morning = sarcasm detector set to: not working.

FWIW I've raced with about the same group of people all the season as well but I still struggle to remember faces (names are pretty much a wash). I'm bad at that.
You are talking to a guy who will forget a name right after the introduction. So I understand.

Anyway will be skipping red kite and doing 2 wheel. Course and location seems familiar. Wasn't it part of some Masters championship last year? They combined 3/4s. Super fun crit, and not because I got top ten and third in 4s.
Old 08-13-13, 03:02 AM
Monaa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ericm, I do not have enough posts to send you an PM so i was wondering if you could send me an email at monalarsen75@yahoo.no regarding one of your earlier posts on prednisone. Sincerely Mona
Old 08-13-13, 10:17 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
You are talking to a guy who will forget a name right after the introduction. So I understand.

Anyway will be skipping red kite and doing 2 wheel. Course and location seems familiar. Wasn't it part of some Masters championship last year? They combined 3/4s. Super fun crit, and not because I got top ten and third in 4s.
How is the 2 Wheel Course? Any hills? I may consider doubling up races this weekend.
Old 08-13-13, 10:40 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could be wrong, and really what he was doing was trying to just let his team mate by (the guy that won).
That was an awesome video. As you can imagine I have had a conversation or two post race.
I have said before in a crit I am uber aggressive and don't take **** from anyone.
Cameraman's last lap imho was kinda sketchy, if he was blocking lines there is a different way to do it and the entry into the last corner 'could have' caused a much larger issue.
That being said when I am approached post race I usually try to have that type of conversation on a couple roll down laps. The two guys that stopped the Mike's Bike's guy approached it in an unprofessional manner, riding straight towards a guy to confront him like that only raises the drama. Guys who know I am a hothead will ride up beside and talk, I may not agree with what they are saying but I'm not going to escalate it like what happened here.
A lot of stuff like this gets out of control quickly (the two that stopped come from a pretty high level and could have approached it differently, nobody went down, nobody got hurt.
A little advice, any conversation post race is best to have much later when tempers have calmed down...
Old 08-13-13, 12:10 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
How is the 2 Wheel Course? Any hills? I may consider doubling up races this weekend.
Hmm, if it's the same course I am thinking of from last year it has a small roller. It's a tad steep (nothing like cat hill thought), for like 50ish ft, then turns in to false flat. Overall distance I think 3/4 of back of Berkeley crit.

Originally Posted by rkwaki
A little advice, any conversation post race is best to have much later when tempers have calmed down...
and adrenaline wore off.
Old 08-13-13, 12:13 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Hmm, if it's the same course I am thinking of from last year it has a small roller. It's a tad steep (nothing like cat hill thought), for like 50ish ft, then turns in to false flat. Overall distance I think 3/4 of back of Berkeley crit.

and adrenaline wore off.
Correct, poorly handled by all involved (kinda like the pot calling the kettle black...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.